Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Just curious, but why did we think that Photos was going to replace both iPhoto AND Aperture? Was it a case of bad journalism? A poorly worded press release? Hope? Because in my google searches for more clarification then I've seen every single Tech/Apple blog report the same headline regarding Aperture becoming Photos and claimed to have spoken with a PR Rep, but then the content quotes the official Apple Press Release which says nothing about Photos replacing Aperture.

Headline:
"Apple to replace Aperture and iPhoto with Photos.."

Apple Press Release:
With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.

With Photos in our hands now then, unfinished or not, its clear that this is NOT even close to being an Aperture replacement.

So... What happened that would cause every trustworthy tech site to push the same "Photos will replace both Aperture and iPhoto" line? Did Apple Reps get coached on wrong info? Did Apple change course during development? I'm not trying to slam Apple or Photos. I'm just admittedly bitter because I really wanted to stay within Apples fences and I feel like I just got pushed out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just curious, but why did we think that Photos was going to replace both iPhoto AND Aperture? Was it a case of bad journalism? A poorly worded press release? Hope? Because in my google searches for more clarification then I've seen every single Tech/Apple blog report the same headline regarding Aperture becoming Photos and claimed to have spoken with a PR Rep, but then the content quotes the official Apple Press Release which says nothing about Photos replacing Aperture.

Headline:

Apple Press Release:

With Photos in our hands now then, unfinished or not, its clear that this is NOT even close to being an Aperture replacement.

So... What happened that would cause every trustworthy tech site to push the same "Photos will replace both Aperture and iPhoto" line? Did Apple Reps get coached on wrong info? Did Apple change course during development? I'm not trying to slam Apple or Photos. I'm just admittedly bitter because I really wanted to stay within Apples fences and I feel like I just got pushed out.

I love Apple products, but let's be honest they are catering for the masses. The mases don't own a DSLR and don't want to do serious photo editing. Apple believe (or want us to believe) that an iPhone and photos is good enough for everyone.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
We knew Apple was doing a rewrite, and we know from experience what that means from most tools where they do this (FCP, iWork stuff, etc): 1.0 releases are usually significant steps backwards in functionality.

So nothing surprising here, in my mind, and wouldn't have thought it really would replace both of those things (iPhoto/Aperture). Apple's focus seems to be on ecosystem (sharing, syncing, storage) with this release. I'm filing numerous bugs on what functionality is there, and I'm sure many other devs are doing the same thing. Hopefully, some of those items will be addressed in the first or second releases.

While there's a lot of the usual "Apple doesn't care about <fill in your profession or hobby here>" (have they ever?), I do think the longer term will be solid basic functionality from Apple centered around devices/storage with any advanced functionality built by others (e.g. Pixelmator). I think personally that this is a good thing. They've totally revamped how Core Image/Image Kernel gets exposed and are (will be) opening this up on OS X like they do on iOS and this is adding tremendous potential. As a card-carrying pessimist, I expect very little and am surprised if/when something good happens, so we'll see. :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Or completely. (that might be quite a large understatement given Photos initial comments vis a vis Aperture)

Photos will never replace either Aperture or iPhoto completely. It apparently only allows for plug-ins that act as layers (like the current built-in editing functions in Aperture/iPhoto) so that their actions are reversible. Photos will never allow editing via an external editor and this will be a major limitation until compatible plugins are developed.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
because Apple said they were killing off iPhoto and Aperture and releasing photos.

It was implied, at least, that Photos would be highly extensible and allow for third parties to fill the gaps that Apple did not. How well this works in practice will not be known for a while yet.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
It's also the steady effort to make the Mac computer just like any other IOS device. Equivalence defines it down, while IOS develops, and eventually they'll meet in the middle.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never expected Photos to replace Aperture. In fact seeing what they did with iWork, I was expecting Apple to gut the photo app for all useful features and include some sort of iPhone integration, and lo and behold they did.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009

Headline:

Apple Press Release:

I think the biggest problem there was assuming that tech sites are trustworthy. They like all other forms of media have to play the game in order to get acces.

I don't think apple changed their minds mid cycle on developing photos. What we have is what was shown on stage. I think they may have been hopeful it would work for most users which is their target market now - they're no longer a niche player.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I suppose it replaces Aperture in the sense that it will be Apples only photo management/editing program, so has therefore replaced both iPhoto and Aperture. Rather than it being designed as an Aperture replacement in functionality.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
I suppose it replaces Aperture in the sense that it will be Apples only photo management/editing program, so has therefore replaced both iPhoto and Aperture. Rather than it being designed as an Aperture replacement in functionality.
Hahahaha…bam! That's exactly it. Well put.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I expect it to eventually be a better iPhoto replacement that works great for the masses taking iPhone and iPad pictures and positing them to every social media site so their friends can see them taking a selfie in front of the mall.

I never expected it to a replacement for Aperture and now LR goes mostly unchallenged in that area, which is okay if they keep good development.

Like Mayflynn said, it's part of their overall strategy. iWork, iLife, and Photos are all rebuilt (gutted) version of their prior apps with a focus on iOS and cloud connectivity. All advance features are removed.

It is my hope that as iOS and the cloud becomes more capable, they'll start adding to these apps, but I could see them just doing general maintenance to ensure the masses are happy.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
From Apple: "When Photos for OS X is available this spring, Aperture will no longer be available for purchase from the Mac App Store."

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Although the functionality of Photos currently appears woefully inadequate for me compared to Aperture, I am dubiously hopeful that third party plugins may return these missing functions. However; there has been a conspicuous absence of communication regarding this from Apple, or developers, which makes me nervous. Maybe in time.

I'll keep plugging away with Aperture in the mean time and see what happens; I really don't have the motivation to transfer my whole library to a completely new system right now.

On library management, I'm also concerned about how effective and comprehensive moving an Aperture library into Photos will be. I know that at minimum things like star ratings and ability re-manipulate brushes will be lost but what about the look of the photos once translated into a new paradigm. Anybody have any experience or comment on this?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Although the functionality of Photos currently appears woefully inadequate for me compared to Aperture, I am dubiously hopeful that third party plugins may return these missing functions. However; there has been a conspicuous absence of communication regarding this from Apple, or developers, which makes me nervous. Maybe in time.

I'll keep plugging away with Aperture in the mean time and see what happens; I really don't have the motivation to transfer my whole library to a completely new system right now.

On library management, I'm also concerned about how effective and comprehensive moving an Aperture library into Photos will be. I know that at minimum things like star ratings and ability re-manipulate brushes will be lost but what about the look of the photos once translated into a new paradigm. Anybody have any experience or comment on this?

I have the same dubious hope. Not a lot devs can do at this point on OS X as Apple hasn't yet opened up the API. They've only opened it up on iOS where the Pixelmator crew have started work. Will be interesting to see what will happen. My guess is Apple will add some limited functionality but leave the rest to third party vendors. Apple is I believe literally rewriting from scratch so it will be like others where they do this (FCP X, iWork apps, etc): very basic 1.0 release with additions as time progresses.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I had high hopes for Photos... based to some extent on articles like this and perhaps due to blind faith and enthusiasm. :eek:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/01/photos-editing-effects-plugins/

I didn't really have high hopes for Photos 1.0 (OK, perhaps just a little bit:)) but still maintain a perhaps misplaced hope for future iterations when they actually open up the API to third parties. Thankfully, because of your excellent and thorough review of C1, I've really started exploring that again, and should I ever need a one-size fits all DAM outside of its excellent RAW processing capabilities, I wouldn't hesitate to start using it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The key things about Photos....

When will Photos be able to handle plugins? There is nothing visible in the beta that indicates it is possible right now.

Who will adapt existing plugins or make new ones? How do we use Photoshop, Topaz, Nik, Perfect Photo Suite, DxO, or others?

And for those plugins that will be adapted or designed......WHEN? Today I could care less about what might be available in 5 years. If Photos does not have plugins VERY soon, no need at all. I will for sure stick with LR.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
The key things about Photos....

When will Photos be able to handle plugins? There is nothing visible in the beta that indicates it is possible right now.

Who will adapt existing plugins or make new ones? How do we use Photoshop, Topaz, Nik, Perfect Photo Suite, DxO, or others?

And for those plugins that will be adapted or designed......WHEN? Today I could care less about what might be available in 5 years. If Photos does not have plugins VERY soon, no need at all. I will for sure stick with LR.

If you want plugins in the current manner you're used to them (i.e. round tripping), you'll likely be waiting for quite a long time. The new approach is via extensions which allows any application to add to the render chain to make non-destructive changes to the image. This has been opened up currently on iOS Photos but not yet on OS X. Now, whether it will take 5 years, 5 months or 5 weeks, I can't say :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.