Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Maybe I'm an idiot, but, I thought that I could change the way my ATV3 connects to the network on the fly without affecting Airplay mirroring from my Mac.

Here's the deets: Apple TV 3, running the latest firmware available for it.

My iMac late 2012 iMac is running Yosemite 10.10.2. Today, I was playing around with Borderlands 2 in Airplay Display mode on my Pioneer PDP. All was well except for some annoying lag from the time I moved my mouse to the time my image moved on the HDTV. I switched over to Game mode, which I'll be darned if it didn't help a smidgen.

Then, I thought to myself "Self. I wonder if I could get rid of any more lag if I direct connected my ATV3 to my router via ethernet cable instead of wi-fi?"

Myself thought it was a good idea, and I fished out a cable and connected it to the router. After about 5-8 seconds, my game image faded away, and it took me back to the ATV main screen. I went to my iMac to reactivate Airplay Display, and a pop-up said it couldn't connect.

I rebooted my ATV and tried to connect again. No go.

Other ATV3 functions work fine. Just not Airplay Display.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Did you use the same or another IP address for the eth0 interface?
Agree with above. Reboot the mac.

Maeonides

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
You may not be an idiot but I am; My airplay was not working because I had the firewall blocking all incoming connections...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.