Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at Apple's special media event, HBO CEO Richard Plepler took the stage with Apple CEO Tim Cook to announce HBO Now, HBO's new standalone streaming service. The announcement comes just under a week after it was first reported.

f1425920893.jpg
The new service is exclusive for Apple TV and other Apple devices for $14.99 a month. The service will be ready in time for the series premiere of HBO hit show Game of Thrones on April 12, and users who sign up for the service in April will receive the first month of HBO Now for free.

HBO Now will feature all of HBO's original content, past and present, as well as its entire movie catalog. It appears to available only for customers in the United States, and, according to John Paczkowski, will be exclusive to Apple devices for three months.

Article Link: HBO and Apple Announce 'HBO Now' Exclusively for Apple TV and iOS Devices

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
HBO customers who subscribe through cable have to pay for another service? They must be drunk, hold I got Charter Communications and they blame Apple for no access.

Going back at drinking some kool aid.:rolleyes:

----------

It begins

The day of cable / satellite subscription tyranny is over.

Yeah great and now they will ruin internet streaming soon like cable thanks for this.

seamusk

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
I wonder if it works in web browsers? Or if it's specifically app limited.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
I've a feeling Apple & HBO are going to be disappointed with the uptake numbers of this new service.

There's only so many services people can afford... music service (Spotify), cable service, Office 365 service... the list goes on. And it can only last for so long.

But then again, I'm probably wrong.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Hey cord cutters, you want HBO content independent of a cable subscription? Well we've done that for you, but you have to buy an Apple TV because we can't have you being a part of another company's ecoysystem. HBO And Apple are master trolls. Jesus.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I hope there's no contracts. I only watch two shows on HBO currently, so it would be nice if I can subscribe for one month after a season ends, watch all the episodes, and then cancel. I'm currently pirating all the episodes after a season ends, but I would rather do it legally if it's easy and cheap.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Out-freaking-standing.............. and the price is nice!!!

I'm happy to see it happen, but I can't say I'm happy with the price. Doesn't stand up well against Netflix's huge library for $9.99 or other competitors.

I understand that HBO has original content, but there is also so much less of it by comparison that I have a hard time justifying the additional premium. It just isn't a one-stop shop, y'know? HBO Now will always be in addition to another subscription if their content breadth doesn't improve.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I'm happy to see it happen, but I can't say I'm happy with the price. Doesn't stand up well against Netflix's huge library for $9.99 or other competitors.

I understand that HBO has original content, but there is also so much less of it by comparison that I have a hard time justifying the additional premium. It just isn't a one-stop shop, y'know? HBO Now will always be in addition to another subscription if their content breadth doesn't improve.

It includes a fairly large and constantly rotating selection of mostly recent, mostly popular movies. Not as big as Netflix, but a selection some people prefer. Netflix does give you a great selection of TV though. But I see very little overlap between Netflix and HBO.

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008

See, I think the price point is great. I have DirecTV and having HBO, which is how I get access to HBOGo, costs me over $20 a month based on the premium channel and the bundling.

Here the ultimate thing, this price point and accessibility isn't going to lead me to cutting the cord, but what it is going to do is light a fire under DirecTV (and all providers) to move to a la carte packaging and more aggressive pricing overall. Basically, I am going to take this new option of HBONow to DirecTV and get my bill cut by a 1/3rd, all to they can keep my business (which they'd likely never lose).

More ways access to HBO = more competition for my business = lower prices on all option.

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
If I didn't have Amazon prime I'd definitely get this. There's quite a bit of crossover of selection of shows esp those that were done 3 or more years ago so the Prime selection will do for now until I exhaust them all.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Hey cord cutters, you want HBO content independent of a cable subscription? Well we've done that for you, but you have to buy an Apple TV because we can't have you being a part of another company's ecoysystem. HBO And Apple are master trolls. Jesus.

Last I heard HBO Now will also be on Google Play so your comment makes no sense.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
The first month is free.

So, does that mean I can binge watch all of Game of Thrones in that first free month, then cancel the service before incurring a fee?

----------

Last I heard HBO Now will also be on Google Play so your comment makes no sense.

The HBO CEO said that Apple is HBO's "exclusive partner at launch".

So I'm guessing it's only available on Apple TV at first, though I'm sure it will probably migrate to other devices eventually.

Apple must have paid HBO a pretty penny for exclusivity up front. And with their decision to drop the Apple TV price by $30, it's clear Apple still wants to compete in this arena, even if they are lagging on hardware updates.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
The first month is free.

So, does that mean I can binge watch all of Game of Thrones in that first free month, then cancel the service before incurring a fee?

----------

The HBO CEO said that Apple is HBO's "exclusive partner at launch".

So I'm guessing it's only available on Apple TV at first, though I'm sure it will probably migrate to other devices eventually.

Apple must have paid HBO a pretty penny for exclusivity up front. And with their decision to drop the Apple TV price by $30, it's clear Apple still wants to compete in this arena, even if they are lagging on hardware updates.

Apple TV is lagging more than just in Hardware compared to Roku such many missing streaming service or the options like Roku playing games.

Apple TV is probably the only hardware for some reason Apple really doesn't give attention much.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
The first month is free.

I wish. GoT airs an episode a week. With ten episodes, it will span into early June. So you're paying at least 30 bucks.

HBO Now is exclusive to Apple TV at launch. No word on how long the contract lasts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wish. GoT airs an episode a week. With ten episodes, it will span into early June. So you're paying at least 30 bucks.
Or you get the service in June or so and watch them all then.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Or you get the service in June or so and watch them all then.

Well the first month is only free if you sign up in April. If you sign up in June to binge watch, you're paying $15. Either way, you can't watch GoT free.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well the first month is only free if you sign up in April. If you sign up in June to binge watch, you're paying $15. Either way, you can't watch GoT free.
Ah, overlooked that part of it.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing is happening to HBO go I hope. Since I have a cable subscription with hbo already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.