Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Announced in conjunction with the new line of MacBooks revealed at today's "Spring Forward" event in San Francisco, the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor will allow users a dock-like experience with included HDMI, USB 3.1, and USB-C inputs located on the device.

MJ1K2.jpg
Mainly featured will be the ability to mirror a MacBook's display onto an HDMI-connected screen. The adapter will allow users to play a wide range of video content, including movies and captured video, at up to 1080p HD.
This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p HD. It also outputs video content like movies and captured video. Simply connect the adapter to the USB-C port on your MacBook and then to your TV or projector via an HDMI cable (sold separately).
Apple also noted that the other two inputs on the device, USB 3.1 and USB-C, will be able to be used simultaneously. Ultimately aimed at providing a bit more accessibility to the lone USB-C port located on the new MacBook line, the Multiport Adapter will allow users to mirror their display, charge an iPhone, and make sure their MacBook doesn't run out of power at the same time.

A similar device, the USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter, will allow all the same features, but let users connect their MacBook to a VGA-enabled display, with all of the expected USB 3.1 and USB-C features as in the HDMI model.

Though currently unavailable, those interested will be able to pick up the Multiport Adapter from Apple's online store for $79.00.

Article Link: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter for New MacBook Includes HDMI and USB 3.1 Connectors

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
First, they came for our USB ports, and we did not speak out, for we had Bluetooth mice.

Then, they came for our Displayport connectors, and we did not speak out, for we rarely used external monitors anyway.

Then, they came for our Magsafe, and we did not speak out, for none of our friends or family would ever be so clumsy as to trip over our 2m power cable.

Then, they charged us $79 for a dongle which added these things back -- but there was nothing left to connect.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobob

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I like this new port, but hate the idea of not having a magsafe connected charger. The power cord gets torn off my laptop all the time.

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Whatever Apple... just so long as you always remember what "Pro" means you can do whatever you want with this kid stuff.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
You might as well mention the other USB-C accessorries in the apple store.

Theres a VGA adapter instead of HDMI for the same price, USB-C cable 1m $19, 2m $29, The charger for $49, extension cable for the power supply for $19

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I like the Mag Safe power cable on my MBP.

This seems silly at first for a "clean" one-port MB only to have a big ol' dongle hanging off it...

BUT, this is an ultra-portable laptop and perhaps you don't need everything plugged into it at all times.

My work machine has: Power, Ethernet (I could use WiFi but it messes with Magic Mouse sometimes), HDMI adaptor for second Monitor, USB for keyboard, USB for iPhone (but rarely use it) and Headphones.

I have to plug 5-6 cables in everyday...but with the new MacBook and USB-C setup I only need 2 plugs...headphones and everything else...and deal with Magic Mouse woes.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's a bit weird that the MacBook has no MagSafe. You'd think they could engineer a USB connector that latches that way, but it would probably go against the spec. $79 is a bit steep too. Although I would gladly take a similar adapter at that price for Thunderbolt that could power the system, run a display and connect another USB hub to it. One cable to rule them all!

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Definitely need a 3rd party expansion dock now.
Apple should have introduced one with a magnetic clasp.

Now it's a big waiting game.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The only move of Apple's today to be ballsier than a $17000 smartwatch.

Isn't it obvious? The purpose of the $17,000 Edition (and, to some extent, the $1000 Stainless Steel model) is to make the other Watches look cheap.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
You might as well mention the other USB-C accessorries in the apple store.

Theres a VGA adapter instead of HDMI for the same price, USB-C cable 1m $19, 2m $29, The charger for $49, extension cable for the power supply for $19

None of these support more than one USB device. A USB-C to two USB connector would be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.