Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
From what I've seen, the new MacBook Pro hasn't gotten much love during the event. Let's talk specs, price, whether you want it or can easily make do with what you have.

CJash

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
At the end of the day I think it depends on what you want to do with you mbp. Also it depends on if you want to play the tech game with yearly updates.

Even though specs are outdated in the mbp systems, they seem powerful enough for everyday use.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Even though specs are outdated in the mbp systems, they seem powerful enough for everyday use.

That's because the processors haven't seen a dramatic increase in performance since the jump to the 2nd gen Core i3/5/7 processors. Intel has focused on efficiency, so they have much better battery life, but overall performance has essentially stalled in the last four or five years, or even regressed (if you take the Core M as a sign). That's how the 2012 13" Macbook Pro can continue to be sold next to current models and still have roughly equivalent performance.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
The 13" rMBP got the new force trackpad (we'll see if it's a real improvement or not) and new Broadwell processors which improve the graphics with Intel's Iris 6100. I'd consider that a decent spec bump for that model. The 15" rMBP didn't get any love since Intel hasn't released those processors yet, so it's understandable Apple couldn't do anything with it yet.

charea

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I'm getting the 13 Pro

Frankly I was just waiting for the new i7-5557U processor at 3.1Ghz and Iris 6100. Instead I also got:

RAM: the 1600MHz DDR3L is replaced by faster 1866MHz LPDDR3
SSD: 2 x faster apparently.
Touchpad: with the fancy taptic sensor
Ports: dual 4K support thanks to the new Iris
Battery: 71.8wh got a boost to 74.9wh

So yeah, I'm pretty happy.
But obviously when Skylake takes off somewhere in 2016 all we will probably see a brand new design. But I can't wait that long.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I spent a pretty penny on my mid 2012-2013 rMBP. Been waiting to upgrade my baby because the battery is slowly dying. I'm disappointed that the 15 inch MBP never gets any love, year after year. Are they going to take it away like they did the 17 inch? It's been years since they've had a refresh or a real update. :confused::( I'm at lost.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
13 inch Retina MBP with 8 gb RAM, 256gb SSD and 2.7 GHz Core i5 now costs CAD$1799!!! :eek: That's what I paid for my 15 inch MBP with 4gb RAM, 256gb hard drive and Core 2 Duo 5 years ago... How times have changed. Now the cheapest 15 inch MBP is CAD$2449. Gonna save up for the new 15 inch model. I would love to finally experience Retina display on my MBP.

Last edited:

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
13 inch Retina MBP with 8 gb RAM, 256gb SSD and 2.7 GHz Core i5 now costs CAD$1799!!! :eek: That's what I paid for my 15 inch MBP with 4gb RAM, 256gb hard drive and Core 2 Duo 5 years ago... How times have changed. Now the cheapest 15 inch MBP is CAD$2449. Gonna save up for the new 15 inch model. I would love to finally experience Retina display on my MBP.

And the other 15" model is now $3049, a nice $350 increase for nothing (no updates either). Was looking to get one, but now there's no way.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
I was really hoping for some USB 3.1 and some DDR4 memory. :( I was looking at some geek bench results, the "13 MBP from 2014 is only 8%ish better than my 2010 MBP. :/ GeekBench was showing muticore results around 7600 for my 2010, but only 8600 for MBP '14.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I was really hoping for some USB 3.1 and some DDR4 memory. :( I was looking at some geek bench results, the "13 MBP from 2014 is only 8%ish better than my 2010 MBP. :/ GeekBench was showing muticore results around 7600 for my 2010, but only 8600 for MBP '14.

The highest score for a 2010 MBP was 4826 on Geekbench 3 for the 2.8 GHz 15" i7. The fastest 13" Mid-2014 scored 7197, which is quite a dramatic jump.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
The highest score for a 2010 MBP was 4826 on Geekbench 3 for the 2.8 GHz 15" i7. The fastest 13" Mid-2014 scored 7197, which is quite a dramatic jump.

2010 MBP 15"
I'm seeing close to 5k for Single and 10K for multi as the highest?
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/509212

Average was 4k for single and 8k for multi?
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/509127

Unless I'm totally missing something, which I could be.

Vs

2014 MBP 13"
3.5k for single vs 7.5k for multi?
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1466086

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I spent a pretty penny on my mid 2012-2013 rMBP. Been waiting to upgrade my baby because the battery is slowly dying. I'm disappointed that the 15 inch MBP never gets any love, year after year. Are they going to take it away like they did the 17 inch? It's been years since they've had a refresh or a real update. :confused::( I'm at lost.

Blame Intel for not releasing Broadwell-HQ chips.

If Intel had Broadwell-HQ chips available, Apple would have updated the 15" rMBP as well.

And I have to say that AMD is also to blame as well. They've fallen behind sharply when it comes to CPUs, so Intel can delay their own chips for as long as they want because there's no competition.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Hey, thanks for pointing it out, I'm not sure how/why the other ones were coming up, but I went and ran it on my system and you were totally right, I'm getting 2.2 on single and 4.7 on multicore. Sooo it's def time for an upgrade then.

I don't know - you have a good machine. I'd only upgrade if it isn't doing what you need it to any longer. Or, of course, you'd just like a new one - which I can totally relate to.

phrk

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Germany
Is the new rMBP capable of running a 4K Display at 60 Hz? Any idea?

EDIT: Oh, I just found out by myself that it's possible. Source

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
The macbook pro is not pro if the use of the letters p r o means professional.

I can understand fully, and back the decision to use non replaceable hardware in ultra portable devices such as the Macbook Air and the ipads and iphones. When it comes to the top end of the portable range of Apple products, the Macbook Pro, these need to have user replaceable parts.

I know many people use the Macbook Pro as the base for video editing, if they are needing to edit "on the road" then they use a Macbook Air along with FCP X and proxy media, the workflow for this is great, does not consume a huge amount of internal data on the SSD.

The Macbook Pro sits on a desk, connected to SANS, external keyboards, monitors, speakers, mice of one kind or another, generally not all that portable.

What is needed is a device that is small, portable with a screen larger than 13 inches, smaller than 27 inches.. This could be the ideal size for the 17inch Macbook Pro, small is does not need to be, it could have at least 32GB RAM, 1 or 2 TB SSD, and 4 USB 3 or the new new USB-C ports, you can never have enough ports!!

If this came out, I would sell my car in a heart beat, to be able to use FCP X, with enough screen real estate, and if need be, take my older retina mac on the road, I am all for that...:)

Smaller devices such as Airs, Macbooks could be pooled to create local render farms is such is needed...

I do not feel the current range of Macbook Pro laptops are professional..They are not...My 8GB retina macbook pro is a hunk of junk, creating proxy files chokes the RAM so it stalls.. this is what Apple calls professional...:(

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
The macbook pro is not pro if the use of the letters p r o means professional.

I can understand fully, and back the decision to use non replaceable hardware in ultra portable devices such as the Macbook Air and the ipads and iphones. When it comes to the top end of the portable range of Apple products, the Macbook Pro, these need to have user replaceable parts.

I know many people use the Macbook Pro as the base for video editing, if they are needing to edit "on the road" then they use a Macbook Air along with FCP X and proxy media, the workflow for this is great, does not consume a huge amount of internal data on the SSD.

The Macbook Pro sits on a desk, connected to SANS, external keyboards, monitors, speakers, mice of one kind or another, generally not all that portable.

What is needed is a device that is small, portable with a screen larger than 13 inches, smaller than 27 inches.. This could be the ideal size for the 17inch Macbook Pro, small is does not need to be, it could have at least 32GB RAM, 1 or 2 TB SSD, and 4 USB 3 or the new new USB-C ports, you can never have enough ports!!

If this came out, I would sell my car in a heart beat, to be able to use FCP X, with enough screen real estate, and if need be, take my older retina mac on the road, I am all for that...:)

Smaller devices such as Airs, Macbooks could be pooled to create local render farms is such is needed...

I do not feel the current range of Macbook Pro laptops are professional..They are not...My 8GB retina macbook pro is a hunk of junk, creating proxy files chokes the RAM so it stalls.. this is what Apple calls professional...:(

The upgrade people use to do on MacBooks, is -

1. Upgrade ram from the stock 4GB.
2. Change the hard drive to an SSD.

These are already done with the retinas. What exactly are you thinking needs user replaceable parts?

Anyway, mine does great with work with logic ..,so, I don't know what to tell you..

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
The upgrade used to be, as in the old silver Macbook Pro's was hard drives and add more RAM..

With the new Macbook Pro's you cannot change the RAM, or the Hard drives, you are lumped with what you bought.. This is bad as it prevents replacements for faulty parts, crashed hard drives, dodgy RAM.

The macbook pro is not professional...13 inches is a joke, Jony has no clue about the world of creative work..

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

DDR4 is not supported til skylake a bit of research would have told you that was not going to happen.

----------

The upgrade used to be, as in the old silver Macbook Pro's was hard drives and add more RAM..

With the new Macbook Pro's you cannot change the RAM, or the Hard drives, you are lumped with what you bought.. This is bad as it prevents replacements for faulty parts, crashed hard drives, dodgy RAM.

The macbook pro is not professional...13 inches is a joke, Jony has no clue about the world of creative work..

The 13 inch rMBP is perfect for most professionals it'll fly through all but the most demanding of video editing and scientific apps, it's thin and light and can be carried anywhere, it's perfect for working while you travel, especially for people who code, give presentations, work on the web etc etc etc.

As for replacement parts etc if you are a proffesional you'll have apple care and insurance for any issues and a capital replacement budget for your computers to replace them as and when needed.

What you mean is that this is not a good computer for a creative amatuer with a limited budget and high demands that doesn't make enough from their computer to be able to replace it at need.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

With the old MacBooks, users would upgrade:
1. 4GB to 8GB of RAM
2. Spinning HDD to SSD

With the rMBPs you don't need to do either, because they already have 8GB of RAM and an SSD.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Gee, well done.. That I know!! 8GB is barely enough to run Mavericks, let alone a semi-professional app such as Final Cut Pro X...

13 inches is not a large enough screen to edit professionally on, 17in is/was great...

To be useful, a minimum of 17 inches, 2x 1 TB SSD's and at least 16GB RAM..4 Thunderbolt drives/USB C drives..

The point is, this laptop is not meant to be the on the road device, it sits on the desk, in the hotel, at home, in the office, and the smaller 13 inch macbook pro/air the on the road, take on location device...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given the technology in the 12" MB, I can safely say that apple will make the 15" MBP thinner, and it will employ the new keyboard and touchpad and usb-c.

Outside of that, and the broadwell chipset, I don't believe there's much else to add.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Given the technology in the 12" MB, I can safely say that apple will make the 15" MBP thinner, and it will employ the new keyboard and touchpad and usb-c.

Outside of that, and the broadwell chipset, I don't believe there's much else to add.

Apple cant do a much thinner 15" MBP without either dropping Thunderbolt or waiting for Thunderbolt 3.

So for the 15" to get USB-C, I think we will have to wait for Skylake.

(And of course, there will not be a dGPU.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.