Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have a 2.0 GHz Dual Core Power Mac G5 (the one in my signature) that I think I would like to part with. Back when I acquired it a year or two ago, it was damaged in transit. I ended up using a bolt to drive through the case do the bent handle would be fitted back into place. It restored functionality of the handle and stopped it ripping your skin off when you walked by it, but it only looked slightly better aesthetically. The small frankenstein style bolts on either side of the front handle aren't the prettiest.

As I would seriously contemplate killing a man for the chance to own a G5 Quad, so over the summer I will try to earn enough and make this a reality. This 2.0Ghz works perfectly and has 2.5GB Ram, an nVidia 6600LE and a 160GB HDD. As a collector I think I will just keep one Power Mac G5, so why not just the best one? I might contemplate a 2.3GHz as the air cooled model might be a little more reliable in the long run, but there is something cool about the quad. The most power PowerPC Mac. It's a part of a collection, but I like to use my items from time to time. And I like them to be as pretty as possible while doing it.

So what do this is the best way to go about selling this rig? All together, parts, or not worth parting at all? (Keeping in mind I hardly ever use this no due to it's ugliness. Whereas I would cherish a mint G5 like my Quicksilver everyday.)

Pictures:

IMG_8422.JPG IMG_8423.JPG IMG_8425.JPG

Last edited:

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
I just took delivery of the same model with 2.5GB ram, the bottom handles are damaged. I guess it must be difficult to package these things:eek:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I just took delivery of the same model with 2.5GB ram, the bottom handles are damaged. I guess it must be difficult to package these things:eek:

Oh I've had others delivered damaged too...and all from within Ireland. But my brothers 2010 MacPro that came across the ocean from the USA? No that was in perfect condition. A*****e delivery people...

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
I think it has more to do with insufficient packing material used when shipping these heavy G5 towers. I bought two Power Mac G5 computers from eBay and both arrived with damage to the bottom handles. True, they're not exactly easy to ship, but if sellers would stop being cheap and use proper packing materials, there is no reason why a G5 can't be shipped without being damaged.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
"redneck" don't bother me none. Hell, I've done much worse myself. How much are you asking for this G5? I might take it if the price is within what I can afford.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
"redneck" don't bother me none. Hell, I've done much worse myself. How much are you asking for this G5? I might take it if the price is within what I can afford.
I'm surprised you'd even use the word "afford", more like add him to the growing list of those waiting for payment.
You do realize you're talking shipping from Ireland to Minnesota.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think it has more to do with insufficient packing material used when shipping these heavy G5 towers. I bought two Power Mac G5 computers from eBay and both arrived with damage to the bottom handles. True, they're not exactly easy to ship, but if sellers would stop being cheap and use proper packing materials, there is no reason why a G5 can't be shipped without being damaged.
You're spot on regards the poor packing.
I've purchased two G5's from the same seller, both were shipped from southern Calif. to me on Vancouver Island and both arrived without any damage.
As shown in the photo the towers were first wrapped in plastic and then the boxes were totally filled with pour in expanding foam creating one solid block.
Albeit that didn't stop the Fed-Ex driver from complaining about the weight of the box .

Attachments

• DSCN4319.JPG
    DSCN4319.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 91

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Hey Tevion! You pay shipping from IRELAND to the STATES? :D

Sure, if you pay me the same on top! :p

----------

Well I think distance might make such a transaction a little too inconvenient! But if you were living down he road from me, how much would a wild eyed Power Mac enthusiast such as yourself be willing to part with for this imperfect beast?

----------

So you guys reckon I should sell it as one unit anyway. Good, because I disassembled one of these before. It takes a whole day, and special parts to get some of those nasty placed screws. Some are under the heatsink! I can't even remember how I got them in the end. Might have used a snake style screwdriver.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I'm surprised you'd even use the word "afford", more like add him to the growing list of those waiting for payment.

I have no idea he was from Ireland.....
Any why the attitude there? You said there was no hurry in payment

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

Why does this not surprise me?

I have no idea he was from Ireland.....
Any why the attitude there? You said there was no hurry in payment

What is this all about? I don't understand...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You're spot on regards the poor packing.
I've purchased two G5's from the same seller, both were shipped from southern Calif. to me on Vancouver Island and both arrived without any damage.
As shown in the photo the towers were first wrapped in plastic and then the boxes were totally filled with pour in expanding foam creating one solid block.
Albeit that didn't stop the Fed-Ex driver from complaining about the weight of the box .

Were those ordered from Mac of all Trades?

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I would vote he's more of a Hillbilly than a Redneck.

You should post a picture.
Yeah, he wired a ground from his computer to outside. It connects to a lightening rod.

I live in Cavan, but I could arrange selling from Dublin too.
I've been to Dublin. People there were very nice, except the Police Officer shuffled me into the Garda Museum for 2 hours and wouldn't let me leave. He meant well but mannequins creep me out big time and that place was just one giant house of Mannequins wearing police informs. I like Ireland. I spent most of my time in Galway though. Everyday I saw this lady zooming around the city on a unicycle. I went to the Aaron Islands with my buddy and we got off at the wrong stop on the ferry and everyone on this particular Island was crosseyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.