Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Supposedly, Netflix eschewed the writers' ideas and used "big data" algorithms to determine the plot, dramatic arc, and characters in House of Cards Season 3.

Frankly, it seemed to me that the end of Season 2 was the perfect conclusion to the entire series.

I have not started Season 3 yet but I've read some negative reviews. Any opinions?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I hadn't really been following this, super interesting. I was aware of the analytics, predictive recommendation generated from big data at n=Netflix, but not utilizing it for specific show guidance. Neat stuff, quite a few articles on it, some with a decent amount of technical discussion.

:cool:

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I tried on 2 different shirts with dimensions determined by big data. It fit strangely, suppressing the ability to raise my arms. Had the fabric been laid on human forms during design, it would have fit better, but perhaps cost more to produce.

Renzatic

Suspended
I tried on 2 different shirts with dimensions determined by big data. It fit strangely, suppressing the ability to raise my arms. Had the fabric been laid on human forms during design, it would have fit better, but perhaps cost more to produce.

I'd say Big Data based its data on a flawed premise for you then. It should've started with the basics of shirt design and went from there.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Yes. At least to be predictive of potential side effects and to suggest adding a stretchy component to the fabric composition in order to compensate. I can think of all kinds of reasons one would like to raise their arms. Could be deadly, if acosted by a cop. Or even one arm, such as during class. A tight one arm raise makes it look like your're unsure that you know the answer.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Season three is definitely different, but as a huge fan of the series I'm glad I watched it!

I won't say any more, because I don't want to let any spoilers slip. Really, the only way to know is to watch it yourself.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Enjoyed season 3. I wondered what they have planed for season 4?

I'm guessing the election is going to take up a large bit/all of it. They'll sprinkle other things in (legislative initiatives, crises, other world leader interactions) to make sure it isn't just a single story line, but I can't see anything taking up more time than the nomination process and/or election.

---

On topic, in my opinion, the House of Cards seasons can be ranked by their numerical order: 1 is amazing, 2 is great, 3 is very good. 3 isn't bad, but compared to 1? I suppose a picky/critical person might say it was a bummer. Still better than most junk on TV, like The Big Bang Theory.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'm guessing the election is going to take up a large bit/all of it. They'll sprinkle other things in (legislative initiatives, crises, other world leader interactions) to make sure it isn't just a single story line, but I can't see anything taking up more time than the nomination process and/or election.

---

On topic, in my opinion, the House of Cards seasons can be ranked by their numerical order: 1 is amazing, 2 is great, 3 is very good. 3 isn't bad, but compared to 1? I suppose a picky/critical person might say it was a bummer. Still better than most junk on TV, like The Big Bang Theory.

What, you don't think is Sheldon Cooper the greatest TV character ever????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.