Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I think I have done this before, but before I tried again I wanted to check with others to make sure that I was correct. What I need to do is upgrade a lion system to Mountain lion, but when I try to run the installer from within Mac OS, it goes nowhere because of some corruption issues I think with the installer within Mac OS. What I think I can do is boot the computer with the option key to my bootable Mac OS USB stick and install from there.

What I want to verify is that I can do an upgrade in that way, not just a clean install.

Any confirmation that that's possible?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I think I have done this before, but before I tried again I wanted to check with others to make sure that I was correct. What I need to do is upgrade a lion system to Mountain lion, but when I try to run the installer from within Mac OS, it goes nowhere because of some corruption issues I think with the installer within Mac OS. What I think I can do is boot the computer with the option key to my bootable Mac OS USB stick and install from there.

What I want to verify is that I can do an upgrade in that way, not just a clean install.

Any confirmation that that's possible?

Yes that will work.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Update for the next guy reading this after a Google search - all done, success!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.