Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
For those in the market for a MBP, it is tough whether to bite the bullet now or wait for the next major update. Since the MB just had a major revision with new technologies such as the USB-C and a design change, I'm wondering when the time will come for the Retina MBP to also have a design change. It has been nearly 3 years since the latest revision.

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
2008 is when the unibody model launched. 2012 is when the retina model launched. It probably depends when Skylake hits this year, but its a safe bet that a redesign will come pretty soon.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Got to disagree

2008 is when the unibody model launched. 2012 is when the retina model launched. It probably depends when Skylake hits this year, but its a safe bet that a redesign will come pretty soon.

I think a redesign for skylake but not until next year.....

I think the broadwell 15 inch will hit june and then they'll do a redesign on all the rMBP's and a relaunch next year about this time.

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I think a redesign for skylake but not until next year.....

I think the broadwell 15 inch will hit june and then they'll do a redesign on all the rMBP's and a relaunch next year about this time.

True, it depends if Apple releases a Broadwell 15 inch this year. If they do, they're probably delaying their Skylake models to early 2016.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
True, it depends if Apple releases a Broadwell 15 inch this year. If they do, they're probably delaying their Skylake models to early 2016.

This may well be true :(

The :( is because I want to replace my aging 2008 MBP but I'm not interestsed in just longer battery life (for the most part) via Broadwell. Skylake is the next 'significant' CPU upgrade. Geez I hate to wait till 2016.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I for one am buying now. I have a bad feeling that the new Macbook Pro next year is going to have some of the "features" of the new Macbook, such as less ports and the new keyboard. For my personal taste, I'd rather avoid those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.