Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Now that the dust is starting to settle, who's planning on purchasing the new MacBook and what's your reasoning?

I'm planning to buy one. Like many, I'm not thrilled with all of the pruning or the price point, but I do think it'll be a great little secondary machine. I have a robust and powerful windows desktop that I use for gaming and "work". I use an 11" MBA for convenient content consumption and writing short film scripts. I think the MacBook will successfully supplant the MBA for my purposes. I probably would have preferred that they just stick a retina display in the MBA, but I like the new design and still have faith that Apple will deliver a polished and intuitive experience.

How about you? There are plenty of threads about why people hate them and would never buy them and want to die, etc. So let's keep this one for those that do plan to buy and why they're stoked (or reluctantly willing) to do so.

:)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Buying one with 512GB/1.3 GHz on April 10th. This will be my primary machine, not secondary. I'm coming from the 13" rMBP and most of what I do is web-based, but I do require OS X. I travel basically everyday. I think I've used my rMBP in more situations than most people probably do.

So yeah, I'm excited. I think this will be a great laptop for people like me who want extreme portability but also don't want to sacrifice on the quality of the screen and other things. If the Core M is powerful enough for the individual, then I think it'll be a great option.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I'm seriously considering buying one at launch to replace my current 2008 MacBook.

My reasoning is simple. When I actually think about what I do on my MacBook on a daily basis I can't think of anything that would actually tax the rMB. I mainly use my MacBook for forums, word processing, and replying to emails. I haven't plugged anything into my current MacBook's ports for years, apart from the charger and my backup HD. I only tend to back up important files once a week, and I've been considering a Time Capsule anyway, so the single port wouldn't bother me.

People have been moaning about the rMB's assumed performance and battery life. To me the battery estimates on Apple's website are more than perfect. My current MacBook can't last 2 hours off charge, and it could only manage around 4 with light usage when it was new. 9 hours. Yes please. The Core M processor will also blow my MacBook's Core 2 Duo out of the water in terms of performance. So it's an upgrade to me even if it's downgrade to others.

I also want something more portable and lightweight. The new rMB definitely fits that requirement.

The only thing that stops me from being 100% yes is that I occasionally edit photos and make artwork for some of the forums I use. I have been using a mixture of my iPad and my Windows PC for this since my MacBook grew too old to run the latest version of Photoshop at an acceptable level. I would like to use the rMB as a means to do this on the move. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that the Core M processor can't manage more than word processing or sending the odd email. I'm of the opinion that it can though, and I think with turboboost, HD5300, and 8GB RAM I should be able to use Photoshop at the level I want. At least for the few occasions that I need to, which is far from everyday.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I'd wait for v2.0.

Broadwell is a stop-gap release, so I'd be waiting for Skylake, especially if I didn't urgently need a new computer. Secondly, the revised model would inevitably include at least 1 more port and perhaps a few other additions, not to mention much better battery life as 9 hours is not good enough.

It's a great machine and I can see it selling very well, but I'd be a little annoyed buying this knowing in the back of my mind that you should never really buy version 1 of anything Apple produces.

CataclysmZA

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
South Africa
A lot of people seem to be under the impression that the Core M processor can't manage more than word processing or sending the odd email. I'm of the opinion that it can though, and I think with turboboost, HD5300, and 8GB RAM I should be able to use Photoshop at the level I want.

Intel's power-saving tricks with Broadwell are quite aggressive, because they'll use Boost whenever possible to get things done quickly and go back into an idle state. The 1.1GHz variant is the Core M-5Y70, which turbos to 2.7GHz. It's not as fast as the Core i5-4200M, but it comes close enough that you'll be hard-pressed to see the difference, though being a 5W fanless part it will hit its rated TDP quite often with large workloads. There are quite a few reviews on the chip itself online, so you can learn what to roughly expect from it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'd wait for v2.0.

Broadwell is a stop-gap release, so I'd be waiting for Skylake, especially if I didn't urgently need a new computer. Secondly, the revised model would inevitably include at least 1 more port and perhaps a few other additions, not to mention much better battery life as 9 hours is not good enough.

It's a great machine and I can see it selling very well, but I'd be a little annoyed buying this knowing in the back of my mind that you should never really buy version 1 of anything Apple produces.

I wouldn't be so sure that there will be a second port on future models. Also, 9 hours is plenty good enough. I'm giving up my rMBP for this, but it'll be worth it to me.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I wouldn't be so sure that there will be a second port on future models. Also, 9 hours is plenty good enough. I'm giving up my rMBP for this, but it'll be worth it to me.

It's not good enough considering it has a very frugal CPU, no moving parts and the thing is packed with battery cells. I was expecting 16 or more!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
16h or more in that space????? with retina display??? You are dreaming or joking right?
Even the 13" with no retina and more space for battery last at max 13 h

CataclysmZA

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
South Africa
It's not good enough considering it has a very frugal CPU, no moving parts and the thing is packed with battery cells. I was expecting 16 or more!

It only has a 40W/hr battery inside. The 5W rating for Core M is Intel's scenario design power (SDP) in which they expect the notebook to be idle all the time. That works out to roughly 4.5W of power draw with nine hours of web browsing which isn't surprising at all. Not doing anything that will constantly draw the CPU out of idle will obviously extend that. Dell's 1080p XPS 13 has a 52 W/hr battery and an extremely aggressively frugal Core i5-5200U dual-core, that's why it lasts up to almost fifteen hours, though it is a 15W chip and needs a fan.

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
I'm buying a 256gb model, hopefully right when it comes out.

I like how small it is compared to current MBA, puts it more in comparison with my old Dell XPS.

I don't care about the ports, only used my usb once in current MBA.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i'm encouraging my GF to get one. i need more power (logic X), so will go for the updated 13" rmbp. but i want to get my hands on the new macbook, so, if SHE gets one.... ;):D

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
"...and want to die" Lol, that's no exaggeration. I don't know why some folks are acting like it's the end of world.

Anyway, I'm a grad student and will likely replace my MBA with this 12" MB. The ultra portability and retina is just too tempting.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
It only has a 40W/hr battery inside. The 5W rating for Core M is Intel's scenario design power (SDP) in which they expect the notebook to be idle all the time. That works out to roughly 4.5W of power draw with nine hours of web browsing which isn't surprising at all. Not doing anything that will constantly draw the CPU out of idle will obviously extend that. Dell's 1080p XPS 13 has a 52 W/hr battery and an extremely aggressively frugal Core i5-5200U dual-core, that's why it lasts up to almost fifteen hours, though it is a 15W chip and needs a fan.

I think most people I know with the Dell XPS haven't got anywhere near 15 hours, most have got around 7-8 max.

At least with Apple, when they say 9, it is 9 or more.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
so you are downgrading, what is wrong with the rMBP13 ?

Buying one with 512GB/1.3 GHz on April 10th. This will be my primary machine, not secondary. I'm coming from the 13" rMBP and most of what I do is web-based, but I do require OS X. I travel basically everyday. I think I've used my rMBP in more situations than most people probably do.

So yeah, I'm excited. I think this will be a great laptop for people like me who want extreme portability but also don't want to sacrifice on the quality of the screen and other things. If the Core M is powerful enough for the individual, then I think it'll be a great option.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I forgot to add that I'll be shooting for the entry level model.

I'd be shocked if they add more ports to the second iteration of this machine. This is a fresh and somewhat radical design and - at least as far as I know - there isn't any precedent for Apple changing a design (which is what adding ports would be) after one iteration.

Again, not that I have any semblance of authority over this thread and you can basically do whatever you want, but I'd really like to maintain this thread for those who are planning to buy and their reasons why. If you want to complain about the machine or dissuade people from buying it, the world is basically your oyster right now because almost every other thread in this forum currently contains those sentiments.

Viking2

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Will use it on the run

I usually go on trains/airplanes and the new MacBook seems perfect for traveling.

It is good enough running Keynote connected to a projector on my workshops.

Will get it, then wench next modell arrive I will get that one.

rscott4563

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Cumbria
Unless weight is an absolute deal breaker and the difference between 2.03lbs and 3.48lbs is just too much to bear I can't see the logic in choosing a new Macbook over the 13" MBPr?

Weight is absolutely the only benefit it has for exactly the same price and with the weight saving you loose massive amounts of performance, connectivity, screen real estate, battery life etc...

I would have expected a price of around $999 for the new Macbook not $1299.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Unless weight is an absolute deal breaker and the difference between 2.03lbs and 3.48lbs is just too much to bear I can't see the logic in choosing a new Macbook over the 13" MBPr?

I chose the 11" over the 13" solely based on weight (1 pound is more than 1/3 lighter) and the footprint.

----------

I'm going to wait for the first reviews. I would say there's a 90% chance for me to buy it. If I don't, I'll either buy a MBA 2015 or wait until October (depending on my work travel schedule. My current MBA's battery life is bad and I'm not travelling overseas with it again !)

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
The crying and tales of woe on this forum is hilarious! :D

I'm not a power user so this a good fit for me. I need OSX for my work and travel which is mainly using web based applications. I'll also be web browsing and watching videos. I was considering the pro but I don't need that much power; the lightness and portability of this notebook is very attractive to me. I'm one of these strange people who doesn't use ports so that isn't really any issue.

I need to see it and try it though so will be going down to the Apple store once they're out.

rscott4563

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Cumbria
I completely understand that this new MBr may well suit many peoples needs my issue with it is it's price point in comparison to the rest of Apple's lineup.

It just seems overpriced for what it is.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
The crying and tales of woe on this forum is hilarious! :D

I'm not a power user so this a good fit for me. I need OSX for my work and travel which is mainly using web based applications. I'll also be web browsing and watching videos. I was considering the pro but I don't need that much power; the lightness and portability of this notebook is very attractive to me. I'm one of these strange people who doesn't use ports so that isn't really any issue.

I need to see it and try it though so will be going down to the Apple store once they're out.

Same for me.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I'm getting one. Why? Because i worked for my money and have no problem buyong every apple product to use or atleast play with.

Going to go 512gb ssd in space grey.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I'll be getting the high end space gray to match my 6+ and Mini3. Honestly, I'm gonna probably ditch the '09 MBP or use it for a stationary/desktop setup. I just don't need all the ports and processor for what I use it for. Still keeping the rMBP however, for those just in case moments. Then I'll just need to eventually get my iMac up to speed with a retina screen.

Probably try to swing one for the g/f also. She has an '09 MBP (both ours are similarly spec'd with 256 MX100 SSD's / 8GB Crucial 1033 RAM) and all she does is Facebook and watch movies. Even an old fashioned '09 MBP is overkill for her. Figure we can get about $500 for each of the MBP's with the extras we have. If not, I'll yank the SSD's and put the HDD's back in and sell them for $400.

Honestly, at first, the one port bugged me. But now that I think about it, I always have an Amazon Basics 3ft lightning cable plugged into my MBP's as I use my 6+ as my hotspot through USB. Yosemite and iOS8 are way too buggy to rely on just wifi. The only thing that bugs me is the price tag on that 3 port adapter. But, I could just wait until Amazon or someone reputable has one out for half the price or even a third of the price. I remember when I went from my 2012 non retina 15" fully maxed MBP to the 13" rMBP and couldn't believe the weight difference. Will be interesting to see how I feel about the weight difference from the old 13" to the new rMB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.