Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattb827

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Downloaded YTD Downloader, and ran the dmg, and all of a sudden I got all this "Spigot" and "Ebay" stuff attached to my browsers. It changed my background, changed my search from Google to Yahoo, and clearly affected my mac.

I deleted and re-installed both Chrome and Firefox, then I deleted all the "extensions" it made in my browsers and also in Chrome it had "Key Access" and there were things in there it had made and I deleted those as well. Things like "Itunes Ad" and "Spotify Ad" , we're all in the same timeframe as when I downloaded and ran this YTD Downloader program.

I ran Clam, Sophos, and one other free virus protection recommended and it only found 1 Trojan from awhile back, nothing from March 6th when I got this virus.

However, my Google Chrome still says this when typing in "www.google.com"

"https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl"

And I feel like that means it's re-directing me somewhere and Firefox does not seem to do that, but it does seem to pop up with a big URL first then shrink down to the normal URL which seems out of the ordinary but I'm not sure...

Anyone have any recommendations or other virus/adware things to check out? Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.