Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
I think it is a toy, a gadget for the ladies (even surprised they don't offer a pink version). It is just a netbook for reading emails and do some internet. Not really a notebook to produce work. I hope they will still just change the screens on the present 11" and 13" MBA into retina versions (they already updated to broadwell) that was all I wanted. They don't have to make them thinner, nor change the keyboard and please hands off the ports just leave it as it is. If they want they can throw in the new trackpad as a bonus but even that is not a must.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I think it is a toy, a gadget for the ladies (even surprised they don't offer a pink version). It is just a netbook for reading emails and do some internet. Not really a notebook to produce work. I hope they will still just change the screens on the present 11" and 13" MBA into retina versions (they already updated to broadwell) that was all I wanted. They don't have to make them thinner, nor change the keyboard and please hands off the ports just leave it as it is. If they want they can throw in the new trackpad as a bonus but even that is not a must.

Cheers for that. I'll add my 2 cents now...

Your wrong!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ok, I am open for debate, explain yourself .

c'mon. for many people, who don't need the power to edit movies, or produce music (etc), this is power enough.

meanwhile, it's a pointer to where apple is headed (in terms of design). and on it's own, it's small, light, modern. new. intriguing.

so for many, this is a new option in the mac 'laptop' line-up. i bet it will do very well...

Viking2

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I will get it

In my work I travel and run workshops using keynote.

I will ge the space grey. Don't fancy pink as I am a man:)

Seems great to work with on the train, with small footprint and retina screen and then run keynote with it.

Since working with Retina on my MacBook Pros I can not go back to MBA. No way.

MacBook seems to be the perfect travel companion.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
c'mon. for many people, who don't need the power to edit movies, or produce music (etc), this is power enough.

meanwhile, it's a pointer to where apple is headed (in terms of design). and on it's own, it's small, light, modern. new. intriguing.

so for many, this is a new option in the mac 'laptop' line-up. i bet it will do very well...

And requires a number of adapters to be practical.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it is a toy, a gadget for the ladie
Do you feel the same way about the 11" MBA and the 13" MBA/MBP because the screen differences are only an inch between those models and the new MBP.

Why do you believe its for the ladies?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
In my work I travel and run workshops using keynote.

I will ge the space grey. Don't fancy pink as I am a man:)

Seems great to work with on the train, with small footprint and retina screen and then run keynote with it.

Since working with Retina on my MacBook Pros I can not go back to MBA. No way.

MacBook seems to be the perfect travel companion.
How are you going to get it to the projector/screen? Unles. I'm missing something here...

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
it is a design thing, maybe a proto type design wise to see how people react. Screen size and quality is of coarse ok but to be productive, without needing a rMBP13, it sucks (processor, ports etc. which has been discussed already last 6 months).

Do you feel the same way about the 11" MBA and the 13" MBA/MBP because the screen differences are only an inch between those models and the new MBP.

Why do you believe its for the ladies?

----------

Yes there are adapters but what is the point in making this MB so small and light if I have to carry a bag pack for all the adapters !!

exactly. IF you need it, there are adapters. ie this. but for basic work, it is what it is.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes there are adapters but what is the point in making this MB so small and light if I have to carry a bag pack for all the adapters !!
The point is, you don't have to. If your needs require multiple ports, then don't buy the new MacBook. It's not designed for everyone. Common sense suggests you buy something that's designed for the uses you have in mind. Based on what you've posted, the MacBook isn't for you, but it's foolish to suggest it's a toy or intended for one gender, simply because you don't understand how the computing needs of others may differ from yours.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
it is a design thing, maybe a proto type design wise to see how people react. Screen size and quality is of coarse ok but to be productive, without needing a rMBP13, it sucks (processor, ports etc. which has been discussed already last 6 months).

----------

You are not going to need adapters. I think some people need to wake up to 2015.

Bluetooth, WiFi, Cloud. Thats all you need.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

----------

really, how many adapters? you're carrying external drives? a wired mouse? an external dvd drive? what exactly? if you're carrying a lot of peripherals...get a macbook pro. or...carry the one $79 adapter...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What adapters? Keeping in mind the purpose it's designed for, you don't need adapters, as explained in the event yesterday.

There is at least three in the accessory section.

How are you going to connect any Current USB device to it? Or to a vga/hdmi?

It's a ultra portable, not an iPad . Some of us thinking using it for work, will need adapters, and that is just for presentations.

----------

really, how many adapters? you're carrying external drives? a wired mouse? an external dvd drive? what exactly? if you're carrying a lot of peripherals...get a macbook pro. or...carry the one $79 adapter...

A USB drive..... Heard of those? Not exactly rare? What peripherals possible exist these days based on USB......??

And connecting a laptop in 2015 in the office to an external display! Do people still do that???

----------

You are not going to need adapters. I think some people need to wake up to 2015.

Bluetooth, WiFi, Cloud. Thats all you need.

Yeah, that is how corporate offices environments work!

Do people on MR have real jobs? Or just hang out in Starbucks offices?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

It's a ultra portable, not an iPad . Some of us thinking using it for work, will need adapters, and that is just for presentations.
I know that adapters exist. However, the intended use is for portable computing. If you regularly need to connect devices, projectors, displays, etc., then the MacBook is not the right product for you. It's not intended to be the ideal computer for every user.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I know that adapters exist. However, the intended use is for portable computing. If you regularly need to connect devices, projectors, displays, etc., then the MacBook is not the right product for you. It's not intended to be the ideal computer for every user.

Disagree . Why can't i use a ultra portable for simple work tasks, like doing a presentation?

The MacBook pro suffers from the exact same issue.

No matter what you buy, you need a number of adapters.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Again, common sense suggests you buy something that meets your particular needs, rather than complain that a product that wasn't intended for you doesn't have what you want. No one is forced to buy the new MacBook. Those that identify it as being suitable for their purposes will get good use out of it.

And yes, people on MR have real jobs, and no, not everyone hangs out in Starbucks. But not every job has the same computing requirements.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
there's a $19 usb adapter, that can take current usb drives. seriously, if i'm carrying a mac that's this small & light, AND i need my flash drive, carrying one adapter won't matter much.
this

EDIT: there will be more things like this as well...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Disagree . Why can't i use a ultra portable for simple work tasks, like doing a presentation?
Your choice is to buy a MacBook and buy the adapters necessary, or buy another notebook that doesn't require adapters. The choices are pretty clear.
The MacBook pro suffers from the exact same issue.
The MacBook isn't suffering. You are, because you're expecting it to do something that it's not designed to do.
No matter what you buy, you need a number of adapters.
Not true. Many will buy the MacBook and never need to connect other devices to it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Again, common sense suggests you buy something that meets your particular needs, rather than complain that a product that wasn't intended for you doesn't have what you want. No one is forced to buy the new MacBook. Those that identify it as being suitable for their purposes will get good use out of it.

And yes, people on MR have real jobs, and no, not everyone hangs out in Starbucks. But not every job has the same computing requirements.

So based on common sense I should get a MacBook pro?

What I am saying , no matter what you buy from apple , you need a number of adapters to use it in an actual work environment.

And Apple agrees , as they have just released three adapters for the Macbook.

I know , I have a work rMBP and have 4 adapters for it. Everyone with a MBA carries at least one adapter to hook up the laptop to screens.

----------

Your choice is to buy a MacBook and buy the adapters necessary, or buy another notebook that doesn't require adapters. The choices are pretty clear.

The MacBook isn't suffering. You are, because you're expecting it to do something that it's not designed to do.

Not true. Many will buy the MacBook and never need to connect other devices to it.

I need an apple laptop. Show me one that does not require adapters, and had a retina screen. I need to be able to hook it upto a monitor at work. All the monitors are dvi or display port .

Go on.....

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Thanks MHO1, you understand me :)
Very funny but true remark : Do people on MR have real jobs? Or just hang out in Starbucks offices?

----------

A USB drive..... Heard of those? Not exactly rare? What peripherals possible exist these days based on USB......??

And connecting a laptop in 2015 in the office to an external display! Do people still do that???

----------

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.