Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will add pressure-sensing Force Touch technology to its next-generation iPhones, reports The Wall Street Journal in an article that covers a range of new details on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. Currently built into the upcoming Apple Watch and 12-inch Retina MacBook, Force Touch lets devices distinguish between a light tap and a hard press, enabling new gestures.

According to the report, which is sourced from Apple suppliers, Apple's next-generation iPhones will continue to be available in 4.7 and 5.5-inch screen sizes, with plans to "keep the resolution similar." New colors are a possibility though, and Apple is said to be considering adding a pink option to its existing space gray, silver, and gold iPhone lineup.

iphone6-stock.jpg
Production may begin on components for the next-generation iPhones as early as May, but The Wall Street Journal notes that Apple often tests technologies and designs with various suppliers that may not make it into finalized products.

Today's report echoes several other reports that have also pointed towards Force Touch for the next-generation iPhone. Supply chain sources first hinted at Force Touch technology back in January, and those rumors seem more plausible now that the feature has been incorporated into both the Apple Watch and Apple's recently announced MacBook.

Beyond the Force Touch rumors, little is known about the next-generation iPhones, which will likely be called the "iPhone 6s" and the "iPhone 6s Plus." The devices are expected to receive upgraded A9 processors and have been rumored to include features like camera upgrades, more RAM, and improved Touch ID. Apple will presumably release the new iPhones in September.

Article Link: Apple to Add Force Touch and Pink Color Option to Next iPhones, Screen Size to Stay the Same

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Watch that Samsung Galaxy S6 getting a special breast cancer awareness edition next week...

rceee

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
New Orleans
Please, no more force touch. I can see the jokes now, "use the force".

But seriously, please don't ruin the current Macbook design with this stupid crap. The clickable trackpad works great, and I like being able to configure a two-finger tap, etc. Force tap is completely unneeded in the laptops. They are just trying to make the concept singular across products. It isn't really needed on the phones, either.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
And in a shocking turn of events, also plans to re-release a 4" version again with upgraded specs!

....and then I woke up.

----------

Star Wars: The Force Awakens releases this December. Marketing tie in!

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007

But seriously, please don't ruin the current Macbook design with this stupid crap. The clickable trackpad works great, and I like being able to configure a two-finger tap, etc. Force tap is completely unneeded in the laptops. They are just trying to make the concept singular across products. It isn't really needed on the phones, either.

Why do you think two finger tap is gone?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I understand that ForceTouch has some functionality tied to added pressure (like fast-forwarding or word lookup), but couldnt they simply implement "longtouch" for the same thing? What else can it do that we'll miss out on as "last-gen" users?

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If they make pink, presumably with a white front, I hope they switch gold to a black front. I like gold, but I don't want a white bezel around my screen.

BBCWatcher

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Maine
iPhone 6c?

Many, many people still want a rugged 4 inch iPhone. Please, Apple, just take the 16GB iPhone 5s, add Touch ID, and switch over to the iPhone 5c cases (plus a black one, please). That's your iPhone 6c, and it should be introduced now, before the 6s models. Then, a year later, simply bump up the processor to A8 (underclocked a bit compared to the iPhone 6) to refresh the product, and you have the iPhone 6cs for April, 2016.

There's strong merit in having a mid-range iPhone "tock" about 7 or 8 months after the flagship iPhone "tick" in September, to keep iPhone momentum going throughout the year.

And how about an iPod touch 6th generation -- an iPhone 6c minus the cellular section?

Reactions: jkruehne

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
At first I couldn't work out if they meant the next iPhone due in 6 months or the next generation with a different body but same screen size aka the iPhone 7 in about 18 months.

If this comes with the 6s and 6s Plus that will be great, my 5s contract will be up so I will be getting the 6s, can't wait!

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ever since Apple showed off the Rose Gold Apple Watch last September, I had no doubt there would be a rose iPhone in the future. 6S sounds like a perfect time to do it.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Forcible Touching is a misdemeanor here in New York. The "s" in 6s may stand for Sex Offender...?

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Are they going to make it stronger to fix the bend problem? I was a skeptic of the bendgate issue until I recently found my iPhone 6 (not plus) got bent. I bent it back but it now as a bit of a kink around the volume button. Not a huge deal because it is hidden by the apple leather case. I have Applecare+ so I will just keep using this one until I need to replace it.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Apples touch ID works sometimes but really needs improvement.

I have heard complaints of touch ID problems in the 5s model. That said I own a 6 and touch ID works flawlessly for me even with dropbox. IMO doesn't need improvement, it's just fine right now.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm anticipating force touch in a new Magic Trackpad for Macs. That could be really useful.

And if it's coming to iPhones, iPads won't be far behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.