Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Hi.

I got my missus an action cam for Christmas. Not a GoPro, but similar size and function, just cheaper.

I'd read that getting images & video off a cam and onto the iPad Air could be a pain, but after trying 5 different cable set ups, I think we may have something close to working.

When the Micro SD card is connected through the latest camera adapter, the 'not supported' message flashed up brielfy, but then the camera contents open up on screen anyway. I click 'download' and delete the originals, but when I click on the movie files, I get sound, but no pictures - just a black window.

I approached support at Rollei, the camera manufacturer, and they said: "The camera records HD videos in the AVI format with a M-JPEG codec, it is quite possible that your iPad does not support the file format or codec, which you must review in the technical specs of your Apple iPad"

So here I am.

She has VLC player on the iPad, which I know plays AVI for me without problems, but I can't see how to open the video files in VLC. It isn't like the version of the player i have on my desktop mac where you can open things via searching all areas or drives, it seems to only show access to certain areas. Not being an iPad user myself I don't even know where the video files are download to.

Can anyone help with this? I feel like I'm pretty close now, but she goes away boarding in a fortnight and only takes her iPad with her - not her laptop.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.