Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
If it comes with Yosemite, will 10.9 bootable installer I have laying around work since 10.9 came before mid 2014 rMBP?

Thanks!

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
If it comes with Yosemite, will 10.9 bootable installer I have laying around work since 10.9 came before mid 2014 rMBP?

Generally, Macs can't have an OS older than the one it came with. You could give it a try, but I'd keep a Yosemite USB stick handy just in case.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Oh man that'd be a deal breaker. Don't want Yosemite. I have my reasons

Could I mirror image my 2011 MacBook air (on 10.9.2, would be willing to update to 10.9.5 to be certain) to this if need be?

I'd be curious to know your reasons for requiring Mavericks. I'm using a refurb mid-2014 15 inch MBP with Yosemite without issues...

I doubt that mirroring another macbook's disk to the new one would work, nor do I think that AutoDMG would get you around the likelihood that the current refurbs with Yosemite have had their firmware updated to basically require Yosemite as minimum version...

If you really must have Mavericks, you may be forced into buying a 2nd-hand macbook pro... which is fraught with dangers...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'd be curious to know your reasons for requiring Mavericks. I'm using a refurb mid-2014 15 inch MBP with Yosemite without issues...

I doubt that mirroring another macbook's disk to the new one would work, nor do I think that AutoDMG would get you around the likelihood that the current refurbs with Yosemite have had their firmware updated to basically require Yosemite as minimum version...

If you really must have Mavericks, you may be forced into buying a 2nd-hand macbook pro... which is fraught with dangers...

Really there's firmware that requires Yosemite? Yikes.

I wish I knew this in advance. If I do have to be on Yosemite, I might as well get a new 13" that just got refreshed a friend can get me 15% off.

It just isn't as smooth as Mavericks in my experience with it on 2011 13" air. Seems to be experienced with people on retina too. Not to say you have issues but it seems sloppy to me

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
It just isn't as smooth as Mavericks in my experience with it on 2011 13" air. Seems to be experienced with people on retina too. Not to say you have issues but it seems sloppy to me

Does your 2011 air have a HDD or SSD? Nearly everyone that complains about Yosemite sluggishness seems to be stuck with HDD, when Yosemite really appears to be designed for Macs with SSDs, which is the majority of new product now.

System Preferences->Accessibility->Display->Reduce Transparency also helps with Macs with slower GPUs.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
all 2011 airs by default have SSD.

I appreciate it but I just don't care for Yosemite too much

Can you find me somewhere where updated firmware doesn't allow mavericks downgrade? I haven't found that in a quick search

I think autodmg 10.9 installer applying updates will work since mid 2014 models came with 10.9.4 out of the box.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
all 2011 airs by default have SSD.

I appreciate it but I just don't care for Yosemite too much

Can you find me somewhere where updated firmware doesn't allow mavericks downgrade? I haven't found that in a quick search

I think autodmg 10.9 installer applying updates will work since mid 2014 models came with 10.9.4 out of the box.

I couldn't find anywhere that says the firmware update doesn't allow mavericks to run, just that people experienced odd behaviour with mavericks after downgrading from Yosemite

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1818849/

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I couldn't find anywhere that says the firmware update doesn't allow mavericks to run, just that people experienced odd behaviour with mavericks after downgrading from Yosemite

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1818849/

Boot up color doesn't really impact me in much/any way.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1826713/

this thread also seems to suggest it can be corrected with a second boot up.

Either way, I'm giving it a try. I want retina+mavericks. Yosemite in my experience was like iOS 8 of OS X, in other words, not ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.