Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Hi everybody, i got a go pro for my birthday (Hero 3 white). I got a helmet mount along with it. I plan to use that for skiing and in the terrain park and doing jumps and stuff. I also have had a tripod similar to this. 71Zv7SBPb7L._SL1500_.jpg
Im thinking it should work well to wrap around stuff and hold the go pro on securely.
Also, does anybody have any experience using the suction cup mount? What will it stick to and how long will it stick?

Fafa2e

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
I would highly recommend the Jaws: Flex Clamp, I believe that it is the most versatile mount.

I also have the suction cup mount and it provides a strong connection to pretty much any smooth dry surface. I've attached it to the front of a wave runner without any problems. (Note: I also attached a Bobber Grip to the mount in case it came loose, but it held secure.)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I use the suction cup mount on plexiglass walls and doors to record racquetball. I've never had a problem with the strength of the suction cup and trust it fully. Granted, the camera itself has never taken a direct hit as it's attached to the outside of the back glass wall. However, the wall has taken bodies crashing into it on numerous occasions and the if attached to the door the door is used freely for entry and exit to the court.

As another poster said, I know the suction cup has been used by others for more rigorous applications (wave runner, etc.) than mine.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Don't get the jaws mount from go pro. Its over priced and the goose neck thing breaks easily. I'm scared to use it. There are third party ones that don't use the quick release plate. Try to avoid using mounts with quick release clips. Or just leave them in there and screw in your go pro each time. I found that they break way to easy.

I recommend the chesty and the the three-way selfie pole. Extra batteries are a must. Look into Wasabi or smartree on amazon. If you don't mind the size, the wasabai power extended pack is amazing. It seems to last forever.
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Extended-Battery-GoPro/dp/B00MFWO8YA

BH.com usually has the mounts for a lot cheaper then best buy etc.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Go pro mount reccomendations?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428086704.280414.jpg
I mounted it on my helmet and have done several videos with it. It works pretty good, except that The weight of the go pro pushes the front of my helmet down, which gets annoying and kind of tiring on my neck. Oh well it's a small price to pay. Here's one vid I've made https://youtu.be/FZbNSyRpzt4
I think I'm going to end up buying this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JB...pro+mounts&dpPl=1&dpID=51WWF3XZgSL&ref=plSrch or an equivalent pack of several mounts. I'm not going to be using them for high speed activities so I'm not too concerned about durability. The go pro is pretty durable as is. Plus, the reviews are pretty good on it.
So far, I think that my choice in the white edition was a bad decision...
In my uses I've been able to get about 3 hours of usage. I haven't really needed more time than that, so I think I'll stick with the regular go pro battery, maybe get another one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.