Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay support has been extended to 14 additional retailers in the United States, including Bashas', Coca-Cola Vending, Dan's Fresh Market, Dick's Fresh Market, Fuddruckers, Jamba Juice, Jersey Mike's Subs, JetBlue, Lin's Fresh Market, Maceys, Office Max, Pep Boys, Regal Cinemas and Walt Disney World, as spotted by AppleInsider.

Apple-Pay-Extended-Support-800x586.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook announced on Monday during the company's "Spring Forward" media event that Apple Pay support will be rolling out at some 40,000 Coca-Cola vending machines across the United States, with the mobile payments service now accepted at over 700,000 locations nationwide. Apple Pay remains limited to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the United States, although Apple has expressed plans to launch the service in other countries.

GameStop and Marriott International also announced Apple Pay support this week.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Supported at JetBlue, Office Max and 12 Other Retailers

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I can't wait for stores that specialize in products used above the waist to take it.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
I can confirm jamba juice works already, i tried it weeks ago. At two locations.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Regal Cinemas is listed. Has anyone ever seen a Regal Cinemas with NFC terminals? Maybe it's just for concessions.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
to think, people thought this would fail.

Are you suggesting it hasn't?*

While Apple Pay might seem very successful it isn't even a drop in the ocean in terms of the number of payments that are made with credit and debit cards worldwide every day.

The question is whether people will swap the hundreds of millions of payment cards that are out there for something which only works with relatively expensive phones (I'm not just including iPhones when I say that). That is how the success or failure of NFC payments will be measured.

*I'm not saying it's failed here, just that it's far too soon to draw any conclusions.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

While Apple Pay might seem very successful it isn't even a drop in the ocean in terms of the number of payments that are made with credit and debit cards worldwide every day.

The question is whether people will swap the hundreds of millions of payment cards that are out there for something which only works with relatively expensive phones (I'm not just including iPhones when I say that). That is how the success or failure of NFC payments will be measured.

*I'm not saying it's failed here, just that it's far too soon to draw any conclusions.

Your edit answered my question .

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I'm suggesting that in a few months it has done more than google wallet has in a few years.

Reactions: JSB1540

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Regal Cinemas is listed. Has anyone ever seen a Regal Cinemas with NFC terminals? Maybe it's just for concessions.

hmm, I will have to check next time I go to the Mall of GA. If a regal is going to have it, it will be that one.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm suggesting that in a few months it has done more than google wallet has in a few years.

True, but Google Wallet (and other NFC systems) will work in every single one of those places.

All that has happened is that those stores have adopted the necessary readers because of Apple's brand power.

Many US retailers have had to deploy new payment card terminals to support the US transition to EMV, so the risks involved in getting those terminal upgrades has been much lower.

It still doesn't change the fact that you're talking about a miniscule proportion of the payments market.

There are more valid credit and debit cards in the whole of the US than Apple has sold iPhones worldwide (all models to date - not all of which support NFC and many are now obsolete).

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Somewhat ironic Chevron is in the mix as they control electric car battery patents, preventing nickel-metal hydride batteries from automotive adoption to preserve their petrol sales.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I wish there was more detail. For instance:

- Some of these are simply adding NFC terminals.

- Some are adding Apple Pay support to their iOS store app.

- And some are adding iBeacons.

A lot of it is because of terminals being replaced in advance of the October EMV deadline.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
The retailers need to improve the handling and upkeep of the POS systems. I used to use it at a Shop Rite near me but the terminals seems to be breaking down. My phone is no loner able to get the "pay" signal from the terminals. Its more of a hassle to use apple pay since I have to guess which one works. My card always works.

Its a shame, I had high hopes for apple pay. Seems to be a bit of a flop in my area.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Subway no longer supports Apple Pay. I tried to go there and use it and couldnt. I didnt have any cash on me so... they were out of luck that day. :confused:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Oh god , well that would about end it for me. I dont want to screw around with calling the dam bank every time the OS updates. Forget that noise.

what bank? I have added/re-added the same card quite a few times and have never had to call the bank (amex and chase)

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I've been with my current bank for 15+ years, but I'm seriously considering ditching them because they've yet to get on board with Apple Pay.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
to think, people thought this would fail.

Who thought it would fail exactly? Fail being the operative word. I don't think "fail" would be the right word choice. "be popular" or whatnot perhaps. But given Apple's collaboration with the banks and the investment involved, and requirements on the retail side - I don't think "fail" was on the table from the opinion of the "people" - but rather how much/often they would use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.