Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Ok, I keep seeing all of these comments on this forum and other places with people, practically in rage over the new macbook. I cannot tell you how many times people have said something to this extent

"Thinner and lighter does not replacing having necessary ports, I would rather have more ports and better battery life than some super thin computer".

And that got me thinking. Apple should do just that. Make a computer thats a little bit thicker, has more connections. And maybe around 12 hours of battery life. Maybe they could call it the macbook air? Wouldn't that be a pipe dream. :D

Seriously people??? I think people are concerned about apple going this way with all of their laptops, but the truth is, they ain't. They updated the macbook pro and the airs. Do you really think that apple went to all that trouble to develop thunderbolt, just to get rid of it? No, the pro is here to stay. But its going to be the "big hoss" laptop.

I would also like to point out a few things to everyone who feels like the Usb C is a disaster.

1. Nobody in their right mind, is going to carry that computer around out of a bag or sleeve. If you have a bag, you have room for that tiny little adaptor. Nobody complains about carrying around a power supply, and this one is lighter than any supply before. I should also point out, if you need to plug in your hard drive, then you are already carrying around that. Just leave your hard drive connected to your adaptor.

2. If apple felt like this was what everyone wanted, they would have discontinued the other notebooks.

3. And no, most people don't need all of those connections. Anyone who needs thunderbolt and multiple usb ports, is clearly somebody who is going to need more than a Core M processor anyway.

Just my little rant, but seriously. The world is not ending.........Yet!

EDIT: I should also add that using a universal connection (USB-C) also is going to allow limitless possibilities for
this notebook. Heck its low power usage will allow for some fairly inexpensive battery packs or solar powered options. You can go camping with this thing, and not worry about power.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
And that got me thinking. Apple should do just that. Make a computer thats a little bit thicker, has more connections. And maybe around 12 hours of battery life. Maybe they could call it the macbook air? Wouldn't that be a pipe dream.

If Apple had fixed the screen on the MBA this would be a valid point.

But they haven't. So it isn't.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
You make some good points. A solar charger is kinda cool. I think I'll wait to get this used or as a refurb though. The core m products, all of them are a bit over priced at the moment. As a mobile computer this thing is amazing.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
Ok, I'll give you that. I do however have a 13" MBA for work, and not once has the non-retina screen hurt me. However, the retina is a beautiful screen! No doubt.

I think that is the reason you are hearing complaints. People wanted an Air with retina screen. Instead they got a less capable, less battery life, less connectivity, higher cost, beautiful looking alternative.

This is a beautiful machine for parents and grandparents. People are having a hard time dealing with that.

I imagine that if they release a 14" -15" inch version with an additional port, and a faster CPU/GPU, all will be right with the world again.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think that is the reason you are hearing complaints. People wanted an Air with retina screen. Instead they got a less capable, less battery life, less connectivity, higher cost, beautiful looking alternative.

This is a beautiful machine for parents and grandparents. People are having a hard time dealing with that.

I imagine that if they release a 14" -15" inch version with an additional port, and a faster CPU/GPU, all will be right with the world again.

Good points. In addition, Apple is famously averse to providing choice - for good or for bad. Therefore, a lot of people who do need those connections/ capabilities are nervous about this new direction Apple is headed towards. This could be a precursor to how things shape up over most of the product line in the next 3 - 4 years.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
If Apple had fixed the screen on the MBA this would be a valid point.

But they haven't. So it isn't.

Is the screen on the MBA broken? I have a MBA 11" .. should I take it in for a recall or repair? I wasn't aware it was broken.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
Is the screen on the MBA broken? I have a MBA 11" .. should I take it in for a recall or repair? I wasn't aware it was broken.

It's not broken, it's just a low quality screen for 2015, particularly in terms of dpi (although the 11" does better than the 13").

To give you an example, I actually downgraded when I bought my current Air. I went from a 1920x1200 15.4", which had 147 dpi, to the 1440x900 13" Air, which has 128 dpi. The difference was very noticeable, and while overall I like the Air, I never liked its screen and its slightly fuzzy rendering of everything.

At this stage most new laptops come out with better screens (full HD or higher), thus some people are concerned over Apple's choice not to update the Air's display and instead to introduce a new Core-M based 12" machine, which seems to address a different market, with the display technology that would have been very suitable for the Air.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's not broken, it's just a low quality screen for 2015, particularly in terms of dpi (although the 11" does better than the 13").

To give you an example, I actually downgraded when I bought my current Air. I went from a 1920x1200 15.4", which had 147 dpi, to the 1440x900 13" Air, which has 128 dpi. The difference was very noticeable, and while overall I like the Air, I never liked its screen and its slightly fuzzy rendering of everything.

At this stage most new laptops come out with better screens (full HD or higher), thus some people are concerned over Apple's choice not to update the Air's display and instead to introduce a new Core-M based 12" machine, which seems to address a different market, with the display technology that would have been very suitable for the Air.

You may want to not refer to it as broken then.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
And here is my rejoinder...

If someone doesn't need multiple ports, doesn't require processing power in excess of Core M, and is not concerned about the dated technology currently employed in the 12" rMB, then they also don't need to be spending ~$1500 on what is, in effect, a glorified iPad.

If the price point was reasonable, these concessions could be explained. But how do you offer consumers less and expect them to pay more?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Sure you can. You can fix it's absence, and you can fix underperformance against the market. And the screen on the Air is much worse than it's competitors at this point.

Like the title says... GET OVER IT!

If you don't like it don't buy it. If neither of the ultra books work for you, but a pro, if that doesn't work, then sorry.

Based on early response, Apple hit it out of the park with this product. You can't have an ultrabook with a retina screen and maintain the $899 price point Apple has come in with for the Air.

----------

Obviously not official, but there are several surveys on here, asking people what they think. In one survey, 71% of MacRumors users have a favorable or very favorable outlook on the Macbook. In another, 67% of respondents have said they are excited and looking forward to its release.

That's a prime example of how Apple hit it out of the park with this release. The average MacRumors users is more critical, and more tech savvy than the average Mac consumer... so to get those numbers from MacRumors is fantastic, and indicate the widespread non-MR users are going to be even more elated with this release.

I personally am more excited about this release than ANY Mac computer release in history, so again, if you don't like it, "Get over it!" ... because MOST people do! You can whine here, but it just makes you look foolish. There's a mac for most people in Apple's line now. You seem to want everything out of every model, and that's not the way it works. It would have made more sense to call the new Macbook the Macbook Air, and rename the old to Macbook, because it's now become the runner up in thinness, and now seems to come with a primary objective of being the most price-sensitive laptop while sacrificing the latest and greatest retina screen, track pad, keyboard, etc. Sorry if it's confusing to you.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
And here is my rejoinder...

If someone doesn't need multiple ports, doesn't require processing power in excess of Core M, and is not concerned about the dated technology currently employed in the 12" rMB, then they also don't need to be spending ~$1500 on what is, in effect, a glorified iPad.

If the price point was reasonable, these concessions could be explained. But how do you offer consumers less and expect them to pay more?

Dated technology? USB C, Core M, SSD, multi-layer batteries? didn't realize that those were dated?

Glorified ipad? I disagree there too. It have very little in common with an iPad.

Ipad has touchscreen, macbook has keyboard and trackpad

iPad has lighting connector, Macbook has usb C

iPad runs iOS, Mabook runs OS X

iPad maxes out at 128gb storage. Macbook at 512gb.

I really don't think they are the same thing at all. totally different uses.

You are paying the lightness and the retina display. You are not getting less if what you wanted was a retina display and more portability. Don't believe me? Watch as these things sell like hot-cakes.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
The thing is that everyone was hoping/expecting that the MBA serie like the MBP serie would get a retina display. This did not happen. A new product, an ultra thin netbook was introduced and the MBA serie only got some other spec bumbs without the retina display.

Ok, I keep seeing all of these comments on this forum and other places with people, practically in rage over the new macbook. I cannot tell you how many times people have said something to this extent

"Thinner and lighter does not replacing having necessary ports, I would rather have more ports and better battery life than some super thin computer".

And that got me thinking. Apple should do just that. Make a computer thats a little bit thicker, has more connections. And maybe around 12 hours of battery life. Maybe they could call it the macbook air? Wouldn't that be a pipe dream. :D

Seriously people??? I think people are concerned about apple going this way with all of their laptops, but the truth is, they ain't. They updated the macbook pro and the airs. Do you really think that apple went to all that trouble to develop thunderbolt, just to get rid of it? No, the pro is here to stay. But its going to be the "big hoss" laptop.

I would also like to point out a few things to everyone who feels like the Usb C is a disaster.

1. Nobody in their right mind, is going to carry that computer around out of a bag or sleeve. If you have a bag, you have room for that tiny little adaptor. Nobody complains about carrying around a power supply, and this one is lighter than any supply before. I should also point out, if you need to plug in your hard drive, then you are already carrying around that. Just leave your hard drive connected to your adaptor.

2. If apple felt like this was what everyone wanted, they would have discontinued the other notebooks.

3. And no, most people don't need all of those connections. Anyone who needs thunderbolt and multiple usb ports, is clearly somebody who is going to need more than a Core M processor anyway.

EDIT: I should also add that using a universal connection (USB-C) also is going to allow limitless possibilities for
this notebook. Heck its low power usage will allow for some fairly inexpensive battery packs or solar powered options. You can go camping with this thing, and not worry about power.

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009

This is it. Macbook air owners and lovers wanted this and didn't get it. Myself included. And that's where the complaints are coming from.

elchorizo

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Beaverton, OR
Like the title says... GET OVER IT!

If you don't like it don't buy it. If neither of the ultra books work for you, but a pro, if that doesn't work, then sorry.

Based on early response, Apple hit it out of the park with this product. You can't have an ultrabook with a retina screen and maintain the $899 price point Apple has come in with for the Air.

----------

Obviously not official, but there are several surveys on here, asking people what they think. In one survey, 71% of MacRumors users have a favorable or very favorable outlook on the Macbook. In another, 67% of respondents have said they are excited and looking forward to its release.

That's a prime example of how Apple hit it out of the park with this release. The average MacRumors users is more critical, and more tech savvy than the average Mac consumer... so to get those numbers from MacRumors is fantastic, and indicate the widespread non-MR users are going to be even more elated with this release.

I personally am more excited about this release than ANY Mac computer release in history, so again, if you don't like it, "Get over it!" ... because MOST people do! You can whine here, but it just makes you look foolish. There's a mac for most people in Apple's line now. You seem to want everything out of every model, and that's not the way it works. It would have made more sense to call the new Macbook the Macbook Air, and rename the old to Macbook, because it's now become the runner up in thinness, and now seems to come with a primary objective of being the most price-sensitive laptop while sacrificing the latest and greatest retina screen, track pad, keyboard, etc. Sorry if it's confusing to you.

I have to smile at how worked up some of the fanboys get when someone criticizes a new Mac product. heaven forbid we have a discussion on the internet.

Let me sum up what the quoted poster (and the OP) are saying:
"This forum is not a place for discussion of the pros and cons of Apple products. This forum is only for loving Apple all day, every day"

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
by the way you own a "rMini", what is it ?

I have to smile at how worked up some of the fanboys get when someone criticizes a new Mac product. heaven forbid we have a discussion on the internet.

"This forum is not a place for discussion of the pros and cons of Apple products. This forum is only for loving Apple all day, every day"

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Get over it

I think NOW Apple has the most complete Mac lineup

From ultra portability laptop this new one to a the best deal for money i mean the MBA or the classic still selling 13" MBP and to the retinaPRO with almost all ports that you need
And so with the mac mini for portability, the imac or 5k imac and the almost easy to carry MAC PRO with everything you need

So Apple really have a MAC for everyone
They did this with the iPad now...they have an ipad for almost every budget
They just did the same with the new apple watch, a watch for every poket and if the money isnt a problem a watch with any band and material you want (platinum on the way :D)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

No, it just gets old whenever anything is released. My god, if I posted every time I didn't like something... jeez.

I don't like the apple watch, it's stupid.
I don't like Samsung Galaxy S6, how dare they don't have replaceable battery.
I can't believe Google's chrome book is so expensive, shame on them.
I can't believe Tesla charges so much for their cars.
I can't believe it's been such a cold winter.

It begins to just wear on people... I can talk garbage about just about every Apple or any brand's product, but what's the point? The problem is people talk garbage because the product wasn't designed around them, and dismiss the fact that there is a market for it.

I guess if you want to bash Apple, so be it, you're entitled to... but when you say a product sucks because it doesn't meet your needs, you lose all credibility.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Apple completely botched this new MacBook. Seriously, I can't see ANYONE buy this POJ unless they're a fanboy.

Apple needs to call it what it is- an iPad with a keyboard that Jony Ive spray painted gold in the parking lot behind his office.

----------

No, it just gets old whenever anything is released. My god, if I posted every time I didn't like something... jeez.

It begins to just wear on people... I can talk garbage about just about every Apple or any brand's product, but what's the point? The problem is people talk garbage because the product wasn't designed around them, and dismiss the fact that there is a market for it.

I guess if you want to bash Apple, so be it, you're entitled to... but when you say a product sucks because it doesn't meet your needs, you lose all credibility.

1st Amendment gives ALL Americans the freedom of speech. All those complaints are legitimate. There are those who care to make things better, and those who don't care about anything at all.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA

I never said that you could not criticized an apple product, if you only you knew on a daily basis how many apple/mac jokes we make at work (all mac in my area). I have nothing against criticism, but as I said in the original post. People seem angry over something I felt was rather silly.

Agreed, Its about how its approached. "I don't like the new macbook because" goes a lot farther than "the new macbook is a POS because I don't like it"

Apple completely botched this new MacBook. Seriously, I can't see ANYONE buy this POJ unless they're a fanboy.

Apple needs to call it what it is- an iPad with a keyboard that Jony Ive spray painted gold in the parking lot behind his office.

1st Amendment gives ALL Americans the freedom of speech. All those complaints are legitimate. There are those who care to make things better, and those who don't care about anything at all.

Seriously? Yes you are entitled to your opinion and you can say what you want about it. But that doesn't mean is constructive. But instead of giving us a valid reason for your dislike, you just go off and say its junk.

I took the time to explain my point, and gracefully took a valid point form another member. Not a anger filled post without logic or thought.

I should also point out that this is an international forum.

And no, its nothing like an iPad, what do they even have in common? Nothing other than battery life.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.