Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Hi,

I have a 12" iBook that I'm very happy with. I'd like the superdrive, internal bluetooth, and better performance. This should be enough to justify getting a powerbook no?

I'm not really going to be watching movies or editing film so a 12" would be fine.

What do you guys think? What kind of differences will I expect?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You could just get a bluetooth USB dongle and an external FireWire DVD burner instead of selling your iBook and getting a PowerBook.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I wouldn't purchase a 12" PowerBook as they are going to be phased out soon anyway, and it probably won't be much more powerful than your current iBook. If I were you I would either purchase the accessories separately as Eidorian suggested or wait for a new Intel laptop that will satisfy your needs.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, it'd be annoying on the road to carry around. If you want wireless devices at home and don't mind being unable to burn on the road, then get the upgrades and save your money.

The external DVD burner would also be x16 and not x8 too.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It really depends on what you need it for. If you don't want external options and don't really need ultimate power, a new iBook should be fine for you. Bluetooth is now standard in iBooks and you can of course get a Superdrive. If you wait until the Intel iBooks come out, you'll probably get some more goodies, including a slightly larger screen.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Thanks for the input guys. Here's what I think....

An internal bluetooth model would be around $120 installed. If I could sell my iBook for around $800, I could buy a 1.33ghz PB w/ superdrive and bluetooth for around $1,000, making it a difference of only $200.

Now I'm contemplating going with a bigger screen. I'm going to swing by the Apple Store and use all 3 sizes.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Do you absolutely need portability? For $799 you can get the new Mac mini Core Duo 1.66 GHz, SuperDrive and Bluetooth included. And don't forget the awesome extras like iLife '06 and Front Row. You can also get a nice LCD monitor for the $200 extra you were willing to spend.

Just my 2 cents. :)

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
p0intblank said:
Do you absolutely need portability? For $799 you can get the new Mac mini Core Duo 1.66 GHz, SuperDrive and Bluetooth included. And don't forget the awesome extras like iLife '06 and Front Row. You can also get a nice LCD monitor for the $200 extra you were willing to spend.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Yes, it must be a laptop. I have a P4 2.4ghz at home with a nice 20.1" Wide Aspect Dell Monitor =)

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
while i don't think superdrive and bluetooth would necessarily be reason enough alone to upgrade to a powerbook, i think you'll find that upon using one, you're sold. i mean, i've used plenty of ibooks before. and they're certainly great machines. but nothing has the 'feel' of a powerbook. owning a powerbook now, i could never conceive of owning an ibook. not that i have anything against them. just personal preference, i suppose.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I would just wait, till they make an Intel iBook. The iBooks already have internal BT, and i'm sure you can get superdrive in the Intel 12" (or 13" as many people say). And with Intel, you'll get the good performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.