Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today launched an updated version of its Pixel Chromebook, which is equipped with USB-C, much like Apple's new Retina MacBook. With USB-C, the Chromebook's 12-hour battery can be fully recharged in approximately 90 minutes, and a 15 minute charge supplies two hours of power, according to Google.

The new Chromebook Pixel features an aluminum body, a 13-inch touchscreen with a resolution of 2560 x 1700 and an aspect ratio of 3:2, an Intel Core i5 Broadwell processor, 8GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage space.

Early reviews from sites like Re/code and Ars Technica have lauded the Chromebook Pixel for its design and its fast charging abilities, but the $999 price point is a major downside. The Pixel line is Google's most expensive Chromebook, and at such a high price, the web-focused ChromeOS operating system seems overly limited. Other Chromebooks sell for as little as $250.

Along with the $999 Chromebook Pixel, Google also has a higher-end version, which it's calling the Ludicrous Speed (LS) model. It has an Intel Core i7 Broadwell processor, 16GB of RAM, a 64GB solid state drive, and a $1,299 price tag.

The two new Chromebooks can be purchased from Google's new online Google Store, which it just debuted today. The Google Store sells a range of Google-branded products, from smartphones and tablets to Chromebooks and Android Wear accessories.

Article Link: Google Announces New Chromebook Pixel With USB-C, $999 Price Tag

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
While nice, I don't see a huge market for Chrome OS at the high-end still. Any users here who would be able to elaborate the utility of these?

tuslaw12

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Akron Ohio
Other than the OS it seems like a nice looking laptop. It's a bit overpriced especially considering the limitations of googles operating system. At least OS X is useable with many applications, for apples price you pay from the hardware and software. With that you're pretty much just getting hardware.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Great spec, the problem is the OS. I even would prefer if its available with windows 8.1

majorrom

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Better specs, you can charge and plug in a USB at the same time, and $300 cheaper? Too bad it's missing a good OS and is so thick.
(But really, who would spend $1000 for a Chrome OS machine? I guess you can install Linux on it)

jashworth03

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Accessories

They have a type C charger for $59 and a Type C to USB adapter for $12. Wonder if these will be cross compatible for the new macbook. If so, It saves about $29 from the Apple prices!

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
This is pretty similar to the Apple Watch. Cool features and over-priced. This will also sell at the pace of the Edition model.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Has anyone heard of any sales volumes for this device? I know it is a loss leader and concept device for the most part. But are we talking sales in the 100s or 1,000s. Or perhaps only a few dozen have sold. Does anyone know?

vantelimus

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
They would be a good value with a real operating system. With Chrome OS, they are overpriced Google-cloud-service terminals and little more.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Storage Sucks

So for $999 you only get 32 GB? For any extra $300 you get a much more capable machine with a real operating system that you can use without an Internet connection and run real programs like Photoshop and Xcode. You also get 256 GB solid state drive which is a huge difference. I know Chromebooks aren't supposed to have a lot of storage, but still...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.