Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyler550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Hi
I'm experiencing very slow download speeds on my internet connection despite speed tests showing everything is OK. My ISP has ruled out congestion & I have ruled out all hardware in my home other than my actual imac.

Are there any diagnostic tools on my imac that will allow me to see if there are faults with my hardware...like maybe my Ethernet connection or anything else related to internet connection ???
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I am at my wits end trying to find a solution to my poor speeds.

Thank you

tyler550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Thank you Weaselboy,I didn't even know this existed.
I passed the test which is great for my iMac but bad for my endless search to find a reason for my poor internet speeds.

Thanks again for your informative & prompt response.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I'm experiencing very slow download speeds on my internet connection despite speed tests showing everything is OK. My ISP has ruled out congestion & I have ruled out all hardware in my home other than my actual imac.

Thank you

What speed tests have you performed? Have you tried speedtest.net?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I would also look into your ISP and see if they have a speed test that you can use also. Speedtest.net is another great tool. I use both the speedtest and my ISP's test. They are both usually pretty spot on when it comes to the speed comparison.

tyler550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
What speed tests have you performed? Have you tried speedtest.net?

Yes,that's exactly what I'm using.Speeds in Australia are fine but international speeds are at dial up speeds since March 1.

SYDNEY
Ping: 31ms
D/L Speed: 5.52 mbps
Up Speed: 0.34 mbps

Las Vegas Nevada
Ping: 186ms
D/L Speed: 0.42mbps
Up Speed: 0.31 mbps

Copenhagen
Ping: 501ms
D/L Speed: 0.39 mbps
Up Speed: 0.31 mbps

SAINT PETERSBURG
Ping: 398ms
D/L Speed: 0.53mbps
Up Speed: 0.32mbps

I never believed it was my Mac's fault,how can a mac only effect international speeds? My ISP's tech support can't understand this simple logic, they insist that I rule out my Mac.They adamantly deny that they are suffering from congestion/bandwidth issues with international sites so I have to look into the SLIM possibility that my Mac is to blame.Desperation is a bad thing.

I would also look into your ISP and see if they have a speed test that you can use also.

They don't have a speed test on their website anymore,they just recommend speedtest.net. The most frustrating thing is that my ISP picks & chooses when these tests are accurate & not. Speed tests showing that speeds within Australia are fine are accepted while the very same speed tests showing that international speeds are very slow are dismissed.

I have no doubt that I am being throttled or that my ISP has an issue with International bandwidth.There is no way that I can prove this so I have to put up with very slow international speeds or move to another ISP.

Thanks for all the feedback.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Thank you Weaselboy,I didn't even know this existed.
I passed the test which is great for my iMac but bad for my endless search to find a reason for my poor internet speeds.

Thanks again for your informative & prompt response.

When you run Apple's Hardware Test it MUST be run in extended mode 2-3 times back to back to get any meaningful results. AHT does not always find errors in the 1st or 2nd pass, this is why it should be run multiple times back to back. When it does find errors (remember extended mode) they are correct. Running AHT in basic mode is worthless and a waste of time.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Yes,that's exactly what I'm using.Speeds in Australia are fine but international speeds are at dial up speeds since March 1.

Which ISP are you with? From those speedtest results, it definitely sounds like your ISP is having trouble with their international links.

tyler550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Running AHT in basic mode is worthless and a waste of time.

I'll keep this in mind for the future,thank you.

Which ISP are you with? From those speedtest results, it definitely sounds like your ISP is having trouble with their international links.

https://www.spintel.net.au/

Their tech support & even the manager refuses to accept the international speed tests but accept the domestic one.As far as they are concerned,speeds are fine in Australia so there is no issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.