Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inahandbasket2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Here's our situation: spouse and I have iPhones (6+ And 5S). Currently on vacay in Amsterdam NL. Thought we'd set up Verizon Global Services plan before we left USA. Get to Europe, restarted our phones per VZW's instructions. Nada. They never set up Global Services. (I have a hilarious Twitter DM thread between VZWSupport and me that I'm keeping indefinitely... What a bunch of maroons)

Interestingly, when spouse turned on her phone, TMobile showed up as the provider. Mine showed KPN NL. Wut.

Went to the Amsterdam Apple store to get SIM cards. They said they won't work in Verizon phones!! They said they get a lot of American customers asking for SIM cards.... Are they clueless or what?

Can someone tell me for sure if our phones will work over here by changing the SIM cards and not racking up huge international fees?

Thx

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
"Vacay" is not a word. Try spelling out "vacation." Just a few more letters, it won't hurt your fingers to type them, I promise! :)

As for the SIM card situation, I don't think Verizon-specific iPhones do include SIM cards, or at least they didn't in the past. They supposedly were not needed, the phones were set up to be "world phones" that would work anywhere. AT&T-specific iPhones did and still do come with SIM cards and AT&T users simply can swap out the cards when overseas. That is probably why you were told what you were by the Apple store employees.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
"Vacay" is not a word. Try spelling out "vacation." Just a few more letters, it won't hurt your fingers to type them, I promise! :)

As for the SIM card situation, I don't think Verizon-specific iPhones do include SIM cards, or at least they didn't in the past. They supposedly were not needed, the phones were set up to be "world phones" that would work anywhere. AT&T-specific iPhones did and still do come with SIM cards and AT&T users simply can swap out the cards when overseas. That is probably why you were told what you were by the Apple store employees.

The past was like that but thins changed. Verizon iPhones include sims since the iPhone 4s.

Inahandbasket2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015

What are you, the resident English teacher? Do you not use slang? Excuse moi if I offended thee.

Aside from your critique, your post was useless as both the Verizon 5S and 6+ iPhones has SIM cards.

bigdaddy223

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2014
What are you, the resident English teacher? Do you not use slang? Excuse moi if I offended thee.

Aside from your critique, your post was useless as both the Verizon 5S and 6+ iPhones has SIM cards.

"Vacay" you rock dude. you rock!

Don't pay that dude any attention.

!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Verizon iPhone are unlocked and yes have SIM cards due to LTE being based on GSM technology. When I went to Iceland just popped out my Verizon SIM card and purchased a local SIM with 5 GB of data for under $15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.