Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IDC on Thursday reduced its five year forecast for worldwide tablet shipments following the tablet market's first year-over-year decline in the fourth quarter. The research firm estimates that 234.5 million tablets will be shipped during 2015, representing marginal growth of 2.1% from 2014.

IDC-iPad-Forecast-2015-2019-800x588.png
Android is expected to remain the market leader among platforms throughout the course of the forecast, whereas the iPad is predicted to be the "weakest link" and see its volume share of the market continue to decline in 2015. IDC believes that iOS will drop from its present 27.6% market share to 23% through 2019.

The research firm also estimates that Microsoft could see its worldwide tablet market share nearly triple from 5.1% today to 14.1% market share in 2019 on the strength of Windows 10. IDC research director Jean Phillippe Bouchard claims Microsoft will slowly gain a foothold by delivering a consistent experience across all devices and platforms.
"Microsoft is doing a lot of good things right now and we believe the launch of Windows 10 later this year will not only have a significant impact on Microsoft's share of the market, but on the industry as a whole," said Bouchard, Research Director, Tablets. "There is an appetite for a platform that can provide a productivity experience that remains consistent across multiple form factors and device types, and we believe Microsoft is well positioned to capture some of that demand."
iPad momentum fell flat in the fourth quarter as overall tablet market growth continues to decline. iPad sales have declined for four consecutive quarters, and Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri cautioned investors during its latest earnings call that iPad sales are unlikely to see a dramatic year-over-year improvement in the near future. Nevertheless, it is rumored that Apple could have two new iPad in the works in an attempt to reinvigorate tablet sales.

First and foremost, Apple is expected to release the much-rumored "iPad Pro" later this year with a larger 12.9-inch screen and faster A8X processor. Meanwhile, a questionable rumor from last week claims that the company may release an iPad mini 4 with an A8 processor and 802.11ac Wi-Fi in the near future, after some users expressed disappointment that Touch ID was virtually the only new feature on the iPad mini 3.

Article Link: iPad Seen as 'Weakest Link' in Stagnating Tablet Market

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is directly related to people keeping their ipads longer. Tons of people are still using the ipad 2 with no desire to upgrade.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
This is directly related to people keeping their ipads longer. Tons of people are still using the ipad 2 with no desire to upgrade.

Don't state the obvious you'll be disputed.

Say things like apple is doomed for a real effect

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Apple usually nails it on the head, as far as what users want. But i'm starting to wonder if people are feeling as though iOS is too limited?? I personally don't thing so, but I also don't feel like an iPad replaces my computer.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Apple usually nails it on the head, as far as what users want. But i'm starting to wonder if people are feeling as though iOS is too limited?? I personally don't thing so, but I also don't feel like an iPad replaces my computer.

They were wrong about it replacing a computer. It doesn't. And it won't if it runs ios.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Everyone who wants an iPad has one, and as they are getting more powerful, there is less of a need to upgrade them. And anyone who doesn't want to spend $500 on an iPad, already has a Kindle or Android tablet, so they aren't in the Apple market. I had the original iPad and the original iPad mini.

I probably won't buy another tablet until Apple comes out with a 15" retina tablet device which I can use iOS when I want to (when holding it) then when I drop it on a kickstand, with my BT mouse/keyboard, I can run full Mac OS.

That's the only thing that excites me. Or, take the new MacBook. IF that screen could swivel and turn into an iPad with touch when I want it, and a computer when I need it, I'm all in there.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Exactly. I gave my 3rd then iPad to my dads when I upgraded to the Air 2, and he loves it. He thinks if he upgraded its only going to be lighter. He doesn't see any speed problems or performance issues.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

My friend's 11 year old has an iPad 3. It's not cutting edge, but it will last until it stops working most likely. No hurry to upgrade there.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho

For me iOS was too limited, so I ditched my iPad3 and bought a 13" rMBP. It's a bit heavier and a LOT more useful.

I know lots of people find their iPads to be productive tools. It just didn't work for me.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Depends on how much someone uses their iPad I think.

I first bought 3rd gen, then upgraded with first Air, still using the Air with no desire to upgrade but when I bought Air, 3rd gen felt slow as hell and that was my reason for upgrade.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010

It's so cut and dry simple that it blows my mind that the media and analysts keep spewing this garbage. I don't expect much from either group, but this crap again and again is just sad and pathetic.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I sold my iPad and I regret it. Im saving for a new one now, but it won't be for a few years (student loans :( ) I don't think Apple has done anything wrong with the iPad, but I feel like they need a refresh with some outstanding feature. That and make an iCloud drive app and maybe give us 20 GB of free storage. Then I can see it replacing a computer for lighter users

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

No that isn't it. The reason is because there is no compelling reason to upgrade. Even an iPad 2 will run all of todays apps just fine, and an iPad 3 will also. Unlike PCs which you need to upgrade if you want to run the latest and greatest apps without it feeling slow, the iPad always feels fast and runs all the apps (due to developers making apps to the lowest specs in order to have the broadest appeal). If Apple wants to sell more iPads they really need to kick the apps up to another level where it forces people to upgrade, unfortunately its hard to do that when most apps are just mini-games

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
This yr or next is when you will see apple users upgrade their iPads. Once your iPad starts running at a snail pace due to the latest and greatest ios upgrade folks will naturally start buying. I believe the iPad is a 3-4 yr upgrade type device. We have a iPad 3 and air so it maybe another 2-3 yrs before we upgrade.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Still using my iPad 3 and iPad Mini 1 with iOS 7 and they'll both stay that way until I find a good enough reason to buy newer models. If anything, my iPhone 6 is impacting iPad usage more than my MacBook Air is.

The iPad is basically used to stream movies/TV to my Apple TV

muledoggie

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Hahaha

Another hilarious analysis that assumes market share = winning/profitability. Hahahahaha

:D

Jeff

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I predict the main driver behind making the logic board so small in the new MAC and going to a single connector is to prepare for the iPad Pro. The board is now small enough to fit in the iPad form. I see a similar screen size, (about 12-13 inches) OSX, USB-C versus lightning connector and the option of a keyboard case. I half expected them to "snap" the screen off the keyboard and call it the new iPad. I mean, they don't light the logo on the thing which is the same as the iPad. I'm not an analyst though so I could be talking from my behind.

Edit: forgot the point of no fan needed any longer either. One more future iPad feature.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The problems surrounding the iPad are predominantly with iOS, not the iPad itself.

The only reason I am not upset at this is it keeps Apple focused on pushing the Mac which is doing excellent. Still my favorite products from Apple are Macs.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
iPad: The "magical" tablet crippled by iOS.

Apple was right in thinking a desktop operating system isn't right for a tablet, but iOS isn't the answer either. It need an OS all of its own, as powerful as OS X but with a touch-friendly interface.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Analyst Logic

If things are going up, predict they will go up forever.
If things are going down, predict they will decline forever.

You could write a BASIC program to do what they do.

It's a sweet job. Unlike weather forecasters nobody gets after them when they're wrong.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
With phablet sized smartphones like the iPhone 6plus canabalizing iPad sales, and the surface pro eating the iPad for lunch, Apple needs to really make the leap to an iPad that can run OS X and iOS. They need to address the need for iPads to be more productive for creative types. The iPhone 6 is a huge success, but people that buy the iPhone 6 plus in particular are choosing not to buy new iPads. I think an iPad that can run OS X and iOS will re energize iPad sales. Creative types would buy them up. Of course these new iPads would then canabalize the MacBook market...but I think Apple needs to address this growing trend that the surface pro is filling. Eventually they will have to. Just like they had to eventually make larger iPhones after saying they wouldn't for years.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Given that Apple supports these devices virtually forever, and has only incrementally improved them over time, this is really not much of a surprise...

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
They were wrong about it replacing a computer. It doesn't. And it won't if it runs ios.

I don't think they ever said its to replace the computer. It compliments it and until I bought the iPhone 6 I used my iPad 3 as well as my Mac regularly. iPad for web browsing and Mac for work. Now though, my iPad is so slow compared to the iPhone 6 I only use the iPad for iBooks so can't justify upgrading.

That's the way it will stay. I'll upgrade my Mac and Phone as they're the most important to me and do what I need until the iPad can do something better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.