Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freerollin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Hi all

here are some specs on my Macbook; (not sure if this is relevant)
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5

I have just changed my Mac address following instructions from wikihow;
http://www.wikihow.com/Spoof-a-MAC-Address

After i did this, all my browsers stopped working, but after restarting my laptop, everythings fine..

My question is, how do i know if i have successfully changed my mac address?

There are instructions on the link above to check if its changed, but there is nothing obvious showing that it has

Im totally useless with all technical computer stuff, so even some of the most simplistic things are kinda confusing to me

Thanks

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
May I ask what made you want to change the mac address from the start?
If this is a stolen item changing the mac will still get you caught.
If its stolen, turn it into the police.

Its very easy to see if the address changed as seen externally
Log onto your router and check

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
May I ask what made you want to change the mac address from the start?
If this is a stolen item changing the mac will still get you caught.
If its stolen, turn it into the police.

Its very easy to see if the address changed as seen externally
Log onto your router and check

I was thinking this myself

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
I am wondering why people can't just answer a simple question these days. Instead, of acting like one of the twelve disciples.

There are plenty of good reasons to change the mac address of a computer which do not involve being in possession of stolen property.

:mad:

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I am wondering why people can't just answer a simple question these days. Instead, of acting like one of the twelve disciples.

There are plenty of good reasons to change the mac address of a computer which do not involve being in possession of stolen property.

:mad:

Not to mention that MAC spoofing is only temporary and in the software and does not actually change the card's real MAC address, which anyway will revert the next time you reset. You guys above might do some more reading and less finger waging. The second poster doesn't even seem to know the difference between a serial number and a MAC address.

Here's one reason: you have your personal laptop at a secured facility, and want to use it for some reason instead of the PC desktop they give you, but internet access is MAC controlled. So, you spoof your laptop's wifi/ethernet card's MAC to use the officially-sanctioned MAC. I had to do this at a regular residential dorm in a college--not exactly a hardened nuclear facility--because they would only allow you to have one device with access to the internet :rolleyes: so I'd have to swap which device was using the "allowed" MAC.

Probably there are other reasons to do this too although it seems more likely the OP is just beginning his first steps into learning networking and not actually hacking / thieving. And no, changing your MAC will not affect your network settings at all unless you're in the situation mentioned in the paragraph above. Restarting your computer will send your MAC back to its default unless you set up a startup script or something to change it every time. Especially I'm pretty sure he's not looking for nefarious uses, since he seems pretty new about the whole thing... including that he's posting in the wrong subforum on Mac Rumors.

Last edited:

freerollin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Not to mention that MAC spoofing is only temporary and in the software and does not actually change the card's real MAC address, which anyway will revert the next time you reset. You guys above might do some more reading and less finger waging. The second poster doesn't even seem to know the difference between a serial number and a MAC address.

Here's one reason: you have your personal laptop at a secured facility, and want to use it for some reason instead of the PC desktop they give you, but internet access is MAC controlled. So, you spoof your laptop's wifi/ethernet card's MAC to use the officially-sanctioned MAC. I had to do this at a regular residential dorm in a college--not exactly a hardened nuclear facility--because they would only allow you to have one device with access to the internet :rolleyes: so I'd have to swap which device was using the "allowed" MAC.

Probably there are other reasons to do this too although it seems more likely the OP is just beginning his first steps into learning networking and not actually hacking / thieving. And no, changing your MAC will not affect your network settings at all unless you're in the situation mentioned in the paragraph above. Restarting your computer will send your MAC back to its default unless you set up a startup script or something to change it every time. Especially I'm pretty sure he's not looking for nefarious uses, since he seems pretty new about the whole thing... including that he's posting in the wrong subforum on Mac Rumors.
Hi

Could you talk me through the steps you took to change it?

Did you follow the same steps through terminal as the wikihow article describes in the OP? And you say its only temp, does that mean you need to take these steps every time you want to access online?

And fwiw, i think changing the MAC address is the last thing a thief has on their agenda...

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hi

Could you talk me through the steps you took to change it?

It was super easy to do on OS X, but actually trying it myself I see it's a little tricker in OS X 10.10. If you are on an older OS X, follow any of the many instructions you find online (it's a single line, the "sudo ifconfig" one). OS X 10.10 adds two more lines, in bold below:

1) Open up Terminal.app
2) Type

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -z

Press return and then put in your password. It will not show you the letters •••• as you put them in.

3) Now change your MAC address using a terminal command along the lines of:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether my:ne:wM:AC:ad:dr

Press return. If you're quick it will not ask for a sudo password this time. (The MAC will also need to be in the format of a real hexadecimal number, see below.)

4) Now again, still in terminal, type

networksetup -detectnewhardware

press return.

5) An OS X prompt will come up, put your password in there too and hit OK.
6) Done.

You can validate this by typing "ifconfig" in Terminal and pressing return. On the line following en0: you should see "ether" followed by the number you put in above. If you do not, then it did not change your MAC.

It's possible that your device you use to connect to the Internet is not en0 (it might be en1 or even a higher number, though unlikely). To find this, type "ifconfig" in Terminal and hit return, then look for your LOCAL IP address. If you don't know your local IP, you can find this by going to System Preferences -> Network then looking at whichever you're connected with, WiFi, ethernet, etc. For instance mine right now is 192.168.1.103.

Anyway, once you have your local IP address, you can find which device you're using to connect to the internet by finding the line that looks like:

inet 192.168.1.103 netmask 0xfffff ...

Then look two lines above that one, which will say something like

ether 8c:d1:33:f1:d6:2f

This is the MAC address for the hardware device (wifi, ethernet, or whatever) that connects you to the Internet. Then look for the subheading one line above the ether line you just read. It will say something like:

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST, ...>

This ("en0" but could be "en1" or even a higher number) is the device that you want to change the MAC address. It's almost certainly en0 or en1 for you. When changing your MAC address, keep in mind that the new one must be in the format of a real MAC address (i.e. hexadecimal, using numbers 0-9 and the letters a-f, and must be 6 pairs of 2; in any case if you put something invalid it will complain).

When you change the MAC with the "sudo ifconfig en0 ether..." line, it's only temporary in that every time you restart your computer, it will revert back to the original MAC address. If this is a big issue you can set up a shell script / startup script that will change your MAC every time you reset, or even at more regular intervals if for some reason you really want the MAC to spoof all the time.

Also keep in mind that you can't have two devices with the same MAC address on the same network at the same time.

Also if you're just starting to learn command line, then make sure you understand what you're typing in if you're just copy and pasting from the Internet, especially if you're asking forums of people that are often dicks. Don't trust any command with "sudo rm" in it.

Last edited:

JeReSpringer13

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2013
There is absolutely no reason to change the MAC address...

Free hotspots that only allow you to stay logged in for a certain amount of time. After the time is up, they block your MAC from connecting for a certain period of time.

I wish everyone would stop acting like the morality police and just answer the question or not respond.

Reactions: iBee

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
I would just run a Virtual Machine (you can run an OS X VM or choose your flavor of Linux), and then you'll be able to change the MAC address without any problems. Download VirtualBox, Fedora 21, set up your network connection as Bridged (VB settings) instead of NAT. You should be go to go!

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
I would just run a Virtual Machine (you can run an OS X VM or choose your flavor of Linux), and then you'll be able to change the MAC address without any problems. Download VirtualBox, Fedora 21, set up your network connection as Bridged (VB settings) instead of NAT. You should be go to go!

This is an incredibly roundabout way to solve a problem that could instead be solved by literally 3 lines of command line input directly in OSX.

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -z

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
This is an incredibly roundabout way to solve a problem that could instead be solved by literally 3 lines of command line input directly in OSX.

yeah of course, I was just throwing another solution that might be potentially more suitable to OP's needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.