Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has improved the design of its keyboard in iOS 8.3 to fix a long-standing issue that caused several iPhone users to accidentally tap the period key while attempting to use the space bar in Safari. The change to a longer space bar was first spotted in iOS 8.3 beta 2 within the MacRumors discussion forums, and also appears to be present in the third beta of the pre-release software.

iOS-8.3-Keyboard-800x287.png
iPhone 6 Plus users in particular have long complained about having Safari searches littered with periods because Apple did not extend the space bar to account for the extra space on the larger 5.5-inch screen, instead making the "Go" button larger. While not necessarily a bug, the design issue was an inconvenience for many users and prompted several complaints on social media and within our discussion forums. Twitter user Amanda Hearon, for example, voiced her frustration rather succinctly.
The whole . next to the space bar when you open safari on your iPhone has to be the most annoying thing ever. My searches look.like.this. - Amanda (@AmandaHearon) February 1, 2015
Apple launched its new iOS public beta testing program on Thursday, making the third beta of iOS 8.3 the first iPhone and iPad software version to be seeded to both developers and the public for testing. iOS 8.3 includes several new features, such as support for wireless CarPlay connectivity, a new emoji picker, support for Google two-step verification, and Apple Pay support for the China UnionPay network.

Article Link: Apple Fixes Keyboard in iOS 8.3 Beta So Searches.Don't.Look.Like.This

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
That Damned "Undo All" Key

I wish while they were at it they would add an option to disable the "all erase" key or whatever they call it. It should be optional.

Get through a small novel of typing and accidentally tap that thing and see how fun it is. GRRRRR.

EDIT: My mistake, that key is only in the stock texting app, not Safari. I just saw something about a keyboard correction and went on rant lol.

2ND Edit: Damn it lol. It's in safari, landscape mode, top left corner of keyboard, the key under the microphone.

Last edited:

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
My god I thought this was just my stupid thumb not being able to move over.

I haven't been alone for two years! My god I cannot wait for this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is the spacebar similarly larger/longer when dictation is enabled (and there's an extra microphone button to the left of the spacebar)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wish while they were at it they would add an option to disable the "all erase" key or whatever they call it. It should be optional.

Get through a small novel of typing and accidentally tap that thing and see how fun it is. GRRRRR.
There's a key like that?

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
There's a key like that?

IOS8 in landscape orientation, upper left corner of the keyboard, under the microphone key. When you hit it accidentally it reeeeealllly sucks and isn't too hard to do. Wipes out everything in that message, whether it's a sentence or a book. Gone.

Edit: Oops, not in Safari, just in the native Text App. Still annoying.

Edit 2: Yep it's in Safari too.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Yes yes yes.

Strange I couldn't find many others online with this issue. I've been annoyed with it for months.

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I've been having a bastard of a time getting used to the keyboard on the 6. This should help.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Nice! Funny that the article refers to this happening (only) on the 6 Plus -- it happens to me constantly on my 4-in. screen...

Same here. Never used to happen in iOS 6.
I don't know what it is about 7/8 but I feel like I have way more typos.

(I still prefer 7/8, so spare me the "get over iOS 6" comments)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.