Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
This is probably obvious to some people, but will the cables of new USB-C devices (like a USB-C iphone) be compatible with old USB-2 or 3 ports/hubs?
(Or, if I got an iphone that had a cable with USB-C, would it plug into my 2014 15" rMBP without having to use an adapter?)

Second, will old devices with USB-2 or 3 be able to plug into/work with USB-C hubs/ports?
(Or, if I have a USB-2 or 3 thumb drive, will I be able to plug it into my mac without an adapter when I eventually get a new USB-C mac?)

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
This is probably obvious to some people, but will the cables of new USB-C devices (like a USB-C iphone) be compatible with old USB-2 or 3 ports/hubs?
(Or, if I got an iphone that had a cable with USB-C, would it plug into my 2014 15" rMBP without having to use an adapter?)

Second, will old devices with USB-2 or 3 be able to plug into/work with USB-C hubs/ports?
(Or, if I have a USB-2 or 3 thumb drive, will I be able to plug it into my mac without an adapter when I eventually get a new USB-C mac?)

All USB devices are backwards compatible as long as you have the proper cable or adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.