Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VillasManzanill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hi

I have a x5690 and 64gb ram. mac pro mid 2012
i am thinking to have better performance in final cut pro x and gopro 4k files
can i add a PC Ati 5770 to take advantage of the dual gpu processing? i want the
best bang for there buck so i think adding a second card might be the cheapest
$41 USD for a dual gpu, i have the original mac version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GV...599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541b66b0af

or also this one

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-486957331-tarjeta-de-video-amd-hd5770-1-gb-ddr5-_JM

do i need to flash it to make it work as a dual setup?
or do i need to buy the apple version ? $200 USD. if thats the case its not worth it i think.

thanks

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Good question.

Unlike Nvidia cards which choose PCIE speed via code in firmware, AMD cards choose link speed via the placement of 10K resistors.

An unflashed (and most flashed) 5770s will run at PCIE 1.0 while your real Apple one will run at 2.0. So, twice as fast on the bus. I don't know if anyone has ever tested the effect this would have on both cards working in OpenCl together.

May be minuscule, may be a problem. You can be the ground breaker. If you want to be the one to find the real answer, get the card and run some benchmarks. Send us the card afterward and we will do the PCIE 2.0 mod FOR FREE. (MODS...not offering paid service, this is offer for free help for entire community)

You can then run the same tests and let everyone know the answer.

philliplakis

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
AUS
I have a system with factory dual 5770 and another system with a flashed on @ pcie1.0
I'm more than happy to run the benchmarks for you, il not sure there will be much of a difference though but happy to do it.
Let me know which benchmarks you need done

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have a system with factory dual 5770 and another system with a flashed on @ pcie1.0
I'm more than happy to run the benchmarks for you, il not sure there will be much of a difference though but happy to do it.
Let me know which benchmarks you need done

There is a time saver, thanks very much.

I have no horses in this race as we haven't sold 5770s in years but I think it would be interesting to have a FINAL answer.

Specifically, with FCP-X and it's use of OpenCl.

Best would be to find the Barefeats FCP-X benches he ran with 5770s. Recreate with Dual PCIE 2.0 cards, record your results, then take one out and replace with PCIE 1.0 version, run same tests again.

I know that when I was doing Crossfire and SLI tests that mixing PCIE speeds caused trouble but the marriage of cards there was more intimate. OpenCl may or may not care.

philliplakis

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
AUS
There is a time saver, thanks very much.

I have no horses in this race as we haven't sold 5770s in years but I think it would be interesting to have a FINAL answer.

Specifically, with FCP-X and it's use of OpenCl.

Best would be to find the Barefeats FCP-X benches he ran with 5770s. Recreate with Dual PCIE 2.0 cards, record your results, then take one out and replace with PCIE 1.0 version, run same tests again.

I know that when I was doing Crossfire and SLI tests that mixing PCIE speeds caused trouble but the marriage of cards there was more intimate. OpenCl may or may not care.

Ok, give me a day or two and il report back.

philliplakis

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
AUS
Running the tests today.

Wasn't at my computer over the weekend../

As I'm not a FCPX user,
Can someone point out how to use Gaussian Blur & Water plane

http://barefeats.com/tube05.html

That's the barefeats tests I'm referencing !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.