Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Friends in the PPC Community,

I have been reading around the MacRumors webpages on and off since 2003 but have only been a member for 1.5 months. While the discussions here are usually a great resource and an oasis from modern day computing, things seems be somewhat unruly. Recently I have found myself getting involved in long winded, off topic conversations with the same individual far too often. The threads severely deviate from their original intention. Over the past few days, I feel things things have escalated.

Originally I would respond to this particular forum member like any other with my disagreement and thoughts on the subject. It soon became evident that he/she constantly spreads what I will regard as misinformation- information either unrelated, simply incorrect, dangerous, contains poor judgement, or is vastly overgeneralized and based on limited experience, without supportive statistics. There are many inconsequential occasions of this (i.e. All people who use iPhones are X, computers haven't made any functional improvements in 20 years, etc) but it makes wonder what such a narrow mind believes about people of different ethnicities, religions, cultures, etc and how he/she might treat them accordingly. My desire was to get this individual to think beyond their own biases.

While I believe most other members recognize the poor judgement he/she has been providing, my responses were intended to educate this specific person on either logic/reason or reality. I wanted to address his/her fallacies and most of all try to get he/she to think in a more comprehensive manner.

Over the past few days he/she has become increasingly defiant, retaliatory, and argumentative towards me. I apologize because I feel responsible for feeding into the nonsense and know I have contributed to getting things off topic in my communication with said person. This consequently has diminished the quality of the threads and the enjoyment of being here.

I regret that this is what things have come to and apologize for whatever responsibility I may have in it. I will say I was raised in a culture stereotypically known for bickering. It can serve a function when used in the right place, which is not in the middle of a thread about something completely different. The intention behind my actions was not to argue or derail, but rather to help in getting the person to think in a broader sense, particularly in issues pertaining to danger in legalities or physical safety. In the future, I will do my best to keep things on track. Also, I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to the PPC section and makes it the best part of MR!

Regards,
Ari

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have found in my time here that the Ignore List is a very good tool.

Interestingly enough, I have also found that several of the members I put on my ignore list later went on to be banned.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Friends in the PPC Community,

I have been reading around the MacRumors webpages on and off since 2003 but have only been a member for 1.5 months. While the discussions here are usually a great resource and an oasis from modern day computing, things seems be somewhat unruly. Recently I have found myself getting involved in long winded, off topic conversations with the same individual far too often. The threads severely deviate from their original intention. Over the past few days, I feel things things have escalated.

Originally I would respond to this particular forum member like any other with my disagreement and thoughts on the subject. It soon became evident that he/she constantly spreads what I will regard as misinformation- information either unrelated, simply incorrect, dangerous, contains poor judgement, or is vastly overgeneralized and based on limited experience, without supportive statistics. There are many inconsequential occasions of this (i.e. All people who use iPhones are X, computers haven't made any functional improvements in 20 years, etc) but it makes wonder what such a narrow mind believes about people of different ethnicities, religions, cultures, etc and how he/she might treat them accordingly. My desire was to get this individual to think beyond their own biases.

While I believe most other members recognize the poor judgement he/she has been providing, my responses were intended to educate this specific person on either logic/reason or reality. I wanted to address his/her fallacies and most of all try to get he/she to think in a more comprehensive manner.

Over the past few days he/she has become increasingly defiant, retaliatory, and argumentative towards me. I apologize because I feel responsible for feeding into the nonsense and know I have contributed to getting things off topic in my communication with said person. This consequently has diminished the quality of the threads and the enjoyment of being here.

I regret that this is what things have come to and apologize for whatever responsibility I may have in it. I will say I was raised in a culture stereotypically known for bickering. It can serve a function when used in the right place, which is not in the middle of a thread about something completely different. The intention behind my actions was not to argue or derail, but rather to help in getting the person to think in a broader sense, particularly in issues pertaining to danger in legalities or physical safety. In the future, I will do my best to keep things on track. Also, I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to the PPC section and makes it the best part of MR!

Regards,
Ari

I don't think you have cause to apologise, you've never been abusive in your responses. You've simply engaged in protracted discussion hoping to make a difference to someone else's outlook - threads often go off topic - I wouldn't worry about it. I'd rather have an unruly forum where people speak their mind than one where everyone is superficially polite for fear of disagreeing with or upsetting someone.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Don't worry, I agree with you for letting the person know that they were using poor judgement (and I think I know who your talking about, so I agree that it was a good thing that you correct that person). Some things that were said could easily be a hazard to you or your equipment, which obviously is dangerous. I, too, at times have blasted people on here for being annoying, wrong, or harmful. Nothing wrong with being defensive to your thoughts, but at the same time, not everyone knows they are incorrect at the time of posting, and a gentle reminder would be able to let them know they are wrong. However, if they are being annoying or spreading dangerous "tips" or something of the sorts, feel free to blast them on it like you have been. PM is also a great feature to correct someone so it doesn't clog up threads or annoy Mods.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Recently I have found myself getting involved in long winded, off topic conversations with the same individual far too often. The threads severely deviate from their original intention.

<snip>

No apology necessary as far as I'm concerned.

The individual has not gone unnoticed. I've got a finite capacity for tolerating poor judgement and I'll admit I've been replying to these topics more than I should.

I'll stop there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.