Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary Irwin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I need to add more USB3 ports to my riMac but every expander I've tried so far interferes with my wireless mouse and keyboard (Logitech USB2 devices) due RF interference.

Are there any solutions?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I need to add more USB3 ports to my riMac but every expander I've tried so far interferes with my wireless mouse and keyboard (Logitech USB2 devices) due RF interference.

Are there any solutions?

You will need to find one with better shielding. If you do manage that post your results here for other people's benefit.

I haven't used this but Lindy sell an industrial hub they claim has good shielding, and I know that in general Lindy sell pretty good products. It's expensive though.
http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/usb-hubs-c227/7-port-industrial-usb-3-0-hub-metal-p7369

Here is an Intel white paper on the issue:- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Gary Irwin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks Steve. I gave up trying to find a hub with better shielding (could have been an expensive exercise in trial and error) and instead dug up an old 30" Logitech USB extender and used that to hold my Logitech Unifying USB Receiver, placed right beside my keyboard and mouse. It's far enough away that it no longer interferes with the USB 3 hub.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Thanks Steve. I gave up trying to find a hub with better shielding (could have been an expensive exercise in trial and error) and instead dug up an old 30" Logitech USB extender and used that to hold my Logitech Unifying USB Receiver, placed right beside my keyboard and mouse. It's far enough away that it no longer interferes with the USB 3 hub.

I use a Genesys 4-hub expander, and it's a distance away from the iMac because it has a long USB 3 cable connected to the iMac from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.