Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ridgeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
I have an original air a1237

I installed a brand-new 64 GB SSD drive in it today. After I started up after I select the drive I get this.

NTLDR is missing press control alt delete to restart

Do I need to make up an OS X lion flash drive and boot from there?

Please let me know if you know what I'm talking about!

I'm stuck.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The "NTLDR is missing (etc) " message is a Windows boot error, which means either that your SSD has a Windows partition (and is NOT new), or something about your SSD partition is REALLY confusing your MBAir.

You said that your SSD is new?
AND
Do you want to use Windows?

If you do want to use Windows, then you will need to repair the Windows installation.
If you don't want to keep Windows, then - yes - you should setup an OS X installer on a USB flash drive, which will work very well.
Boot to the Lion installer, run Disk Utility, and remove the partition. Make sure the SSD is formatted with GUID partition table, and that the partition is MacOS Extended (Journaled). You can do all that through the Disk Utility.

Ridgeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Hello. Thank you for the reply.

I ordered the drive brand-new from Amazon. When I hold down the option key when loading the only drive that shows up is the one that I installed. It is labeled windows which is kind of strange but okay. When I use the thumb Drive to load lion will it then give me the option for the disk utility? Right now I have nothing. I assume that once I get the thumb drive, load lion and and erase the new SSD then I should be all good. Sorry I sound a little slow. I'm still learning Mac.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you have another Mac that you can use to create the installer flash drive?

Here's the sequence to follow:
Purchase Lion http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
You get a redemption code that you would use to download the Lion installer from the App Store. You'll need a Mac running at least OS X 10.6.8 to get that download.

Once you have that installer, you can use various methods to build your own installer flash drive.
Get an 8GB size - ideal for the installer.
One method that I use is the app "DiskMakerX" - makes the task very simple, without needing to type in a bunch of terminal commands.
http://diskmakerx.com/whats-this/
Get the older version 3.0.4 - which works best with Lion.

When you finish making that flash drive, you can boot to that drive, (you know how to choose a startup drive from the Option-boot menu :D ) which will give you a menu screen with several choices - where you can choose Disk Utility.
Click on the device line for the SSD (which shows SSD model number, etc), then the Partition tab.
Choose 1 Partition from the Partition Layout dropdown. Name the new partition, if you like (otherwise it will be named a default (Untitled 1 or whatever)
Double check that the Options button shows GUID partition table, and click OK.
Check that the Format will be Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Apply button.
The process only takes about 30 seconds. When it completes, you can Quit Disk Utility, and continue on with the OS X Reinstall. It will take 30 minutes to an hour. (might be slow on your vintage MBAir, so be patient)

And, there's a new user setup before you can use your MBAir, but that should all be successful.
Come back if you need more help - or get totally stuck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.