Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Paragon released a new tool for backup and cloning Bootcamp partitions.

It's for free.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/bootcamp-backup/

Key Features & Benefits:
Sector-level backup – to create file system backups;
Backup to VD – to store your data in a virtual disk. You can mount this disk and access the partition data at a point in time, when backup was done;
Incremental imaging – to only back up changed sectors. Incremental imaging improves backup efficiency and reduces storage disk space required by the image;
Schedule backup – to automate regular backup operations;
Selective restore – to easy extract files and folders from a backup image without the need for restoring an entire image;
Windows migration – to migrate Windows OS from one Mac computer to another;
Pinned archive state - to pin the archive or increment state and to be sure that you can always go back to it. This archive will never be changed or merged automatically;
Support for Windows installed on separate disk;
Enhanced restore to another Mac;
Paragon Updater.

System Requirements:
OS X 10.7 Lion
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
OS X 10.9 Mavericks
OS X 10.10 Yosemite

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Paragon released a new tool for backup and cloning Bootcamp partitions.

It's for free.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/bootcamp-backup/

Key Features & Benefits:
Sector-level backup – to create file system backups;
Backup to VD – to store your data in a virtual disk. You can mount this disk and access the partition data at a point in time, when backup was done;
Incremental imaging – to only back up changed sectors. Incremental imaging improves backup efficiency and reduces storage disk space required by the image;
Schedule backup – to automate regular backup operations;
Selective restore – to easy extract files and folders from a backup image without the need for restoring an entire image;
Windows migration – to migrate Windows OS from one Mac computer to another;
Pinned archive state - to pin the archive or increment state and to be sure that you can always go back to it. This archive will never be changed or merged automatically;
Support for Windows installed on separate disk;
Enhanced restore to another Mac;
Paragon Updater.

System Requirements:
OS X 10.7 Lion
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
OS X 10.9 Mavericks
OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Does it work like WinClone?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Konstantin Komarov, CEO of PSG, told eWEEK. "It's free at the moment but can likely to get incorporated by our commercial boot camp solutions later."

The full article with the above quote can be found here.

Still, it looks interesting and competition is always a good thing. The incremental backups are something Winclone doesn't currently do. I'd be interested to see how fast it is compared to Winclone. As of Version 4 of Winclone, the speed of backup/restores is really improved from previous releases and quite speedy overall.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Probably in response to Paragon's offering?

I highly doubt they got it out the door in the week or two since Paragon's press release. I would guess that Version 5 of Winclone has been in development for some time now. Version 4 was released a long while back.

Either way, I've already used Paragon's offering and found it to be quite useful. The added bonus is that it's free.

See my post above. According to the Paragon CEO's rhetoric, it may not be free for long. Maybe just as long as it takes people to get good and used to it and all backed up with it. ;)

I haven't decided whether to pony up the $20 upgrade fee for Version 5 of Winclone myself. I don't really need incremental backups. It's a nice feature though.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Doesn't work for me anyway. Why I click "Backup now" it immediately says "Backup cancelled by user". Oh well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Probably in response to Paragon's offering?

Either way, I've already used Paragon's offering and found it to be quite useful. The added bonus is that it's free.

No, it takes a lot of time to roll out new versions of software. I'm a user of winclone and I'm happy with that, actually I need to say I was a user of winclone. I've since removed the bootcamp partition and my MBP is OSX only now. For my windows needs I have a Surface Pro 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.