Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I have two 6 Plus iPhones on the same account. I use one for a backup that was restored from a backup of my primary phone.

I can send messages fine from the primary, but I cannot send messages from my backup phone to non-Apple phones. I can send iMessages fine.

I've messed a bit with the Messaging settings, but am wondering if anyone else has this issue?

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
I have two 6 Plus iPhones on the same account. I use one for a backup that was restored from a backup of my primary phone.

I can send messages fine from the primary, but I cannot send messages from my backup phone to non-Apple phones. I can send iMessages fine.

I've messed a bit with the Messaging settings, but am wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Maybe because you need a second SIM card?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Ahhhhh!

Nevermind!

I just found the setting on the ORIGINAL phone under Settings>Messages>TextMessageForwarding.

You have to have the backup phone 'turned on' as an authorized sender.

----------

Maybe because you need a second SIM card?

Thanks, but no. I found the solution. I was focusing on the backup phone settings. The correct setting was found on the original phone.

Two separate lines, but I mirror the phones with iCloud backup, and allow each to receive the same texts/alerts. Calls are also forwarded to the backup phone.

I did this because I lost my phone for two days, my internet was out for 24 hours, and I was a Muther'***** wreck without connectivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.