Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I was thinking making a Thread just for the subject of Song Meanings. I am sure I am not the only one who has listened to a song and wondered what does that song mean? Well being that the case I am sure you rarely can ever find an answer. Maybe other fourmgoers know the meaning or have a way to find it that you never thought of or didn't try that...

Either way...... I'll start it off.

What is the meaning of "Case of the Ex" by Mya?

tayluftwaffel

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
I firmly believe that this thread has too many opportunities to expand in any direction to the point that it will simply not work. Perhaps narrow your scope, as right now, you are essentially asking the hundred community discussion participants to discuss a topic as broad as the animalia kingdom.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I too find myself wondering about the "meaning" of music at times. However, I'm not sure that all songs have a specific meaning, theme, or message. Sometimes I think artists just want to tell a good story and there are certainly times that I think music lyrics are simply a reflection of our society as a whole.

But, as you stated in the OP, I'm not sure there is a definitive source where one can find an accurate answer as to the meaning of any given song.

I remember hearing a radio jockey who was reportedly good friends with the Eagles once recount the true "meaning" or basis for the song Hotel California. It was very interesting, certainly sounded true, and made sense. However, do I know for sure that what he said was accurate, no, and I don't know how to prove or disprove it.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
These days I believe the meaning of most songs is to make money. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

I would believe that to be true as "Weird Al" Yankovic stated in his song "Don't Download This Song" just says that it's all about the money.

I cannot confirm it, however I was told that artists in reality do not have much money, the record company pays EVERYTHING, The MVs, the song recordings, the Tours.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I cannot confirm it, however I was told that artists in reality do not have much money, the record company pays EVERYTHING, The MVs, the song recordings, the Tours.

Well, if you're a highly successful artist you will make a lot of money and will become very wealthy. Last I heard Taylor Swift's net worth was estimated to be ~150 million and that was before her highly successful "1989" album release. A couple years ago she bought a roughly $18,000,000 house in Watch Hill (Westerly), Rhode Island. I can tell you she's not as popular around town as she is nationally. Paul McCartney, one of the most successful artists of all time, is supposedly worth $660m.

But yes, the artists usually get a very small proportion of the action. That said, if they sell millions of albums, it ends up being a lot of money. For not so successful artists, they won't make a whole lot of money.

As for "The Case of the Ex" (by the way a very random choice), I think the song meaning is quite literal as it's a story. It's about a guy who starts talking to his ex girlfriend and Mya (the new girlfriend) finds out it and is angry/jealous. I don't think there is much room for interpretation with this one. I'm not sure if you had other ideas or if the music video portrays some other story. This is a mainstream pop song that I do not see as containing any "deep" message needing to be deciphered. It's popular because it's catchy and people can relate to the storyline.

Last edited:

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Well, if you're a highly successful artist you will make a lot of money and will become very wealthy. Last I heard Taylor Swift's net worth was estimated to be ~150 million and that was before her highly successful "1989" album release. A couple years ago she bought a roughly $18,000,000 house in the same town as my parent's summer home in Watch Hill (Westerly), Rhode Island. I can tell you she's not as popular around town as she is nationally. Paul McCartney, one of the most successful artists of all time, is supposedly worth $660m.

But yes, the artists usually get a very small proportion of the action. That said, if they sell millions of albums, it ends up being a lot of money. For not so successful artists, they won't make a whole lot of money.

As for "The Case of the Ex" (by the way a very random choice), I think the song meaning is quite literal as it's a story. It's about a guy who starts talking to his ex girlfriend and Mya (the new girlfriend) finds out it and is angry/jealous. I don't think there is much room for interpretation with this one. I'm not sure if you had other ideas or if the music video portrays some other story. This is a mainstream pop song that I do not see as containing any "deep" message needing to be deciphered. It's popular because it's catchy and people can relate to the storyline.

I actually like the beat of the song. I tend to play music in my car LOUD and with this particular song you can hear the beat 100 feet away with the windows up. I tend to play my music so loud it drowns out my own horn
as far as the MV goes... never knew there was one i'll surly have to watch that

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Since i have a rather boring life..... I came up with this.......

I actually found a website that will describe what song lyrics mean. The site is called Genius.

A few songs to add to this thread:

Lorde's songs “Royals” and “Team”. After reviewing the meanings of them it leads me to this: Although Lorde has lots of valid points lyrically with these songs, It also interprets her as thinking shes all that. Or Stuck up as some would call it.

Tove Lo's hits “Habits (Stay High)” makes her a lush and a junkie, and her song “Talking Body” makes her as a manipulator and a slut. Based on the fact she says the lyrics are “All True” with her songs certainly doesn't cast her in a good light nor does it seem shed actually have a romantic meaningful relationship with anyone she's with when she bases her relationships solely on sex. Self-esteem much?

Also Kelly Clarkson's latest hit “Heartbeat Song” Is about meeting someone that revives her faith in Love.

And Clean Bandit's hit “Rather be” is a romance song basing on keeping a LDR (Long-Distance Relationship) alive.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Meghan Trainor's music video Dear Future Husband is all about finding a husband who will indulge her lack of self control when it comes to food.

seems like the MV to that song is her being the Retro wife (She stays home cooking and cleaning) while her husband supports her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.