Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Cool, I will have to try it.

I am not planning to get the Apple Watch though I have a 6 Plus. I like my Moto and I will save $349. :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Btw, if you actually say "OK Google" about five times, and use it, that annoying newbie prompt will go away. E.g.

OK Google, what's the weather today?
OK Google, set an alarm for 6 PM.
OK Google, when's my next meeting?
OK Google, take a note: Try the new restaurant on Main Street.
OK Google, stop telling me OK Google.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Btw, if you actually say "OK Google" about five times, and use it, that annoying newbie prompt will go away. E.g.

OK Google, what's the weather today?
OK Google, set an alarm for 6 PM.
OK Google, when's my next meeting?
OK Google, take a note: Try the new restaurant on Main Street.
OK Google, stop telling me OK Google.

holy crap, thanks for the tip! i only use it to reply to messages and emails, i hardly used OK Google!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah but you took all the fun out of spending 15k on a watch to get Mickey on it.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
My Galaxy Gear S > Apple Vapor Watch

Me neither ;)

My Galaxy Gear S Home screen:

Screen-20150315161852_zpspalothv9.png

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't need no apple watch!

Apple also are not the only manufacturer to use this version of Mickey Mouse on the face of a watch. Quite a few including luxury brands have used this trademark in the past so it's a reference rather than something unique.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

So, are you saying you actually think your Mickey animation actually has the "Magical Midas Touch" to turn your watch into gold? .... or you simply don't have enough sense to see the problem with comparing apples to oranges???

FWITW, I don't own, or care much for jewelry .... but at least I know what it is ....

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Not exactly fair to call it a "vapor watch". It's a real thing.

can't help but poke fun at how long it finally took them...and it's still not shipping until late April.

It will be huge for both Apple and Google. The exposure of a smart watch will only help the wearables industry.

agree.

Christ, that icon design is terrible. They didn't even bother with symmetry at the very least. Burn it.

meh...don't see the concern over whatever is bothering you about it. nice that someone was able to whip up something like this that is functional. Like all the apps on my S, they update and improve very regularly. I like this one.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
You're welcome.

I use OK Google a lot when my wife and I are talking and cannot remember the name of somebody or something.

So I just ask the watch to search. Stuff like, "OK Google, who starred in the movie Body Heat ? "

Junk like that.

i used to to think you were a knowledgeable poster :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If this is true, I'd be even more disinclined to purchase an Apple Watch: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...oming-up-later-this-year-analyst-says_id67311

In the meantime, Mr. Arcuri and his sources seem to believe that the Apple Watch 2 is already underway and should be released by the end of 2015. The new timepiece will, reportedly, be capable of autonomous functionality (no need to tether to iPhone) and will feature its own set of full connectivity tools, as well as an OLED display, built by none other but Samsung.

Not that I'm the least bit interested in the Apple Watch anyway.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
If this is true, I'd be even more disinclined to purchase an Apple Watch: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...oming-up-later-this-year-analyst-says_id67311

In the meantime, Mr. Arcuri and his sources seem to believe that the Apple Watch 2 is already underway and should be released by the end of 2015. The new timepiece will, reportedly, be capable of autonomous functionality (no need to tether to iPhone) and will feature its own set of full connectivity tools, as well as an OLED display, built by none other but Samsung.

Not that I'm the least bit interested in the Apple Watch anyway.

I find that hard to believe. Goes completely against Apple' way of doing things.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yeah that's way too soon.

I predict they'll update the watch as they do their macs. Not necessarily every year. It'll range.

I concur - you and I seem to be among the few who don't think these things won't follow an iPhone or even an iPad upgrade cycle.

Hence why I think they can get away with the $10k watch. At that price point, the people who are buying them are spending $10k like I spend $20.

They also won't need to upgrade - how must faster can a Watch processor get?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If it's a yearly upgrade cycle then it will put a lot of people off considering they are not exactly cheap. I think it's a little rude to start reading people with a second generation while trying to get people to buy the first. I really don't get the Apple watch at all however.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Think of the watch more like the ATV. That thing was upgraded every 2-3 yrs because there really isnt anything that can't be upgraded via software seeing as that is what dictates the experience and content delivery.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Think of the watch more like the ATV. That thing was upgraded every 2-3 yrs because there really isnt anything that can't be upgraded via software seeing as that is what dictates the experience and content delivery.

I'd agree with you if this were already an established product, but I have a hard time believing that Apple with come up with a product with 2-3 years of longevity at the initial release. Some things (case size, sensors available, battery life) really can't be changed via software. I seem to remember a couple of reports mentioning features that were removed from the watch because they couldn't be finished in time (I thought skin response measurements were mentioned). Maybe there will be a significant time span between the second and third iterations, but I have to believe that the first generation product will have deficiencies that need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Somehow I think the base model at $349 will drop pretty quickly.

I'd say throw out a decent percentage of the following population: throw out parents buying one for their teens, many have bought them an iphone but doubt they would get them the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.