Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I know we've had a lot of discussion here lately about TiBooks. I've recently been fortunate enough to acquire two 1ghz TiBooks(the last and best) along with a 400mhz(the first model). I thought I'd throw together a quick thread with comparisons between the beginning and end of the line.

I'm not going to focus on raw specs so much, as you all can find those easily enough online. The relevant information, aside from processor speed, is of course that the first generation uses an ATI Rage 128 with 8mb VRAM, while the last generation(at least in 1ghz form) uses a Radeon 9000 with 64mb VRAM. The last generation has 1mb of L3 cache, while the first generation has no L3. My first generation has a DVD-ROM drive-most last generation models have a combo drive(DVD-ROM+CD-RW) although the one I show here has a Superdrive(DVD-R only). Both can accept the same maximum amount of RAM(1gb), although the first generation runs at 100mhz and the last generation at 133mhz. I intend to benchmark both once I get Leopard installed, but for now this is just a comparison of the physical attributes of the systems.

From the outside, both look pretty similar(400mhz on left, 1ghz on right)

IMG_1276.jpg

The bottom cover is a little bit different, but again nothing remarkable. The most notable thing to me is that the 400mhz uses Phillips head screws, and the 1ghz uses Torx screws.

IMG_1277.jpg

Again, the back panel looks very similar, aside from the fact that the 400mhz has an IRDA port

IMG_1278.jpg

The most notable difference in the ports is that the 400mhz has a VGA port, while the 1ghz(actually the last two generations) have DVI ports. In addition, although not readily seen, the 400mhz PMU reset button is located next to the S-Video out. The 1ghz has an audio out port in this location.

IMG_1279.jpg

Opening the two up reveals a very similar appearance, but also probably the most striking difference. The later computers have a higher resolution screen. Also, the font used for the "Powerbook G4" text is different on the two models.

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

And, finally, an "under the hood" shot showing that they are fairly similar yet quite different.

IMG_1289.jpg

In light use-at least under OS 9-they are both as fast as I could ask of them. Of course, when the rubber meets the road, the 1ghz is a LOT faster, but either is a decent web browsing or light gaming computer. Both are fun to have around.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Cool comparison. Good to know the bottom cases are not the same as I've been considering replacing the bottom my 1 Ghz.

Do you know if the keyboards are the same? I know the newer models have the exposé logo on the F7 key and the older models do not (I'm not sure when exactly the cutoff is).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can attest to the 400mhz's ability to handle 10.5.8 well. With 1gb of ram it was slightly slow but not bad.

Also, the last TiBook will accept the screen from a 400mhz. The video card just ignores any higher resolution.

The one problem there is that between those two models Apple relocated the reed switch. My son has to sleep his TiBook before closing the lid because the system can never detect that the lid has been closed since the reed switch has been moved.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
One major advantage of the DVI models is the 1MB of L3 cache that was added. It makes a HUGE difference in overall performance. Obviously ditching the Rage 128 also makes the DVI systems much more doable with OS X (particularly Leopard). I've also found the screens on the later TiBooks to be VERY pleasant to look at, even with the darn keyboard marks.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Cool comparison. Good to know the bottom cases are not the same as I've been considering replacing the bottom my 1 Ghz.

Do you know if the keyboards are the same? I know the newer models have the exposé logo on the F7 key and the older models do not (I'm not sure when exactly the cutoff is).

Keyboards are different. I think the cut-off point is somewhere around 667MHz. Possibly with the switch to DVI.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
A quick question - how well does the Radeon 16Mb in the Onyx run Leopard ? I've still got an retail copy I bought for the MBP on launch day. The lack of L3 cache and Core Image support put me off trying it so far.

I'll have to stick some pics up of my Onyx at some point. Couple of paint chips, otherwise it's perfect.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I can attest to the 400mhz's ability to handle 10.5.8 well. With 1gb of ram it was slightly slow but not bad.

Also, the last TiBook will accept the screen from a 400mhz. The video card just ignores any higher resolution.

The one problem there is that between those two models Apple relocated the reed switch. My son has to sleep his TiBook before closing the lid because the system can never detect that the lid has been closed since the reed switch has been moved.

Wow, ok I have Tiger on my 500Mhz, but I've thought about Leopard. Where'd you get your RAM? Mine still has the stock 512MB, so that could be the cause of slowness. I love getting newer software working on older machines, my main desktop is a MacPro1,1 with Yosemite :p.

I agree with Hrududu, the TiBook has one of my favorite screens ever, although I'm sure a MBP with a matte screen would suffice, I've only ever seen two.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I agree with Hrududu, the TiBook has one of my favorite screens ever, although I'm sure a MBP with a matte screen would suffice, I've only ever seen two.

It's good for the period and completely blows away a modern el-cheapo laptop panel. The High-Res antiglare I had on the 2011 MBP edges it though despite the Apple-tax. It's quite a warm tone compared to the rMPB side by side.

The first unibodies were terrible for reflections with the standard screen, the new retina's are much better with the clever voodoo magic coatings. I'd still rather have an AG option.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, ok I have Tiger on my 500Mhz, but I've thought about Leopard. Where'd you get your RAM? Mine still has the stock 512MB, so that could be the cause of slowness.
If you kill the eye candy and you do not expect an instant response it does well. It's kind of the difference between a sprinter and a marathoner. They both get to the same place, but one's a bit faster.

As to the ram, I think I ordered that off crucial.com. Crucial to me, is a bit more expensive but the ram is good and their online tool still accounts for PowerPC Macs.

However, the last time I got ram from them was some time in 2008-2009 so it's been six years.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
TiBooks-First vs. Last

If you kill the eye candy and you do not expect an instant response it does well. It's kind of the difference between a sprinter and a marathoner. They both get to the same place, but one's a bit faster.

As to the ram, I think I ordered that off crucial.com. Crucial to me, is a bit more expensive but the ram is good and their online tool still accounts for PowerPC Macs.

However, the last time I got ram from them was some time in 2008-2009 so it's been six years.

Lol I still cannot believe how long ago 2009 was. At that time, browsing the web on my 667 MHz Ti was comfortable and completely doable. I would like to find some RAM to make it better. Here is a cheap set of 1GB 1GB (512MB x 2) SDRAM PC133 LAPTOP Memory Module (144-pin SODIMM, 133MHz) Genuine A-Tech Brand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9KY1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OUecvb0P8V18E
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9KY1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OUecvb0P8V18E. I am more than willing to pay that price for some cheap ram

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lol I still cannot believe how long ago 2009 was. At that time, browsing the web on my 667 MHz Ti was comfortable and completely doable. I would like to find some RAM to make it better.
Yeah, I'm sorry. Just checked Crucial and while they still have the tool they no longer seem to be carrying the ram.

Looks like it's an eBay thing or finding somebody else on line. I do have two old sticks for my TiBook, but they are 2x256 to make 512. My son has the updated ram for his TiBook.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah, I'm sorry. Just checked Crucial and while they still have the tool they no longer seem to be carrying the ram.

Looks like it's an eBay thing or finding somebody else on line. I do have two old sticks for my TiBook, but they are 2x256 to make 512. My son has the updated ram for his TiBook.

I just edited my post above, but here is an Amazon link for cheapo ram: 1GB (512MB x 2) SDRAM PC133 LAPTOP Memory Module (144-pin SODIMM, 133MHz) Genuine A-Tech Brand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9KY1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OUecvb0P8V18E
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9KY1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OUecvb0P8V18E
fa25e53b03072c0b6d184060fba62eac.jpg

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I just edited my post above, but here is an Amazon link for cheapo ram: 1GB (512MB x 2) SDRAM PC133 LAPTOP Memory Module (144-pin SODIMM, 133MHz) Genuine A-Tech Brand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9KY1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OUecvb0P8V18E
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9KY1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OUecvb0P8V18EImage

This will work in a 1Ghz TiBook?

When they say the RAM has x number of pins what is that referring to? Doesn't the TiBook have 204? Explain to me like I'm 5 please.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You should be good to go with that RAM. I've used similar in all my TiBooks.

144 pins is the standard for PC-66/100/133 SD-RAM SO-DIMMs(desktop modules in these speeds are usually 168).

It will work. I have 4 TiBooks and have used nearly identical RAM to upgrade all of them to 1gb(each).

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
You should be good to go with that RAM. I've used similar in all my TiBooks.

144 pins is the standard for PC-66/100/133 SD-RAM SO-DIMMs(desktop modules in these speeds are usually 168).

It will work. I have 4 TiBooks and have used nearly identical RAM to upgrade all of them to 1gb(each).

Thanks for the confirmation, I've been on a bit of an Amazon spree. Now its a tossup between RAM and a Eno hammock (which I'd hang in my room).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks or so, there are plenty of cheap sodimms on eBay shippped from China

For example, this pair comes out at about $10 or so.

These have low density chips onboard, although the TiBooks are not fussy about those. Just check reviews before settling on a vendor. Some are quicker than others. Mine have ranged from 10 days to 7 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.