Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trent98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro model# A1278 (9,2) with 10GB RAM and a 1TB HDD which currently has windows 8.1 on it, I am attempting to install a Hackintosh copy of Yosemite on it but it gets stuck on stock Apple logo on first boot from USB but works fine in VMware, it even shows Hackintosh boot logo. Am I doing something wrong?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why install a hackinstoch (read hacked) version of yosemite when all you need is the actually copy of OS X?

Hackintosh copies of OSX have special boot loaders and kexts (some of which are specific to certain motherboards). Just get the actual vanilla, genuine version of OS X.

trent98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for the reply but my mac didn't come with an install DVD and I would rather not have to re-download OSX because I already have a Hackintosh ISO if you have a way for me to get it installed it would be greatly appreciated.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the reply but my mac didn't come with an install DVD and I would rather not have to re-download OSX because I already have a Hackintosh ISO if you have a way for me to get it installed it would be greatly appreciated.

OS X modified for a Hackintosh simply isn't going to work on an actual Mac. You're going to have to download a clean copy from the App Store while in OS X and make a bootable flash drive or install disk.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Even if you were able to get the Hackintosh version to install and run, if you encounter any problems you won't know what is causing the issue. Like the others are telling you, download the official version for the Mac App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.