Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of OS X Yosemite to developers and public beta testers, almost a month after seeding the first OS X 10.10.3 beta and just days after releasing the third beta to developers.

Today's beta appears to be nearly identical to the third 10.10.3 beta released last week, but it appears to solve a problem that prevented beta 3 from working with the new 2015 Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

The new beta, build 14D105g, is available for registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Dev Center.

10_10_3_14d105g-800x277.jpg
Earlier betas of OS X 10.10.3 have brought several new features to Yosemite, including the new Photos for OS X app. Designed to integrate with iCloud Photo Library, Photos for OS X is a replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture and is on track to see an early 2015 public launch. Reviews have suggested that while Photos is a suitable replacement for iPhoto, with more advanced tools and performance optimizations, it may leave professional users disappointed.

Along with the new Photos for OS X app, the first three OS X 10.10.3 betas introduced a redesigned emoji picker that consolidates emoji into a single page with clear labels, new diversified emoji and emoji skin tone modifiers, new flag emoji and updated emoji for the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch. There's also support for Google 2-step verification when setting up accounts in System Preferences, Force Touch APIs for developers, and new data sources for the "Look Up" feature.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite Beta to Developers, Public Beta Testers

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I always enjoy reading the richly detailed descriptions from Apple of what's new/different in beta updates. Highly enlightening stuff.

phentex

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
I seriously hope the enhancements to emojis is the joke part part of the update.
I've been having so many countless problems, lags, slowdowns, UI glitches and battery drains since yosemite (clean install on top-en mid2014 rMBP15"), I sincerely hope all their taskforce isn't going into stupid smiley redesign...

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Well, here goes nothing on Public Beta. Mid-2014 15.4" rMBP w/ nVidia graphics, 1.47 GB, had no major issues on PB1, so here's hoping...

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Just in time. I bought a new rMBP and restored from Time Machine Capsule backup. The OS did not migrate over which meant no Photos app. No way to re-download. I tried.

Haven't really had any problems that's why I'm willing to run it on my new machine.

RavynArcadia

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I hope this will fix the issue that popped up with the battle.net app.
After the third beta the app says the agent wants to make changes. Type your password to allow. Of course multiple windows pop up.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
OSX 10.10.2 is doing fairly well on my 2011 iMac with SSD. Wifi problems are mostly fixed for me.

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
The last beta fixed a problem I was having with Parallels and Windows 8.1 network sharing. I say it fixed it because everything I tried did not work until the last OS X beta. This was my problem.

I would start my Windows 8.1 VM and then within the Windows 8.1 session I would try to start my VPN and it would fail to connect. As soon as the last OS X beta came out, that was the first thing I tested and now it is working.

So, makes me want to just run off of that beta for ever..... :)

Anyone else experience a similar problem? Hope I explained it well enough.

And I'm sure knowing me I can't resist and will load this beta later this evening.

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver
Hope this fixes the annoying bug where Finder doesn't open when you click it from the dock

This bothered me for a while, then read about how people deleted the finder plist file and it worked.

I did it in terminal which finally worked over just dragging to the trash.

sudo rm - R /Users/**your_username***/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Then do a restart right after!

LeoNatan

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
apple still hasn't fixed the 3-finger-tap and freezes the keyboard
This happens due to bug in look up feature. A workaround, delete/rename the storyboard mentioned in the crash report and it word look up will once again work. Make sure to open bug report.

terencedriver

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
WiFi.

If Apple *still* can't fix it. After months of being broken. On premium hardware and software.

Then they are either incredibly incompetent or arrogant.

Incompetent because with all that huge cash pile that can't get this right when others with me control like Linux and even Windows can.

Arrogant because they'd rather invest in emojis. While people who paid over the odds for computers that need for work and daily life end up with a shiny brick.

Even my cheap netbook WiFi works.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I quit running the public beta after my home directory completely disappeared several hours after I logged out and left one evening. I've never run into anything like that before!

Ultimately nothing was lost but my time, since the machine backs up regularly (this also helped me determine what time the home directory disappeared). But it's a good reminder of why you back things up, and why you need to be sure you're comfortable running beta software. Ultimately I decided my time was worth more to me than the small thrill of trying out new software. Heck, after this experience I'll probably hold off updating after the release for a few weeks, just to be sure...

(yes I did submit a bug report after this happened)

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Trust this Website??

Has it been fixed yet? God it’s annoying to have to keep trusting the same bloody website, (sometimes within the same browsing session).

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I quit running the public beta after my home directory completely disappeared several hours after I logged out and left one evening. I've never run into anything like that before!

Ultimately nothing was lost but my time, since the machine backs up regularly (this also helped me determine what time the home directory disappeared). But it's a good reminder of why you back things up, and why you need to be sure you're comfortable running beta software. Ultimately I decided my time was worth more to me than the small thrill of trying out new software. Heck, after this experience I'll probably hold off updating after the release for a few weeks, just to be sure...

(yes I did submit a bug report after this happened)

Did you consider running the beta software on a separate partition instead of your main partition where the official OS X software is installed? Delete the partition containing the beta sofware when your are done.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I seriously hope the enhancements to emojis is the joke part part of the update.
I've been having so many countless problems, lags, slowdowns, UI glitches and battery drains since yosemite (clean install on top-en mid2014 rMBP15"), I sincerely hope all their taskforce isn't going into stupid smiley redesign...

Didn't you hear?

They assigned all of their engineers and designers to the emoji diversification project

Even Tim Cook has been laser focused on these emoji's

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
WiFi.

If Apple *still* can't fix it. After months of being broken. On premium hardware and software.

Then they are either incredibly incompetent or arrogant.

Incompetent because with all that huge cash pile that can't get this right when others with me control like Linux and even Windows can.

Arrogant because they'd rather invest in emojis. While people who paid over the odds for computers that need for work and daily life end up with a shiny brick.

Even my cheap netbook WiFi works.

Downgrade wifi kext to a 7.0 version. Worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.