Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today notified its employees about a new volunteer program that it's launching, which is designed to encourage Apple employees in select locations to volunteer in their local communities.

Under the new Apple Global Volunteer Program, Apple is offering employees a way to receive training and tools to help them create and publicize local volunteer events to better their communities. The program, currently available in the United States, Sydney, and Cork, also aims to help employees find activities to volunteer for.

apple_retail_employees.jpg
Since its launch in 2011, the Apple Matching Gifts Program has been an astounding success, with a combined total of over $78 million donated to charities and non-profits around the world. Now employees in the U.S. have a new way to make an even bigger impact on the causes they care about where they live: the Apple Global Volunteer Program. The program empowers employees to become Volunteer Champions and receive training and tools to help organize and publicize volunteer events in their communities. It also makes it easy for employees to find activities where they can volunteer their time and qualify for Matching Gifts. Right now we're piloting the program in the U.S., Sydney, and Cork with the goal of expanding it worldwide in the future.
The launch of the Apple Global Volunteer Program comes just months after Apple made efforts to expand employee benefit packages under the direction Denise Young Smith, who took over as head of human resources at Apple early last year. Improved benefits included more maternity/paternity leave for parents, educational reimbursements, and an expansion of Apple's long-running donation matching program.

Apple's Matching Gifts Program [PDF] has existed since 2011, seeing the company match the money its employees contribute to charities (up to $10,000 per employee per year), but with the expansion, Apple also began matching time volunteered. As of October 2014, Apple donates $25 per hour to any non-profit where an employee volunteers.

As stated in the memo sent to employees, Apple's charitable efforts have thus far raised a combined total of $78 million for charities and non-profit organizations around the world.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Global Volunteer Program' to Encourage Employees to Volunteer in Local Communities

hrMACnstuff

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
would someone please burn some incense?

kumbaya my lord, kumbaya....
and yet they told the sapphire glass company to take the deal. lol.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Good thing they are being asked to volunteer in their "local communities."

It would be a real burden if they were asked to volunteer in communities thousands of miles away from where they lived. :D

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Or they could just reduce their massive and ethically incomprehensible tax avoidance, which would pump money into communities commensurate with the amount of money they make out of those communities and act as a shining example for all the other multinationals that take the piss as well.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Does anyone know if there is an Apple internal "approved charity list" or does any local jurisdiction non-profit qualify?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Does anyone know if there is an Apple internal "approved charity list" or does any local jurisdiction non-profit qualify?

Presumably any charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the tax code would qualify.

----------

It's things like this that make me think I'd hate to work for Apple.

And it's also why you'd probably never get a job there.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Presumably any charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the tax code would qualify.

I hope so. As long as there is no "PC Filter" on what charity qualifies or not, I'm fine with this. Love to see several Scouting leaders that work at Apple move that $10K to their local Troops and Packs.

----------

"volunteer" forced labor?

There is no requirement to do volunteer work. They only back you up fiscally if you do participate.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Or they could just reduce their massive and ethically incomprehensible tax avoidance, which would pump money into communities commensurate with the amount of money they make out of those communities and act as a shining example for all the other multinationals that take the piss as well.

eh, tell us more about how government spending does more than private charity

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
The program, currently available in the United States, Sydney, and Cork, also aims to help employees find activities to volunteer for.

USA Population 300,000,000
Sydney Population 4,500,000
Cork 500,000

Odd collection

----------

eh, tell us more about how government spending does more than private charity

You are avoiding facing his point.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
USA Population 300,000,000
Sydney Population 4,500,000
Cork 500,000

Odd collection

It is an odd selection. The letter U in USA is next to letter S in Sydney, but quite far from C in Cork.

Of course I was being absurd. Anything can be odd if you look at it with a certain preconceived notion. Perhaps Apple is trying different population sizes to see if there are issues to address based on the size? Or perhaps the size of the population has nothing to do with the selection. May be they just want different geographical locations.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
"volunteer" forced labor?
The company I work for requires every employee to do 32 hours of volunteer work each year. But they pay us for the 32 hours.

I hated the idea when they first suggested it. I'm on salary, and my workload isn't reduced. It's all waiting for me when I get back from my volunteer day.

On the other hand, I got to pick the charity. I enjoy my volunteer days, and the people I've met when I'm there. I do more than the minimum, now.

KazuSnow

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Canada (Australian)
not like you have any iOS bugs to fix or anything.

Increase your education.
"...Apple today notified its employees about a new volunteer program that it's launching, which is designed to encourage Apple employees in select locations to volunteer in their local communities.."

One could disseminate from this that they are not sending out their IOS employees, they are sending out their store staff employees.

Ask any store staff employee in your local apple store how much of the IOS code they have written and I can suggest to you that all of them will say none.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Model Rockets for Schools and Groups

Small
Local
Young

Model rocketry is a tool to enlighten students and group members to the basic concepts of science, such as math, physics, ballistics, mechanical engineering, pyrotechnics, safety, procedures, software, and team building. The fact it is exciting to do, distracts the users from realizing just how much they are actually learning!

Small: Very low cost. Each individual is personally impacted and trained in a small group setting. The activity has proven to be sticky over a lifetime and to subsequent generations.

Local: Model rocketry is conducted in school and park yards to launch them, and in a classroom or room setting to prepare for launch day. Homework is practical, but a group experience is suggested.

Young: The target age to begin is 9 and up, so 5th and 6th grades are the typical modal start age. However participants of all ages can participate in the program. That includes ages 7-55+.

The typical cost for a starting program per individual is about $40 all-in. So a $100,000 investment in the concept funds approximately 2500 users. That includes leaders and assistants. That includes a reusable rocket, two single use solid rocket motors, use of launch pads, and access to supplies.

Additional flights at some additional cost as requested.

Rocketman

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.