Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in talks with programmers including CBS, 21st Century Fox and Walt Disney to launch a subscription-based streaming TV service this fall, according to The Wall Street Journal. The report, citing sources familiar with the matter, claims that the service would have about 25 channels, cost between $30 to $40 per month and be available on iPad, iPhone and Apple TV. The service is said to debut at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June ahead of a September launch in the United States.

appletv-500x333.jpg

Apple's web-based TV service will reportedly deliver a lightweight package anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, ESPN and FX, but will not include smaller channels typically included in a standard cable TV package. The report adds that NBCUniversal content could be notably absent due to a falling-out between Apple and NBC parent company Comcast. The two sides were allegedly in negotiations as recently as last year, although Apple believed that Comcast was too focused on its own X1 set-top box for web-based streaming.
BREAKING: Apple in talks to launch online TV service in the fall with about 25 channels, featuring ABC, CBS and FOX networks - WSJ - CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) March 17, 2015
Apple has been rumored to be working on a subscription-based TV service since at least 2009, when it was reported that CBS and Walt Disney were considering participating in the web-based service. A similar report surfaced in early 2012, claiming that Apple was pushing ahead with its TV service in time for a potential launch by Christmas. The Wall Street Journal provided further details about the service later in 2012, but the plans have yet to materialize nearly three years since.

Rumors surrounding Apple's much-rumored TV service gained momentum again last month when Re/code reported that Apple was in talks with television programmers over deals that would see the company offer a web-based TV service. Such a service would potentially allow Apple to deliver customized television packages that would be streamed over the Internet across iOS devices, providing access to a bundle of channels from participating content providers. The recent announcement of HBO Now also supports rumors that Apple is interested in streaming TV content.

Article Link: Apple Planning to Launch Streaming TV Service Featuring ABC, CBS, Fox and More

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I hope this isn't what Steve Jobs meant when he said he cracked the code for TV.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So why would I want this over DirecTV? It seems like nothing more than s slimmed down cable package.

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
4k!!!

WSJ reporting that the service will stream 4K to upcoming new Apple TV!!! H.265 decoding in hardware.

This may be big competition for Netflix.

We'll finally be able to watch something in 4K other than the same GoPro videos over and over.

illinirazorback

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
I think this could be a big thing. Sure there will probably be some channels not included at first, and people will complain. But if this takes off, especially if it cuts into cable/satellite subscriptions, the other channels will be begging to join in. Then, Apple has all the leverage.

Not many companies can pull this off. Just maybe Apple can.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Presumably cost; you can also do other things with your AppleTV that you can't do with your DirecTV box

I have an TV now. But I would never drop DirecTV until TV could support all live sports programming.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I'm about sick of every rumor involving the apple tv involves "this fall", meanwhile "this fall" never comes.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I hope this isn't what Steve Jobs meant when he said he cracked the code for TV.

It is generally understood that "cracked the code for TV" meant that he found a user interface paradigm that fits with streaming show viewing having it act as a complement using the internet interactively instead of making the viewer passive. This scares the control freaks at television networks.

With television network viewership steadily dropping ten-percent a year for the last few years, the days are numbered for the Sarnoff business model. In less than ten years, a television with a single channel taking up the whole screen for all use is history for most of American households.

Amazing that twenty-two years ago, AT&T did a series of commercials that nailed many of the existing broadband markets out there right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8

Look at 1:34 and it shows video on demand streaming services. Sure the UIs are a bit dated and they didn't show flat panels but boy was a lot of this spot on. The billions of dollars that in markets this commercial series generated. Glad I rode a few of these waves.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
As long as they have 60FPS streams, I'll be happy. I wonder how they'll handle local affiliates.

i doubt it, at least with this hardware. Only the NHL channel is able to stream
close to 60fps but it shutter a lot.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.