Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hello,

We have recently prepared an exhibition for a customer. The customer has asked us to use iPads to showcase the product sheets digitally.

The product information runs in an app.

However, the problem is that the customer has no sense of idea of how to use the iPads and put us in charge. Now, they bought two brand new iPads, which we were to set up in their name. Hence, I have created an Apple-ID for the customer to use as well as password info. I also chose the lock-code for the iPad.

I set up the iPads to only, and only run the dealer-app, using "Guided Access". The iPads were locked into the app. The iPads themselves were physically locked into vertical stands by the booth.

Now, apparently the iPad says "iPad is disabled. Connect to iTunes".

Surely, this has to be the result of someone deliberately trying to exit Guided Access and typing the password too many times? Right? Or could it be some kind of problem with iCloud? I verified both iPads by following the instructions from the mail received to the mail-adress used by Apple ID. However, one of the iPads show up as it should in iCloud e.g. "MacRazySwe's iPad" while the other one, which accidentally happens to be locked is called "Unknown_host" or something like that.

Now how can I solve this, short term and long term?

First of all, I don't have access to the iPads. They are briefly 2 hours of driving away from me. Secondly, they are not connected to iCloud apparently... So I cannot use any type of remote access.

I assume the only option is to travel there with a computer. When in place and connecting the iPad to the Mac - what do I do? Is my only option to completely wipe it and set it up as new? Any other options? I only set these up using the cloud, they were never connected to a computer. When prompted to connect to iTunes, can I use any computer I like?

Last but not least, once the iPads have been reset and then set up once again. What's the best way to avoid these problems again? I thought "Guided Access" would be smart enough to make sure these things do not happen.

We are probably going to remanufacture the iPad stands, so not to include access to either the home-button, or lock button. That should settle it right? The iPad is set to stay on forever, so we shouldn't need access to the home button, right?

However I'm sure that the app will crash eventually and then we won't be able to restart it... Then we'll have a different problem once again.

If anybody has experience of using iPads in public booths, please share your advice. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
At this point, yes, the only way to work this out is to connect the iPad to iTunes (preferably with the computer it was synced to in the first place), and restore, hopefully from a backup (you DID make a backup, right?). Assuming there is a backup, restoring over cable through iTunes should be pretty straightforward... how quick it is depends on how much data these iPads were filled up with.

This is not an iCloud problem. It's someone who tried bypassing parental controls and typed in the wrong passcode too many times.

There's only two solutions to this problem: the first option is, they need to have someone watch those iPads constantly, to ensure no one is trying to bypass parental controls. OR, option 2: this public exhibition needs to re-evaluate why they're using iPads to display information that I suspect an old fashioned glossy brochure could handle.

It's one thing to be all fancy if there are people AT the booth who know and understand the technology, and can respond immediately if someone tries to futz around with it. It's completely worthless to be so fancy though, if the people running the tech are clueless about it, and it "breaks" on them.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the exhibitors that did it, because they wanted to browse exhibitionersgonewild.com, and though one of the exhibition iPads would be great for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.