Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

becomingstevejobs.jpg
The upcoming book Becoming Steve Jobs, written by Brent Schlender, a reporter who interviewed Jobs several times throughout his life and became close to him, and Rick Tetzeli, executive editor at Fast Company, is set to be released on March 24. Ahead of time, the authors have shared a number of excerpts from the book that provide untold details about his life.

Apple CEO Tim Cook claims that Walter Isaacson's autobiography of Steve Jobs "did him a tremendous disservice," depicting the late Apple co-founder as "a greedy, selfish egomaniac." Cook added that Jobs certainly "wasn't a saint," but that "it's emphatically untrue that he wasn't a great human being." He believes that Jobs truly cared about things, but his passion was sometimes mistaken for arrogance.
"Steve cared," Cook continues. "He cared deeply about things. Yes, he was very passionate about things, and he wanted things to be perfect. And that was what was great about him. A lot of people mistook that passion for arrogance. He wasn't a saint. I'm not saying that. None of us are. But it's emphatically untrue that he wasn't a great human being, and that is totally not understood."
Even as his sickness progressed, Jobs continued working at Apple until his final days, and wanted others to treat him as if he were not sick. Cook claims that Jobs began thinking about a succession plan and life after Apple in 2004, and spent time working with Joel Podolny, a professor he hired from the Yale School of Management, on Apple University to pass on his methodologies to Apple's next generation of leaders.
"But as the days went on he would spend more time with me and with other people explaining why he thought or did something, or why he looked at something in a certain way. This was why he came up with Apple U., so we could train and educate the next generation of leaders by teaching them all we had been through, and how we had made the terrible decisions we made and also how we made the really good ones."
The book also details that Jobs worked closely with Norman Foster Architects on the design of Apple's Campus 2 in Cupertino, California, a spaceship-like headquarters under construction on the grounds of Hewlett-Packard's old campus. Jobs approached the design of the headquarters with the same principles he applied to the iPhone, iPad and everything else.
"Steve wanted people to love Apple," says Cook, "not just work for Apple, but really love Apple, and really understand at a very deep level what Apple was about, about the values of the company. He didn't write them on the walls and make posters out of them anymore, but he wanted people to understand them. He wanted people to work for a greater cause."
Cook reflected on August 11, 2011, the day that Jobs called him to his house and decided that he should be the next CEO at Apple. Cook, who had previously served at the helm of Apple during Steve's medical leaves in 2004 and 2009, was hesitant about taking the position at first, but believed that the best candidate had to come from within Apple to truly understand the culture of the company.
"If you believe that it's important to understand Apple's culture deeply, you wind up clicking to an internal candidate," explains Cook. "If I were leaving this afternoon I'd recommend an inside candidate, because I don't think there's any way somebody could come in and understand the complexity of what we do and really get the culture in that deep way. And I think Steve knew that it also needed to be somebody that believed in the Beatles concept. [Jobs believed that the Fab Four brought out the best in one another--and moderated any individual's excesses.] Apple would not be served well to have a CEO who wanted to or felt like they needed to replace him precisely. I don't think there is such a person, but you could envision people trying. He knew that I would never be so dumb as to do that, or even feel that I needed to do that."
Jobs passed away in October 2011 following a lengthy battle with a rare form of pancreatic cancer. The excerpts above were adapted from Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Revolutionary Leader, which will be available in hardcover on Amazon for $18 on March 24. Apple executive Eddy Cue described the book as "well done" and the "first to get it right" earlier this week.

Article Link: 'Becoming Steve Jobs' Excerpts: Friendship With Tim Cook, Campus 2 and Succession at Apple

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
To me, this sounds like a much better and more interesting book.

Was not a fan of Isaacson's book at all really.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
It looks like a good book, seems to be much better perspective of Steve Jobs (based on this minimal excerpt) rather then the Isaacson's book.

this is a good one :

He wasn't a saint. I'm not saying that. None of us are. But it's emphatically untrue that he wasn't a great human being, and that is totally not understood.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Just pre-ordered on Amazon ... Will deliver on the 24th (same as the release date). Seems like a decent price.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

Isaacson's book was an entertaining read, just as the Ashton Kutcher film was entertaining viewing—but neither were particularly good. They were lazy retellings of a fascinating story. Isaacson borrowed great slabs of information from other sources (and messed up some pretty basic technical details in the process).

This book does indeed sound far more interesting. Didn't think I needed to read another book about Steve Jobs, but after all these teasers I'm looking forward to it!

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I'm afraid I won't have any money on the 24th :)

Still, this looks like a good read, and I'll have to check it out.

----------

"He wanted things to be perfect."

Good thing he hasn't witnessed the last several years.

He didn't get things perfect when he was alive. But he strove for perfection, even among his missteps. That's what Apple continues to attempt, even among its own missteps.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

This is what Jony Ive said of Isaacson's book. Ouch.

Ive said that he’d read only parts of the book, but had seen enough to dislike it, for what he called inaccuracies. “My regard couldn’t be any lower,” he said, with unusual heat.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Isaacson's book was an entertaining read, just as the Ashton Kutcher film was entertaining viewing—but neither were particularly good. They were lazy retellings of a fascinating story. Isaacson borrowed great slabs of information from other sources (and messed up some pretty basic technical details in the process).

This book does indeed sound far more interesting. Didn't think I needed to read another book about Steve Jobs, but after all these teasers I'm looking forward to it!

I think Isaacson's book wasn't even entertaining. It came off as a disjoint collection of anecdotes to me. And, as you say, weakly told ones. Since it was a biography, it's seems completely fine to me that much of the information came from other sources. The more sources, the better, I would think (well, credible, corroborated sources.) it seemed to me it utterly failed to put Jobs in context or highlight why he was special, as if there was no real reason for the biography in the first place. (That is, it could have been a baisc vanity biography of any CEO of any company, except that the author wasn't fawning.)

Anyway, this one does sound a lot better.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
He didn't get things perfect when he was alive. But he strove for perfection, even among his missteps. That's what Apple continues to attempt, even among its own missteps.
With a chief designer who can't be told when his ideas are flawed, and a product line that's fragmenting back towards the dark days of the 90s? If that qualifies at an "attempt" they're definitely phoning it in.

As for the book and Isaacson's biography, it doesn't matter much what people write nowadays. People have already formed their opinion of the man. As others have already stated, the truth is most likely somewhere in the middle.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

I read Isaacson's version. I thought it had a lot of insight. But I agree that having multiple insights from multiple perspectives will deepen our undertanding of Jobs.

I just hope that we dont start to sugar coat his negative side (something everyone has and is part of understanding the complexities of anyone)

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I think I've had enough of every Steve Jobs biopic. No offense intended.
He was great man with brilliant ideas... these biopics are verging on corny.
It's just enough already.
IMO

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.