Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Filming has progressed on the upcoming Steve Jobs movie starring Michael Fassbender, and a few weeks ago, film crews were spotted at the San Francisco Opera House. As of yesterday, hundreds of extras were hired to take part in a scene and a few photos leaked, giving us details on what's being filmed at the location.

The scene being filmed in the Opera House appears to be the 1988 unveiling of the NeXT Computer, the first computer developed by Steve Jobs after he left Apple. A movie prop poster hung on one of the walls in the Opera House depicts Michael Fassbender as Jobs, posing with the NeXT Computer, which was often referred to as "The Cube" due to its shape.

michaelfassbenderjobs1.jpg
Image via Instagram user seannung
Back in 1988, the unveiling of the NeXT Computer took place at the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco, which is located across the street from the Opera House. It is not clear why filming is taking place at the Opera Hall, but scenes will also be filmed at the Symphony Hall, according to reports. Filming in the area will continue until April.

Steve Jobs' NeXT event was a huge gala and it marked the first time Jobs had appeared in public in many years. Descriptions of the event called it a showy affair with "all the subtlety of a Hollywood premiere." Jobs himself was described as working the crowd "like an entertainer."

In addition to being spotted in a promotional poster, Fassbender also had his photo snapped outside the Opera Hall by a fan, still dressed in his Steve Jobs garb. At that time, Jobs favored a simple white button down shirt and dress pants, which is what Fassbender wears in the image.

michaelfassbenderstevejobs2.jpg
Image via Instagram user raqu31
The Steve Jobs movie starring Michael Fassbender as Jobs and Seth Rogen as Wozniak was penned by Aaron Sorkin and is being directed by Danny Boyle. Jeff Daniels, Kate Winslet, and Katherine Waterston all have roles in the film. The movie is set to be released in theaters on Friday, October 9, 2015.

Article Link: Michael Fassbender Depicted as Steve Jobs in New Movie Set Poster

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Not sure how he looks even remotely like Steve Jobs... but if he plays the part well, I guess it doesn't matter. We shall see!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
still not feelin it... Fassbender is a good actor imo, but this is not the right part for him.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I don't see it at all. Hopefully he can act the part since he doesn't look it.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Sorry. Emotionally, there is zero connection for me. It feels like he isn't even trying to be Jobs. All I can say is Fassbender better damned well have the nuances and inflections and body language down to a science.

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
I'm sure it will be a great movie...but man, he looks (and sounds) nothing like Steve. Quite the opposite, actually. Also, I would've preferred David Fincher to Danny Boyle...his directorial style fits Sorkin's writing style better I think.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Fassbender is a great actor. Love him.

But he looks absolutely nothing like Steve! Even Ashton Kutcher was more believable.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
He just doesn't look like Steve Jobs at all. When I look at the picture, there's not even the slightest feeling that it might depict Steve Jobs. Maybe he carries the character with his acting. Maybe that's enough suspension of disbelief.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
They really need to just stop trying to make movies about him.

Shouldn't Fassbender be making a new X-Men instead? :D

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
He should be playing Michael Dell in the Michael Dell movie! It would be a much better fit.

dell-book.gif

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
He should be playing Michael Dell in the Michael Dell movie! It would be a much better fit.

I think Favreau has that one down.

But WTF? Unless they want a scene where Jobs elevates a hammer using magentic forces in the 1984 commercial, I don't see the point of fasbender. It looks like he's not even trying.

jon_favreau_image__2_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.