Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hello everyone,

I just went by the Verizon Wireless and the Sales Rep had stated that unlimited data for the grandfathered users for going away in the next fiver months. Is this really true or was she just lying to me? I've looked everywhere on the internet and I have yet to see anything about their ending the unlimited data for the people that have the grandfathered plans.

Thank you

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
False. I work in wireless myself and we get constant emails/updates on any plan changes/promos from carriers and that's one I haven't heard. She probably told you that to get you away from the unlimited plan. The only way to keep it these days is to buy the phone outright.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
False. I work in wireless myself and we get constant emails/updates on any plan changes/promos from carriers and that's one I haven't heard. She probably told you that to get you away from the unlimited plan. The only way to keep it these days is to buy the phone outright.

Thanks

----------

You're right about having to buy the phone outright to keep
The unlimited data.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A bunch of bull. Its going no where. Scare tactic for you to switch from your UDP.
Probably won't go anywhere at least not for some time, but it doesn't mean that Verizon can't do something to essentially get rid of it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Some people have a bad habit of presenting their opinions about what they *believe* will happen as fact. Sounds like the rep you talked to did that.

VO2Max

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
The only way to keep it these days is to buy the phone outright.

False. My wife has a grandfathered UDP and I'm on a 2GB plan. When the 6 came out I was eligible for an upgrade so I upgraded to the 6 on my line then swapped the phone to her line (she had a 4) and I kept my 5 with a new 2 year contract. Just paid the $200 subsidized price for the 6. We don't need new phones every 2 years, so we are essentially on a 4 year plan. So when the 7 comes out, it's my turn for a new phone.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. :)

i've heard that they are stopping AOL on lines with UDP because the iPhone 6 launch glitch? is that true????

----------

from my understanding, verizon, with ATT, are trying to get rid of unlimited plans for a long time, they put lots of restrictions on it. but i don't think they will just cut everyone off. There isn't much UDP owners left and the number of owners only gets fewer. so it would cost them more to cut everyone off then just let them have it and paying some extra for buying new phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.