Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mewsie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Hi all,

Hoping for some experience or advice here!

My MBA refused to turn on in December, called AppleCare but it's out of support, but dropped it into an approved dealer for them to diagnose and repair.

They removed and replaced the logic board and the machine came to life, but I was reluctant to spend the £500 and ended up using my MBP for a while.

Called up the store a week ago to give them the go-ahead for the repair, and they tried the machine (now with its original logic board) and it booted fine.

Collected the machine (very pleased) tested it, and sure enough it booted.

However, since getting it home, it only boots some of the time, and when it does, it will turn itself off with no warning. Occasionally on booting I only get half a chime before it turns off again.

Any thoughts?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
What standard troubelshooting have you done so far? Repairs, resets, reinstalls?

mewsie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
I haven't!

Any you can recommend?

The issue is such that for the most part the machine won't power on (and when it does, not for long!), and as the store only tried swapping the logic board which appeared to work... my guess is they did no real testing either.

Would be glad of some suggestions.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I haven't!

Any you can recommend?

The issue is such that for the most part the machine won't power on (and when it does, not for long!), and as the store only tried swapping the logic board which appeared to work... my guess is they did no real testing either.

Would be glad of some suggestions.
Perform a backup.

Reset pram.

Repair disk permissions.

Reinstall the OS.

Test the macbook for a while without restoring from backup.

mewsie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
It would help if you would include the model of MacBook Air for which you're inquiring.

Cheers both!

Meister, I'll test those this weekend, and if that doesn't get me anywhere I will pop back in with some more details on the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.