Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Swiss luxury watch maker TAG Heuer on Thursday at the Baselworld watch convention in Switzerland announced that it is partnering with Google and Intel to create a connected smartwatch. TAG Heuer will be responsible for designing and manufacturing the watch, which will have an Intel microprocessor and use Google's Android Wear platform. The smartwatch will be released later this year, at which point specific pricing and features will be revealed.

TAG-Heuer-Carrera-800x414.jpg
TAG Heuer's Carrera contemporary luxury sport watch
TAG Heuer has high expectations for its upcoming smartwatch, with CEO Jean-Claude Biver calling it his "biggest announcement ever" in 40 years of working in the industry. The executive also predicted that the product will be the "greatest connected watch" available, just weeks before the Apple Watch is released. "The difference between the TAG Heuer watch and the Apple Watch is very important," Biver said. "That one is called Apple and this one is called TAG Heuer."

TAG Heuer joins Swatch, Breitling, Montblanc and Frederique Constant as one of several Swiss watch makers bringing electronic features to the wrist to compete with the Apple Watch and other connected smartwatches. TAG is the first traditional watchmaker to partner with Google, however, opening the doors for more Swiss luxury watch makers under parent company LVMH, including Hublot and Zenith, to collaborate with Silicon Valley on the next generation of wrist-worn devices.

Article Link: Tag Heuer Partnering With Google and Intel to Build Connected Smartwatch

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Don't think rich folks would like Google tracking their every move.

The round watch photo is probably not the final product. I suspect they'll abandon the round Android watch "design" and go with the square with rounded corner is obvious for a smartwatch excuse.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
But, but... I thought there "wasn't a market for a high-end luxury smartwatch."

"It's... It's just a piece of technology that will be outdated in a year! Who would buy something like that anyway? That's not an investment!"

-Sincerely, all the MacRumors naysayers.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Risky strategy if they only intend to focus on Android! Surprises me that Tag seem to be tying themselves to Android only....bad move in my opinion. If you want to compete with all smart watches then multiplatform is the way to do so.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

"It's... It's just a piece of technology that will be outdated in a year! Who would buy something like that anyway? That's not an investment!"

Those are still valid just because Tag is making one doesn't change anything.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
A very nice looking watch with a very crappy operating system is still a piece of crap in my book. Apple's software is what will make all the difference.

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Lemmings... Mee too! Mee too!

Listen, after watching the Apple keynote and what they're doing, Apple has a clear go-to market for the watch and they'll do very well. Just because you can make a smartwatch doesn't mean it will gain any traction.

Samsung has made no less than 4 models and nothing....

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Tag Heuer Partnering With Google and Intel to Build Connected Smartwatch

Remember, this is also TAG Heuer. FAR from a high-end anything in the watch world. Aside from a model or two that still have ties to their heritage that used to make them desirable watches, they have been insignificant for years. More or less just fashion watches for Maybe a decade or three now. Not sought after watches by "watch nuts" in any way, shape, or form. They have to grasp at straws to stay relevant. This is not an indicator that the "high end Swiss watch" world is panic reacting to the Apple Watch. When you see movement in AP, PP, Rolex/Tudor, Panerai, then you'll know the "high end" Swiss watch world views it as a threat.

Last edited:

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Don't think rich folks would like Google tracking their every move.

I have that problem with Google, all of the sudden what I post on Youtube is all over the web in many places I didn't know. Forget about privacy.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
It seems the team at Tag is taking management courses from the same coaches who handle Qualcomm.

Step 1. Watch Apple do something.
Step 2. Make a statement to undermine another company's initiative, dismissing it as dumb, a gimmick, or not necessary.
Step 3. Scramble an engineering team to cobble together a mock-up of Apple's initiative.
Step 4. Release information where you describe your cobbled-together initiative copy as a better version than Apple did, and then pretend no one noticed you were caught flat-footed.

Also, let's be honest. TAG isn't a super exclusive luxury thing. They have kiosks and stores in the mall, so they can't really be sniffing at Apple as if they are somehow better.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Interesting

to see how they run to Intel and Google (curious to see Microsoft missing from this equation) instead of rolling their own.

I'll be interested to see how it eventually shakes out. My guess is that the pattern will be similar to the PC industry, where Intel/Android wearables proliferate everywhere, but they'll all stink compared to those who create their own kit from the ground up.

Mac-Donald

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
"The difference between the TAG Heuer watch and the Apple Watch is very important" one is a leader, the other is a follower. One is entering a market through innovation and the other is reacting out of sheer panic. One is constantly innovating and creating new industry sectors whilst the other has been riding off it's good name for years. One is a tech company entering a tech sector and the other is a fashion brand entering a tech sector. Many differences, we'll see who ends up taking lions share of profits.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
As far as my knowledge goes, traditional mechanical watchmakers are not at all frightened by the apple watch to take on their 10000€ and above market. But the Quartz- watchmakers do fear the competition because the much lower price point of roughly 1000€ and below. Maybe TAG Heuer sees a new opportunity to spread its brand name.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I don't know about this one but every other android wear looked great as renderings but crappy in real life photos (except maybe the moto 360).

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I agree with the earlier comment that TAG isn't exactly a high quality name in the watch world, but it's amusing to see all the commenters here dismiss this as a copy cat move from TAG, as if Apple is some sort of watch expert (they aren't).

Quite frankly, I think they're all bad ideas.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
As far as my knowledge goes, traditional mechanical watchmakers are not at all frightened by the apple watch to take on their 10000€ and above market. But the Quartz- watchmakers do fear the competition because the much lower price point of roughly 1000€ and below. Maybe TAG Heuer sees a new opportunity to spread its brand name.

Yes. This is what I was more or less saying in my post above.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Lemmings... Mee too! Mee too!

It makes me wonder what's next...

Pretty much every company has made computers, MP3 players, phones, tablets... and now watches seem to be the current trend.

My guess is augmented reality and virtual reality which are just in the beginning stages.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
You can love or hate Apple .... but I think everyone has to admit that Apple manages it with every 'category' they touch to bring that industry into motion. Even if you don't like Apple, that is a good thing.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
If you are a current Android smartwatch manufacturer, how does it make you feel to have Google run off and play around with Tag Heuer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.