Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Now I've got a G4 667 Powerbook as my OS 9 tinkertoy, my iMac G3 can go on to different duties...
Installed with Tiger and Spotify, ethernet connected and running without a keyboard or mouse, I control it with my Android phone via VNC over Wifi.

Under System Preferences I have Remote Desktop activated with VNC option, so there wasn't even any extra software to install and as iMacs have punchy speakers it runs great :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 126

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Alright. This is maybe the third time ive read up on VNC this week. Is it better then TeamViewer? I have 2 G3 imacs and perhaps i can do this aswell. And anyone know if VNC is iphone friendly? ;)

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Really cool I need to try this. Also, can you provide a download link for Spotify on the G3? I have a PowerBook G3 and I cant find a version for it. Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Alright. This is maybe the third time ive read up on VNC this week. Is it better then TeamViewer? I have 2 G3 imacs and perhaps i can do this aswell. And anyone know if VNC is iphone friendly? ;)
VNC itself is a protocol.

Default Apple Screen Sharing uses the VNC protocol. There are dozens of PowerPC and Universal apps out there that do VNC, both servers and clients.

TeamViewer<>VNC. Is an Apple better than an Orange? Or an Orange better than an Apple?

Both TeamViewer and VNC operate on the same principles, but the major difference is that TeamViewer will let you access a Mac/PC over the internet without having to do anything specific to your network.

VNC operates off of IP addresses, Bonjour if you're using Apple's Screen Sharing. VNC over your own home network is no issue, but if you want to access your Mac outside of your home network you need to know the IP address of your modem and you need to open the appropriate ports and forward them in your router.

That's where TeamViewer has it over VNC.

Lastly, there are a number of VNC viewers for the iPhone/iPad in the App store. The protocol is the same.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Thanks so much! It worked and I'm using it right now. The speakers on those G3 PowerBooks are really good.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
VNC itself is a protocol.

Default Apple Screen Sharing uses the VNC protocol. There are dozens of PowerPC and Universal apps out there that do VNC, both servers and clients.

TeamViewer<>VNC. Is an Apple better than an Orange? Or an Orange better than an Apple?

Both TeamViewer and VNC operate on the same principles, but the major difference is that TeamViewer will let you access a Mac/PC over the internet without having to do anything specific to your network.

VNC operates off of IP addresses, Bonjour if you're using Apple's Screen Sharing. VNC over your own home network is no issue, but if you want to access your Mac outside of your home network you need to know the IP address of your modem and you need to open the appropriate ports and forward them in your router.

That's where TeamViewer has it over VNC.

Lastly, there are a number of VNC viewers for the iPhone/iPad in the App store. The protocol is the same.

Thanks for clearing this up... from what i remember there is a Tiger PPC version of Teamviewer. Ill stick to that. This is a terrific idea though. cant think of why i havnt though of it myself.... I have 2 G3's and both of them are on my top dresser shelf and used for music and one even for movies as the tangerine model came with a DVD Rom Drive. Love the machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.