Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to announce its next-generation Apple TV set-top box at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June, according to BuzzFeed News. The report, citing sources familiar with the plans, claims that the new Apple TV will be a "significant overhaul" of the streaming TV box, featuring both Siri and an App Store with an SDK available for developers to create apps.

product-product.jpg
The new Apple TV will feature Apple's latest A8 system-on-a-chip and a "dramatic increase" in internal storage, well beyond the 8GB included in the current third-generation set-top box. The addition of Siri will enable Apple TV owners to control a wide selection of HomeKit-enabled home automation devices through the set-top box, according to the report.

The new Apple TV will be part of Apple's ambitious plans to improve the TV experience, an area that iTunes chief Eddy Cue thinks "sucks" currently and Apple chief executive Tim Cook referred to as "stuck back in the 70s" in an interview with Charlie Rose last year. The new device will be Apple's attempt at capturing the digital living room through TV, music, apps and home automation amid a sea of competitors including Amazon, Google and Roku.

A refreshed Apple TV would make sense given reports that Apple is also planning to announce its oft-rumored streaming TV service at WWDC, anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and FX. The web-based TV service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and other devices is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for between $30 to $40 per month. Apple TV is also long overdue for a hardware refresh, with the set-top box last updated in 2012.

Article Link: Apple to Debut New A8-Based Apple TV Box With App Store and Siri at WWDC

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
At this point we have heard this rumor so many times it's the boy who cried wolf. If they are right this time it's purely luck and not inside info.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Great news if true and very long overdue, but we've heard this before a fair few times.... Fingers crossed though!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Grr. I want this now. My ATV2 is flaking out and I'm getting more used to the Kindle Fire Stick. However it doesn't have one app I really need MLS LIve.

Sigh.

B

OldManWithers

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Price

I wonder if the recent price drop to $69 will stay for the current model only, and one of these predicted new units will be higher?

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
forget the watch, this is exactly what I was waiting for and something people will actually use. AAPL is going to make a lot of $ with this.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wonder how much this will cost?

Not that I care. I would totally replace my two current (working great, by the way) for two with Siri capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.