Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a windows phone to play with win10. The other benefit is that it will be used by daughters. I'm not looking to replace my IP6+ but something to play with, enjoy and use from time to time. I can then let my daughters use it when the need arises, i.e., have a phone if they go out somewhere with their friends.

I'm looking at the Lumia 635 which I think will run win10 when it comes out.

The cost of the 635 is 48 bucks - its hard to pass that up as a family phone that might be needed from time to time.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
well if u want to get a complete experience of platform get 1520 ...might get on cheap at this point...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
well if u want to get a complete experience of platform get 1520 ...might get on cheap at this point...

That's a little more then I'm willing to pay for. The 1520 which is a great phone, and one that I'd like to have is selling around 500 to 300, on Amazon. On Swappa, its in the 200 dollar range.

The 635 on the other hand is selling for 48 dollars, if something happened because my daughters were not being careful or responsible, I much rather lose 48 dollars then 300 :). I'm not sure what other models are out there that might be better then the 635 but in a similar price point, i.e., under a hundred.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The new 640 looks like it's going to be a great handset though its still $150 so that's more than you were looking at.

But I think the quality & experience your after would likely be better served going up to that level.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
That's a little more then I'm willing to pay for. The 1520 which is a great phone, and one that I'd like to have is selling around 500 to 300, on Amazon. On Swappa, its in the 200 dollar range.

The 635 on the other hand is selling for 48 dollars, if something happened because my daughters were not being careful or responsible, I much rather lose 48 dollars then 300 :). I'm not sure what other models are out there that might be better then the 635 but in a similar price point, i.e., under a hundred.

You got it right. Stay with the 635 for ~$50. For what you are looking for, this is perfect.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
You got it right. Stay with the 635 for ~$50. For what you are looking for, this is perfect.

I'd try for the 735. 635 screen is dreadful. No NFC, no ambient light sensor, No Qi, awful camera, no LED flash. Pretty sure 735 has all of these.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

That's the thing about Windows phones... one can get a good experience with even the budget models. The 635 seems to be similar to the 520 that I have. I find the 520 to be excellent, the 635 should be even better.

If Windows Phone behaved better with Google services, I would've stayed with the 520 rather than an Android set.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Apparently you missed the part where he said he didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone?

I'm just saying because I don't feel the 635 offers good vfm. I have one and feel that it really comes across as a cheap phone and not in a good way like the moto g. It's soooo slow to open apps.
In the UK 735 is £150. Not sure on US price.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm just saying because I don't feel the 635 offers good vfm. I have one and feel that it really comes across as a cheap phone and not in a good way like the moto g. It's soooo slow to open apps.
In the UK 735 is £150. Not sure on US price.

150 quid is over $200. The 635 is a budget entry phone, but will have Win 10. His kids are likely to use it and if he doesn't like the OS or his kids break it, he is only out about £30.
Like I said, for his needs in this instance, it is perfect.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'd try for the 735. 635 screen is dreadful. No NFC, no ambient light sensor, No Qi, awful camera, no LED flash. Pretty sure 735 has all of these.

Amazon has the 735 for 289, this is well out of my price range. As I stated in the OP, I'm not looking for a replacement for my iPhone. I'm looking for a phone that can be used by my 9 year old daughters as a family phone. If they lose it or damage it, I'd rather be out 50 bucks then 300 bucks. Also, I'd like to see how win10 is and enjoy that experience as I've come to like the Windows Phones.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think a cheap 50 dollar gohphone fits better then a 300 dollar phone.

----------

I've now got a good bit of experience with the 635. If you want a cheap but solid goof-around phone, you really can't go wrong with it.

...and the WP10 Tech Preview is already available for it.

Thanks, I was seeing stuff like the preview was available in my research. I was looking at the 400 series windows phone as well but that looks too hamstrung, i.e., dual core vs. quad core, etc.

I think I'll place my order for the 635, and see how that it is :)

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Amazon has the 735 for 289, this is well out of my price range. As I stated in the OP, I'm not looking for a replacement for my iPhone. I'm looking for a phone that can be used by my 9 year old daughters as a family phone. If they lose it or damage it, I'd rather be out 50 bucks then 300 bucks. Also, I'd like to see how win10 is and enjoy that experience as I've come to like the Windows Phones.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think a cheap 50 dollar gohphone fits better then a 300 dollar phone.

Sorry, thought that it may be cheaper - things usually are your side of the pond. I was only saying as I own a 635 - bought it last year for just over £100. Wasn't quite the budget answer to WP that the Moto G was which was a shame because I love the hardware of the Lumia devices (my first was an 800 - such a nice phone). The price difference still isn't that huge in the UK between the two and the 735 seems to offer near flagship specs with just about all the WP features. I guess if you can get the 635 for 50 bucks it's a no brainer. Just be careful if you use a nano-micro sim adapter in it. I pulled the sim contact pins out in mine when I swapped my sim back into my iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.