Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Didn't stay up for long but Best Buy had Lightroom 6 for pre-order on their website a couple of days ago. All the remains is a thumbnail of the product as well as an SKU# (8236055):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/photoshop-lightroom-6-windowsmac/8236055.p

While still up it was priced at $149.

Santa, please, please let it have an improved/streamlined GUI and MUCH better browsing and preview performance!! Daddy needs him an Aperture replacement :)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Santa, please, please let it have an improved/streamlined GUI and MUCH better browsing and preview performance!! Daddy needs him an Aperture replacement :)

LOL... while I wish for it too, the first is very unlikely. Photoshop's interface is largely unchanged after 25 years, so I don't have high hopes for LR.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I wish I still had the Lightroom 1 beta around, which was nine years ago, but as I recall it looked just like the current version minus new features. Photoshop from 25 years ago does look a little different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtA46JT2q_0

I will be very surprised if there are any interface changes in Lightroom 6.

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I wish I still had the Lightroom 1 beta around, which was nine years ago, but as I recall it looked just like the current version minus new features. Photoshop from 25 years ago does look a little different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtA46JT2q_0

I will be very surprised if there are any interface changes in Lightroom 6.

That was fun :). I'd like to try PS 1 myself, but it seems to be a bit difficult to compile and run with a modern toolset, even though they released the source code.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Seems like they are going to price it such that you might as well get the subscription.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Seems like they are going to price it such that you might as well get the subscription.

If it is $149 are you saying you may as well get the subscription? If so, why? I would pay $149 for not having to pay a monthly fee. I'm working towards getting rid of random monthly fees and I don't want LR to be another. Now that Aperture is out, LR is definitely a purchase I need to make in the near future.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
If it is $149 are you saying you may as well get the subscription? If so, why? I would pay $149 for not having to pay a monthly fee. I'm working towards getting rid of random monthly fees and I don't want LR to be another. Now that Aperture is out, LR is definitely a purchase I need to make in the near future.

Why pay $150, when you can pay $120?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why pay $150, when you can pay $120?

Is the 150 the upgrade cost?

I'll say it this way, why pay 240, when you can pay 150. If you don't upgrade every version or if Adobe doesn't release it every year then the buying the box set makes more sense (provided you don't need photoshop).

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
My upgrade from LR 4 to 5 was $79. That seems to be the likely cost for the upgrade from LR 5 to 6. The price for a new LR license will be around $150.

And if you have LR older than LR 5....you will not likely get LR 6 for the upgrade price. Adobe stopped letting folks skip a release or two and still get upgrade prices when they do decide to buy.

But all that, as they say, is old news.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Me too, but I thought the rumor was the 25th, so we'll probably have to wait until Wednesday.
Schewe says:

Don't hold your breath till then...it'll come out when Adobe is ready. Clearly there are signs that it's coming but predicting the exact date based on rumors is like trying to read tea leaves to predict your future...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My upgrade from LR 4 to 5 was $79. That seems to be the likely cost for the upgrade from LR 5 to 6. The price for a new LR license will be around $150.

And if you have LR older than LR 5....you will not likely get LR 6 for the upgrade price. Adobe stopped letting folks skip a release or two and still get upgrade prices when they do decide to buy.

But all that, as they say, is old news.

Ahh, I did not know Adobe stopped allowing people to use the upgrade price on older versions.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
They did that on the Photoshop side in 2012. But on the LR side you could upgrade to LR 5 from any previous version. So with the question is....will only LR 5 upgrade to LR 6?

I guess we may find out for sure by the end of this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.