Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

instanttaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I can't seem to find anyone else that has done this and written about it. But, I may not be looking hard enough.

Here's my experience.

1) Turned on iCloud photos beta for Mac
2) Took about 4-5 days to upload 20k library (120 gigs) - Totally fine in my opinion
3) Sync was going great for a while between iPhone and Mac
4) Something happened so that I always had "31 photos uploading"
5) Tried pausing and resuming the service.
6) Turned off iCloud Photo Beta on Mac
7) Turned it back on
8) It said "adding 20000 photos" which took about 20 minutes
9) It warned me that it would use the rest of my 200GB limit
10) It started uploading the same library again

Any experiences similar to this? I was hoping it would just see that it was the same set of photos and not actually re-upload them... fixing the 31 photos syncing issue.

Don't think it's totally ready for prime time, but my experience other than that has been pretty solid.

**I can't turn it back on, however, because I don't want to sync my 20k photos again.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
I can't seem to find anyone else that has done this and written about it. But, I may not be looking hard enough.

Here's my experience.

2) Took about 4-5 days to upload 20k library (120 gigs) - Totally fine in my opinion
7) Turned it back on

Any experiences similar to this? I was hoping it would just see that it was the same set of photos and not actually re-upload them... fixing the 31 photos syncing issue.

Don't think it's totally ready for prime time, but my experience other than that has been pretty solid.

**I can't turn it back on, however, because I don't want to sync my 20k photos again.

Backup, then delete local copy, then re-enable and re-download the 20,000 photos?

instanttaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Avoid

I'd like to avoid that for now... but it's a good idea for a last resort. Did you have this problem? Or just suggesting ideas?

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Yeah I did have the same issue. Turned it off and back on again on my iPhone and instantly regretted it.

Redownload worked fine however.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Here's my experience.

7) Turned it back on

My experience was smoother.

After I turned off icloud photo library and on again (I had a problem with some photos not uploading), it showed the message "uploading X of 2500 photos". But it wasn't actually uploading anything, more like checking each photo on my device against the copy stored online, then skipping it when a copy already exists. The whole process was done in like 20 minutes, and I am on the 20gb storage plan.

This was like last month?

instanttaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Oh nice. I'm trying this today. It keeps switching back and forth between Uploading and Adding so hopefully, it's doing what it needs to do. I'll update everyone later!

Thanks for the tip.

calimed

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
I understand its a beta so plenty of kinks...

I ran into a bunch of issues but in summary would like to delete all pictures off of iCloud and essentially start over again. I have disabled the cloud services and selected the delete option under preferences --> manage storage.

Problem is that it says it takes 30 days for the files to be deleted off of the server. I assume this is for backup purposes and inadvertent deleting.

Does anyone know how I can essentially start over? i.e. completely wipe-out iCloud photos? I tried turning all my devices off cloud syncing and nothings works. Every time I turn back on the cloud it tries to resync all the files I want deleted.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone...

Thx,

instanttaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
UPDATE ON MY SITUATION

Hey all.
I just let it re-upload from Photos for Mac Beta. But, it didn't actually upload them again. It did, in fact, check to see if they were there. Sometimes it would say "Adding 11200 photos...." and sometimes it would say "Uploading 11199 photos...".

But, my library isn't double the size. It took almost a whole day to update it so I assume it was uploading some stuff that it maybe didn't get before.

Weird thing is that my local machine copy is 137GB and my iCloud library says 104.7GB. Who knows. I'm sure it will eventually make sense.

Hope this info helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.